** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Mick F »

Vorpal wrote:I don't think anyone on this thread has said anything that could even be interpretted to suggest that they hate the UK.

I was called a traitor by Hobbs1951.

He's still on my ignore list because of that insult.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I don't think anyone on this thread has said anything that could even be interpretted to suggest that they hate the UK.

Really? Couldn't find that word in any of his posts (and he's not on my ignore list!) - maybe it's been Moderated?

I prefer not to use Ignore lists. If someone (rarely) insults me, I'd rather know whether they're continuing to play that game, or whether they're showing remorse.

Anyway, the Ignore system doesn't fully work because if someone quotes a post from one of your "ignored", you still get to see it.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

661-Pete wrote: - maybe it's been Moderated?
Yes, it was.
Mick F. Cornwall
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Mick F wrote:

For the record, many have commented in the past (not here) that voting to the leave the EU was a vote of treachery: that those Leavers may be regarded as traitors is very different to calling an individual Leave voter a traitor.

Vorpal's comment makes little sense to me, many traitors might argue that they love(d) their country - Blunt et al.

All seems a little irrelevant 3 + years down the line, the U.K's position has declined in the world, those that bang on about sovereignty are clueless - we are FUBAR'd. And I have said this before, those that voted Leave should take the consequences, those that voted Remain should not. It still remains that I've yet to see ONE rational argument - here - for the benefits of leaving the EU, but as this continuing shambles of a government cannot then there's little chance of any Leaver here doing so.

John.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:
661-Pete wrote: - maybe it's been Moderated?
Yes, it was.

Oh well, I've been insulted terribly in posts now removed too. I feel like far more dirt is being flung at Europhiles than Europhobes but it may just be what I'm reporting!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:I don't think anyone on this thread has said anything that could even be interpretted to suggest that they hate the UK....

Al's post in total(my emphasis),Britain is the UK AFAIA.
al_yrpal wrote:This thread is turning into Pedants Corner. I suspect its full of teechers :roll: still the same old posters with the same old carefully guarded insults and slurs for anyone who has the temerity to hold a different view ..... yaaaawn

As for Leavers being frightened of the EU !!! The most self evident thing about so many Remainers is that they seem to be petrified of Britain standing on its own feet and running its own affairs, deciding who can come here and deciding who we trade with. A glaring case of Pot Kettle and Black ! Some clearly hate Britain, fsome have deserted Britain and some are convinced Britain is run by wicked plutocrat Tories unchallenged in full sight of the public which is patently a view shared with people like the Raving Monster Looney Party :lol:

Give it a rest guys. We respect your right to hold your views, respect ours.

Al
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
Mick F wrote:

For the record, many have commented in the past (not here) that voting to the leave the EU was a vote of treachery: that those Leavers may be regarded as traitors is very different to calling an individual Leave voter a traitor.

Vorpal's comment makes little sense to me, many traitors might argue that they love(d) their country - Blunt et al.

All seems a little irrelevant 3 + years down the line, the U.K's position has declined in the world, those that bang on about sovereignty are clueless - we are FUBAR'd. And I have said this before, those that voted Leave should take the consequences, those that voted Remain should not. It still remains that I've yet to see ONE rational argument - here - for the benefits of leaving the EU, but as this continuing shambles of a government cannot then there's little chance of any Leaver here doing so.

John.

Much of Brexit - and most of the politicians now actively involved in pushing the latest mad no-deal dogma - exhibit all the attributes of a cult.

There are "leaders" who perform the madness-inducing rhetoric and antics. They are quite knowing, for the most part, about what they're doing. They have the usual "hidden" agenda (hidden only from their blinkered followers) which is to do with the acquisition of money and power. Many have no real belief in Brexit except as a vehicle to gain that money and power.

There are the desperate followers, latching on the the "leaders" mad promises and made-up revelations about "evil enemies", to assuage the follower's various angsts and feelings of disaffection. They know no reason, only the made-up bogeymen and the impossible promises they hear.

End times are coming, as BoJo and Co head towards their economic Jonestown moment. Sadly it's not just the Brexit culters who will be forced to drink the Kool-Aide. We're all going to be forced to glug it down.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:

Those supporting Remain are being called traitors and saboteurs all the time these days (mainstream press, PM, etc.) (as well as "anti-democratic", etc.). So join the club.

(Should I put our PM on my ignore list? because he has not apologised to me)

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Being called a traitor was a big insult to me, and not one I will forgive.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

May I just say that I am sure Mickf is lover of the UK.
I would say he loves it profoundly.

The tragedy for me is that some of this love does not extend over the Channel.
For there is much good (and some bad) on both sides.

We will be stronger in the coming years if we remain closely affiliated with Europe, IMV.

We have many excellent EU agreements already.
I find the EU fair, and Europe a culturally similar entity to good old Blighty.
We have a veto for things we do not like or would like to see changed.

These are built up benefits and agreements negotiated over long years. Such a process takes and has taken time and money and a deal of it.
The benefits are legion.

Cornwall has benefitted financially a good deal from EU membership. Hopefully the Cornish Councils have used it wisely.

I for one do not wish to see more control of my country go over the Atlantic.
Trump is totally rapacious, it's what he does. His whole reputation is built upon it.
After Brexit that is surely what will happen because our silly present Govt. will be desperate for quick deals.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
Mick F wrote:

Really? Couldn't find that word in any of his posts (and he's not on my ignore list!) - maybe it's been Moderated?

I prefer not to use Ignore lists. If someone (rarely) insults me, I'd rather know whether they're continuing to play that game, or whether they're showing remorse.

Anyway, the Ignore system doesn't fully work because if someone quotes a post from one of your "ignored", you still get to see it.

It must have been moderated because I can remember replying. I simply asked the poster how he could regard someone who served for so long in the navy as a traitor.
Last edited by pete75 on 16 Sep 2019, 10:47am, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pete75 wrote:It must have been moderated because I can remember replying. I simply asking the poster how he could regard someone who served for so long in the navy as a traitor.

Hmm.
Long service in the military or the police or even Govt. is not a total guarantee of patriotism.
IMHO.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
pete75 wrote:It must have been moderated because I can remember replying. I simply asking the poster how he could regard someone who served for so long in the navy as a traitor.

Hmm.
Long service in the military or the police or even Govt. is not a total guarantee of patriotism.
IMHO.

Hmm. You obviously don't know the difference between treachery and patriotism. If someone isn't patriotic it doesn't mean they are also a traitor.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

All this debate about "loving your country" or "hating your country" seems a bit weird to me. I don't "love my country" nor do I hate it. I often think that strong nationalism can be the cause of so many problems in the world and with humanity.

Why should I love my country and more than I might love France or Germany or Peru or anywhere else. People are people and in any group there will be some you get on with and some you don't - and I don't see the bit of land you happen to have been born on as being a bit determinator n that regard.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PDQ Mobile wrote:May I just say that I am sure Mickf is lover of the UK.
I would say he loves it profoundly.

The tragedy for me is that some of this love does not extend over the Channel.
For there is much good (and some bad) on both sides.

We will be stronger in the coming years if we remain closely affiliated with Europe, IMV.

Para 1. Thank you.
Para 2. I don't dislike the Europeans in the slightest.
Para 3. Agree, but it depends on what you mean by "closely affiliated". That is the issue here ............... not casting UK adrift.
Mick F. Cornwall