** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:eh :?: I am not a Brexit-eer.

In which case you're damned good actor

mercalia wrote:The problem ISNT the UKs problem, soley. Therein is the dishonesty and buck passing of the EU. The EU is arrogant and deluded, trying to avoid responsibility, because to do so would create complications for its internal market. The fact is it cant both adhere to the GFA and also a strict interpretation of its internal market - its denying reality, pretending its the UKs problem and therfore the UK has to suffer. Therein is the delusion. The delusions of a bully.

The problem is entirely of the UK's making is it not?

No not an act. I think the current EU needs a serious shake up get rid of the Franco-German axis of power for one.

The problem is one of Mays making as she should never have proceeded with producing a dumb deal. Should have told the EU to stop interfering in UK politics ( the GFA ) and deal with the UK as they would any other country leaving the EU - The Irish would then have seen the EU is not an ally "on their side" as they would be quite happy to have the violence start again, just to preseve their precious internal market.

The World At One. An expert spoke on how borders are changing that the days of the man in the booth type or even at ports is coming to the end, that the EU have an increasingly anachronistic viewpoint. He claimed that even now most is done electronically in the UK( Tony Smith former director of Border Force, he claimed I think the EU havent wanted to see his reports - The EU are so obsessed with protecting the single market, what ever they say they have a closed mind)

Yes but the GFA is not solely a matter of UK politics. It's an agreement between the UK and Ireland. Ireland is an EU member and will remain so. That's why the EU is negotiating on their behalf as the talks are between the UK and the EU as a whole, not individual countries.
What happens to the GFA appears to be a concern of more just the EU and the UK. The USA for a start and it may have significant effect on any US/UK trade deal.
"A US-UK trade deal will not get through Congress if Brexit undermines the Good Friday Agreement, the Speaker of the US House of Representatives has said."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49348062

Hmmmm travelling between Britain and Europe they it almost always takes longer to get out out of UK airports on landing.
Just like the UK most EU airports have a mixture of manual and electronic checking stations. They are quite familiar with the system and don't need someone from the UK to tell them how it works.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Vorpal wrote:You did say place names. If it is limited to villages, you are probably right, though I guess there are a few that come close.

A good friend of mine from North Lincs. (from the village with the longest compound place name in Britain) is called Roth.

This was my first introduction of the subject.
Saying that Stob na Broige, Buchaille Etive Mor is one name is like saying for instance, Swineshead, Lincolnshire is one name and you might even add England to make it really long. Swineshead Lincolnshire England!
As it happens I know the summit of Stob Dearg, Buchaille Etive Mor well. I have stumbled about the top of it in a snowstorm in the dark.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mike Sales wrote:
Vorpal wrote:You did say place names. If it is limited to villages, you are probably right, though I guess there are a few that come close.

A good friend of mine from North Lincs. (from the village with the longest compound place name in Britain) is called Roth.

Saying that Stob na Broige, Buchaille Etive Mor is one name is like saying for instance, Swineshead, Lincolnshire is one name and you might even add England to make it really long. Swineshead Lincolnshire England!
As it happens I know the summit of Stob Dearg, Buchaille Etive Mor well. I have stumbled about the top of it in a snowstorm in the dark.

Buchaille Etive Mor has more than one bump, so I think both parts of the name are needed to identify it as a place. But your criticism of that place name is as a candidate is fair enough. There are, however, lots of compound places names in Scots Gaelic that are quite long. Anyway, my posting was at least half a joke, and not meant to start an argument.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Vorpal wrote:Anyway, my posting was at least half a joke, and not meant to start an argument.

Indeed, it is not really a very important question.
I was hoping to be told the name of some village which outstretched N.Leverton, though.
One does not like to continue in error.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:
The problem is one of Mays making as she should never have proceeded with producing a dumb deal. Should have told the EU to stop interfering in UK politics ( the GFA ) and deal with the UK as they would any other country leaving the EU - The Irish would then have seen the EU is not an ally "on their side" as they would be quite happy to have the violence start again, just to preseve their precious internal market.

Good grief.

The EU is not merely an ally of Ireland, Ireland is in the EU!

This does not seem to have sunk in, to you or to Brexiters: The EU will stick together. We are weaker by leaving.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mike Sales wrote:

Or North Leverton with Habblesthorpe, Nottinghamshire
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Good grief.

This does not seem to have sunk in, to you or to Brexiters: The EU will stick together. We are weaker by leaving.

hmm the impression I get is that the countries in the EU are more or less figthing one another - The Greeks resentful of the Germans dictating the terms of getting bailouts , The eastern european countries who wont accept the migrants. the Italians also who wont any more. And had the EU not interefered in Anglo Irish politics so would the Irish. Yep they are all one happy family.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:In which case you're damned good actor

The problem is entirely of the UK's making is it not?

No not an act. I think the current EU needs a serious shake up get rid of the Franco-German axis of power for one.

The World At One. An expert spoke on how borders are changing that the days of the man in the booth type or even at ports is coming to the end, that the EU have an increasingly anachronistic viewpoint. He claimed that even now most is done electronically in the UK( Tony Smith former director of Border Force, he claimed I think the EU havent wanted to see his reports - The EU are so obsessed with protecting the single market, what ever they say they have a closed mind)

Yes but the GFA is not solely a matter of UK politics. It's an agreement between the UK and Ireland. Ireland is an EU member and will remain so. That's why the EU is negotiating on their behalf as the talks are between the UK and the EU as a whole, not individual countries.
What happens to the GFA appears to be a concern of more just the EU and the UK. The USA for a start and it may have significant effect on any US/UK trade deal.
"A US-UK trade deal will not get through Congress if Brexit undermines the Good Friday Agreement, the Speaker of the US House of Representatives has said."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49348062

Hmmmm travelling between Britain and Europe they it almost always takes longer to get out out of UK airports on landing.
Just like the UK most EU airports have a mixture of manual and electronic checking stations. They are quite familiar with the system and don't need someone from the UK to tell them how it works.

That may be true at airports but if the World At One guy is to be believed not dealing with customs in general.
The EU is negotiating on their behalf as they see it is an ideal way to piggybag their single market demands on to the GFA - thats whats causing the trouble. They need to be kept separate as I keep on saying. The requirements of the GFA are less demanding than the single market demands.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
That may be true at airports but if the World At One guy is to be believed not dealing with customs in general.
The EU is negotiating on their behalf as they see it is an ideal way to piggybag their single market demands on to the GFA - thats whats causing the trouble. They need to be kept separate as I keep on saying. The requirements of the GFA are less demanding than the single market demands.

In case you hadn't noticed there are no custom spost between EU nations. WHat's causing the trouble is the UK failing to implement Brexit deal negotiated by the previous PM and voted for by the current one.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Good grief.

hmm the impression I get is that the countries in the EU are more or less figthing one another - The Greeks resentful of the Germans dictating the terms of getting bailouts , The eastern european countries who wont accept the migrants. the Italians also who wont any more. And had the EU not interefered in Anglo Irish politics so would the Irish. Yep they are all one happy family.

Well, they seem absolutely united on Brexit.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Every other country in the EU does what the paymasters say. We are opting out of that and the paymasters are throwing toys out of their prams. That's what it's all about, relinquishing control over Britain. Only naivity blinds you to that. They have got the hump! :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
georgew

Post by georgew »

al_yrpal wrote:Every other country in the EU does what the paymasters say. We are opting out of that and the paymasters are throwing toys out of their prams. That's what it's all about, relinquishing control over Britain. Only naivity blinds you to that. They have got the hump! :lol:

Al

Sigh......God help you and all that sail in you.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

al_yrpal wrote:Every other country in the EU does what the paymasters say. We are opting out of that and the paymasters are throwing toys out of their prams. That's what it's all about, relinquishing control over Britain. Only naivity blinds you to that. They have got the hump! :lol:

You must have a very low opinion of Britain, to think that the country was under the control of the 'paymasters' for all those years. Did anyone tell Thatcher? I thought the complaint was that we were the paymasters. Surely, then, we had the control.

Gosh, we must have been right mugs, paying in all that money while the other two paymasters were controlling everything. No wonder they don't want us to leave!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

And here is why the EU is not to be trusted

The EU has said it will consider other solutions to the Irish border problem, but only once the current Brexit deal has been signed off. It has also expressed doubts about a technological solution:

"We looked at every border on this Earth, every border the EU has with a third country - there's simply no way you can do away with checks and controls," its director-general for trade, Sabine Weyand, said in January.

ergo the would never let the UK leave the backstop? Hardly the behaviour of a friendly group of nations?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48826360

The article explains clearly it is the EU rules and regulations that are causing the trouble - not up to dealing with the reallity of the situation. So the UK is supposed to be compromised just due to EU shortcomings.

Any way the backstop as to do with the internal market belongs to the trade talks and not before. Maybe an arrangement for the GFA should be part of the Brexit ist stage, but as I repeatedly say that is less demanding than that for the internal market protection. SInce the EU wants to split matters in this way its their fault this problem goes unsolved. Why should the UK suffer because of EU inflexability?

Its the bureacratic mindset, rules is rules. The EU has now has getting on 3 years to deal with the reaility of the situation but has done nothing in the way of reforming its self, just keep on bleating out the brexit deal cant be changed baaa baaa
Last edited by mercalia on 22 Aug 2019, 4:26pm, edited 6 times in total.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

bovlomov wrote:

You must have a very low opinion of Britain, to think that the country was under the control of the 'paymasters' for all those years. Did anyone tell Thatcher? I thought the complaint was that we were the paymasters. Surely, then, we had the control.

Gosh, we must have been right mugs, paying in all that money while the other two paymasters were controlling everything. No wonder they don't want us to leave!

Just another internal contradiction of Brexit:

The EU wants us to stay for our money; the EU is controlled by its paymasters; yet we have no control over the EU.