** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bovlomov

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by bovlomov »

reohn2 wrote:Psamathe,PQ,Bov.
When you've been banging you head against a wall,it ain't half nice when you stop :) .
Chaps you're wasting your time trying to talk sence to those how won't listen to sense and reason :wink:

These 1200+ pages of beautiful discussion will be examined by future historians (and psychologists), students will paper their walls with prints of the most profound posts, and romantics will dream that they too were part of The Great Brexit Thread. There will be Top Trumps sets of forum members, and young lovers will lay roses on our graves every (?)October 31st.

Wasting our time?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote: .......Wasting our time?

IMHO the only time the brexit nutters will realise the damage they've caused to this nation is when it's down the tubes.
What with the lunatics in charge of the country presently,bolstered by the Brexit supporting idiots,people with the most extreme delusions of grandeur,it's well on the way already.
Those stupid people won't see it until we're all upto our necks in the brown excrement of their making!
The loonies have now truly taken over the asylum!

PS,I don't wish to debate the issue it's well past all that.
Last edited by reohn2 on 22 Aug 2019, 7:40am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It's sort of analogous to this piece of wisdom
1. Every driver thinks they're a good driver.
2. The only time a driver realises what a lousy driver they are, is when they've killed someone.
I'd rather no.2 didn't have to happen. Wouldn't you? :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:It's sort of analogous to this piece of wisdom
1. Every driver thinks they're a good driver.
2. The only time a driver realises what a lousy driver they are, is when they've killed someone.
I'd rather no.2 didn't have to happen. Wouldn't you? :(

Many drivers realise they're not as good as they thought they were in incidents where nobody is killed.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:You have been taken in by the EU polish I think. You've got it all wrong. It is a EU problem, just as much ours, which THEY will have to solve if there is a no deal Brexit. THEY wont be able to pass the buck to the UK. You want to make it soley our problem it isnt, rather it its a joint problem but the EU is refusing to see it that way. The 30 days thing just reinforces what I said above. The EU is run by deluded bureacrats on a power trip thinking they can dominate matters ( they may be able to, but that dont change the nature of their actions, ie not the behaviour of a democratic org)

Rubbish. The problem has been caused by the UK decison to leave.

Your view is typical amongst Brexiters - all problems are the fault of the evil EU. You are deluded if you can't realise that all the problems have been caused by you and your fellow Brexit voters. You've created a problem but want to blame others for it.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:You have been taken in by the EU polish I think. You've got it all wrong. It is a EU problem, just as much ours, which THEY will have to solve if there is a no deal Brexit. THEY wont be able to pass the buck to the UK. You want to make it soley our problem it isnt, rather it its a joint problem but the EU is refusing to see it that way. The 30 days thing just reinforces what I said above. The EU is run by deluded bureacrats on a power trip thinking they can dominate matters ( they may be able to, but that dont change the nature of their actions, ie not the behaviour of a democratic org)

Your view is typical amongst Brexiters - all problems are the fault of the evil EU. You are deluded if you can't realise that all the problems have been caused by you and your fellow Brexit voters. You've created a problem but want to blame others for it.

The problem is that the Pro-Brexit lobby really expected every single whim to be agreed to immediately and without question... even the absurd, ridiculous and contradictory ones.

Then when the. Eu appallingly had the audacity to actually act in the interests of their members there is shock, dismay, bleating and wringing of hands
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
Mike Sales wrote: the village with the longest [English] compound place name in Britain

FTFY ;)

You qualify my assertion. Do you know of longer compound place names in Wales or Scotland?
It would be interesting to learn them.

There are none.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:

eh :?: I am not a Brexit-eer. so thats another thing you have got wrong. But I do point the finger at the EUs dishonest position

Merkel gives Johnson 30 days to find solution to avoid no-deal Brexit

should bejust as valid

Johnson gives Merkel 30 days to find solution to avoid no-deal Brexit

The problem ISNT the UKs problem, soley. Therein is the dishonesty and buck passing of the EU. The EU is arrogant and deluded, trying to avoid responsibility, because to do so would create complications for its internal market. The fact is it cant both adhere to the GFA and also a strict interpretation of its internal market - its denying reality, pretending its the UKs problem and therfore the UK has to suffer. Therein is the delusion. The delusions of a bully.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eal-brexit
Last edited by mercalia on 22 Aug 2019, 9:00am, edited 10 times in total.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
Vorpal wrote:FTFY ;)

You qualify my assertion. Do you know of longer compound place names in Wales or Scotland?

There are none.

Isn't Llanfairpwllgwyngyll​gogerychwyrndrob​wllllantysiliogogogoch a compound name? :lol:

Edited to add, there are a few Scots Gaelic place names that qualify
Sgeir Mhòr Niall MacDhonnchaidh
Ben Avon Leabaidh an Daimh Bhuidhe
Buachaille Etive Mor, Stob na Broige
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

mercalia wrote:... But I do point the finger at the EUs dishonest position

So the EU is dishonest but Johnson isnt? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

The serious point is that the UK govt claims to want to avoid a hard border, and claims to believe that "alternative arrangements" can easily be devised to achieve that, even if UK quits customs union and single market. EU's response has been that just in case those arrangements won't quite be ready in time, the backstop would kick in temporarily until they are. And then UK govt is somehow not so confident about these alternative arrangements - whining that we could be stuck permanently in the backstop.

So who's position is dishonest?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:

eh :?: I am not a Brexit-eer. so thats another thing you have got wrong. But I do point the finger at the EUs dishonest position

should bejust as valid

The problem ISNT the UKs problem, soley. Therein is the dishonesty and buck passing of the EU. The EU is arrogant and deluded, trying to avoid responsibility, because to do so would create complications for its internal market. The fact is it cant both adhere to the GFA and also a strict interpretation of its internal market - its denying reality, pretending its the UKs problem and therfore the UK has to suffer. Therein is the delusion. The delusions of a bully.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eal-brexit

1. The UK would like to have two different border regimes with the EU, one at ports and an entirely different one in NI.
2. This is a UK demand - the EU is happy with one, as we have now.
3. The UK is obliged under WTO to control trade across the NI border, unless there is a free trade agreement which aligns customs tariffs (ie unless we're in a customs union).
4. The UK proposed the backstop to meet this obligation, whilst "alternative arrangements" are developed to try and circumvent that need.
5. Nobody anywhere believes these "alternative arrangements" can be put in place during a two year transition, and many are sceptical in the extreme if it is possible at all.

It is the UK demand for two borders with the EU with contradictory requirements which is the root of the problem. No other countries in the world anywhere have such an arrangement.

To say that it is EU bullying to point this out is, frankly, beyond bizarre.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mikeonabike wrote:So who's position is dishonest?

After three years, we need to go back to the start.

An honest Brexit is possible, but nothing, so far, about the Government's approach has been honest, and for that reason it will fail. It's only a matter of how soon and how much damage is caused along the way.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:

should bejust as valid

Why should it? It's not the EU that wants out.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Vorpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

There are none.

Isn't Llanfairpwllgwyngyll​gogerychwyrndrob​wllllantysiliogogogoch a compound name? :lol:

Edited to add, there are a few Scots Gaelic place names that qualify
Sgeir Mhòr Niall MacDhonnchaidh
Ben Avon Leabaidh an Daimh Bhuidhe
Buachaille Etive Mor, Stob na Broige

Llanfair etc is not a compound in the same way as North Leverton.
It is not even a place name in any real sense, it is a confection for tourists. Look for it on a map.
Nobody ever calls it that in full of course, it is LlanfairPG or Llanfairpwll.
It is as real as Gelert's grave in Beddgelert.
Your Scots names are geographical features, not villages.
Stob na Broige is one of the summits of Buachaille Etive Mor, for instance.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?