** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Oldjohnw » 3 Aug 2019, 10:39am

Psamathe wrote:Another report about another condition we would have to accept for Boris' US Trade Deal.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-us-trade-deal-tax-corporations-tech-trump-boris-johnson-facebook-amazon-google-a9037581.html wrote:Brexit: Trump administration ‘tells Boris Johnson to drop tax on tech giants’ to secure trade deal
Threat raises further doubts about wisdom of no-deal Brexit

The Trump administration has made it clear to Boris Johnson that any post-Brexit US-UK free trade deal would rely on Britain dropping plans to tax large American tech firms, according to reports.

That together with us having to accept US low animal health standards (e.g. start importing chlorine washed chicken), as well as allowing US companies to take-over the NHS for profit, etc.

To me this just illustrates how small the UK is and how desperate our politicians are and how we will have to be bending over backwards to accommodate all the demands from those we seek trade deals with.

Ian

It's all looking so promising. Tax cuts promised but a source of revenue excluded. Quite apart from multi billion in costs.

None of this is scaremongering. It is already upon us.

You couldn't make it up.
John

Cycling and recycling

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 3 Aug 2019, 11:05am

Psamathe wrote:Another report about another condition we would have to accept for Boris' US Trade Deal.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-us-trade-deal-tax-corporations-tech-trump-boris-johnson-facebook-amazon-google-a9037581.html wrote:Brexit: Trump administration ‘tells Boris Johnson to drop tax on tech giants’ to secure trade deal

The Trump administration has made it clear to Boris Johnson that any post-Brexit US-UK free trade deal would rely on Britain dropping plans to tax large American tech firms, according to reports.

That together with us having to accept US low animal health standards (e.g. start importing chlorine washed chicken), as well as allowing US companies to take-over the NHS for profit, etc.

To me this just illustrates how small the UK is and how desperate our politicians are and how we will have to be bending over backwards to accommodate all the demands from those we seek trade deals with.

Ian

well that shouldnt surprize anyone? The US of A have never been really fair in dealing with any one. And Trump is the epitomy of US of A's attempt to strangle anything it dont like. I suppose thats how dominant powers work, we did it in the past with gunboat diplomacy esp in China forcing opium on them in exchange for tea? Dealing with countries like the US of A is the major reason for being a member of the EU these days, not keeping peace in Europe. We need a Corbyn/labour govt so that those brexitears no longer misguidedly blame the EU for their falling living standards

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 3 Aug 2019, 11:12am

Is a 'brexit ear' some kind of compound of Brexit and pig's ear?
John

Cycling and recycling

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 3 Aug 2019, 11:14am

Oldjohnw wrote:Is a 'brexit ear' some kind of compound of Brexit and pig's ear?

+1, more vocab :wink:
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

georgew

Postby georgew » 3 Aug 2019, 2:53pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:Right again Pete, in Germany for example, if someone dies or goes to Bruxelles, the next person on the list joins the parliament

Neare r than Germany. Happens in Scotland.

Dear me no.......not at all....nothing that happens in Scotland counts.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 5 Aug 2019, 11:39am

An interesting article on the background of out new chancellor, Sajid Javid.

John McDonnell has accused Sajid Javid of profiting from the greed that fuelled the financial crisis, in a stinging attack on the chancellor’s former City career before his move into politics.

Javid held several senior executive positions at the German investment bank, including a role selling collateralised debt obligations (CDOs), a type of complex and risky financial product responsible for turbocharging the financial crisis.

Deutsche Bank, which was among the biggest sellers of CDOs, was described by US senator Carl Levin as a “financial snake pit rife with greed, conflicts of interest and wrongdoing” ahead of the 2008 crash.

well he is about to do the same to the UK economy no doubt.

never liked the man since he removed Begum's citizenship just to appeal to tory hardnuts, having an eye on a post in the govt.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... GTUK_email

And it seems if Brexit-No-Deal happens then the those that voted for may be clobbered by the recession that follows, without the social safety net that Osborne dismantled. Serves them right.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... GTUK_email

The value of benefits relative to average earnings has declined markedly since the financial crisis, and is on course to decline further. Jobseeker’s allowance is set to reach its lowest value ever in 2019-20, at 14.5% of average weekly pay, a fall of 5 percentage points since 2009-10

Why on earth have Labour supporters in the North voted for this Tory Brexit from which they will see little gain? :roll: & serious losses. Is there some thing in the drinking water up North?
Last edited by Graham on 6 Aug 2019, 7:15am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: derogatory phrase replaced

Bowedw

Postby Bowedw » 5 Aug 2019, 4:41pm

So lower class people live up North mercalia? What amount of class/hate /location is this forum allowed to spread before Cycling Uk comes to its senses and stops this divisive thread. I bet British Cycling must benefit from the new members it must be getting, who would want to join Cycling UK if this is the general attitude of its members?

Psamathe

Postby Psamathe » 5 Aug 2019, 4:46pm

Bowedw wrote:So lower class people live up North mercalia? What amount of class/hate /location is this forum allowed to spread before Cycling Uk comes to its senses and stops this divisive thread. I bet British Cycling must benefit from the new members it must be getting, who would want to join this hate organisation.

???????
Sorry but what on earth are you on about? CTC/CUK a "hate organisation"?

Why do people periodically pop-up on this thread and demand it be closed? If you don't want to discuss a pretty important aspect to what is happening in the UK (and something that will certainly impact cycling and cyclists), then don't read it. But no need to start demanding it be stopped.

If there is a post you find offensive or that breaks the forum rules, there is an established mechanism to report it and the moderators will deal with it (if they consider it does violate forum rules). But to close and entire thread because you don't like one comment somebody made and you are not prepared to report that comment ....

Ian

pete75

Postby pete75 » 5 Aug 2019, 5:23pm

Bowedw wrote:So lower class people live up North mercalia? What amount of class/hate /location is this forum allowed to spread before Cycling Uk comes to its senses and stops this divisive thread. I bet British Cycling must benefit from the new members it must be getting, who would want to join Cycling UK if this is the general attitude of its members?

Mercalia mention Labour supporting people. If you equate them with being lower class it says far more about your views on class that in does about his.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 5 Aug 2019, 5:25pm

kwackers wrote:
pete75 wrote: What does gaming actually mean in a political context, it's not an expression I'm familiar with and would you have been complaining if the Tories had won?

Gaming simply means using the optimal strategy by playing the system - which is exactly what she did.

Would I have complained if the Tories won? Nope.
I complain about the system, imo it simply doesn't work which is why I was entertained by her saying the system is broken and she simply played it.
As she said; people had the chance to fix it and didn't so this is how it is at the moment.

So why are you complaining about the system when the Lib Dems won?

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 5 Aug 2019, 5:54pm

Bowedw wrote:So lower class people live up North mercalia? What amount of class/hate /location is this forum allowed to spread before Cycling Uk comes to its senses and stops this divisive thread. I bet British Cycling must benefit from the new members it must be getting, who would want to join Cycling UK if this is the general attitude of its members?
I quite understand your anger, but mercalia does not speak for the rest of us. Indeed he only speaks for himself, if that! All I can say is, I wouldn't use a phrase like that - nor would most others on this forum.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Bowedw

Postby Bowedw » 5 Aug 2019, 5:57pm

I stand corrected, it seems that mercalia was not singling out people by location only those that voted for Brexit wherever they live. What about the comment the Labour supporters up North having something in their drinking water. Does this apply to all Labour supporters all over the UK?

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 5 Aug 2019, 6:03pm

I have something in my drinking water ... usually a fine Scotch!

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 5 Aug 2019, 6:39pm

pete75 wrote:
kwackers wrote:
pete75 wrote: What does gaming actually mean in a political context, it's not an expression I'm familiar with and would you have been complaining if the Tories had won?

Gaming simply means using the optimal strategy by playing the system - which is exactly what she did.

Would I have complained if the Tories won? Nope.
I complain about the system, imo it simply doesn't work which is why I was entertained by her saying the system is broken and she simply played it.
As she said; people had the chance to fix it and didn't so this is how it is at the moment.

So why are you complaining about the system when the Lib Dems won?

What?

I'm simply complaining about the system.
I don't give a monkeys who won.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 5 Aug 2019, 7:21pm

Oldjohnw wrote:

Ian

It's all looking so promising. Tax cuts promised but a source of revenue excluded. Quite apart from multi billion in costs.

None of this is scaremongering. It is already upon us.

You couldn't make it up.

Boris makes it up (everything he says) and always has done.

But this is the New Model Western Politics, modelled somewhat on the Soviet and Mao mode, in which Orwellian double-speak and similar devices are employed to make anything "true". And for each such "truth" there are millions only too keen to believe it. You'll find the process occurring on this forum in this very thread. Of course, it's best illuminated by Trumpet, who is so bad at lying it becomes obvious ... except to those excited by his lack of "political correctness", it seems. Even those sort of people are found here, albeit in very small numbers - which is both dismaying and astonishing really.

A necessary adjunct of this mode is to do away with truth tests. One such is disinterested journalism of the ethical kind. That's been done away with apart from a few tiny exceptions that hardly anyone can find. Newspaps such as The Daily Hate Mail and The Torygraph have become nothing but purveyors of these made-up-stuffs. Indeed, Boris perfected his lying as a "journalist" for that nasty organ of The Nasty Party.

Even when events thrust the more traditional truths in our faces, many prefer to ignore them or to insist that they are really conspiracy-stuff from "leftists" (whatever they are). It really is astonishing how many are glad to welcome old-fashioned lies as truth; and to deny the lies even as they sink under a wave of non-alternative reality.

Cugel