** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
merseymouth
Posts: 1114
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby merseymouth » 19 Sep 2019, 1:12pm

Hello there, So a number of posters seem to be saying that we must accept into this country anyone who wants to come ?
With over 66 million + already in the country what might be their suggest feasible number which the U.K. can manage before it goes into total meltdown? As we already have serious housing issues it would appear to be quite illogical to assume we can cope with an open ended number of incomers.
Even requesting "Medical Tourists" to pay for the extra services that they impose on the NHS causes certain lobby groups to go into apoplexy, Ultra Liberalism at great cost to U.K. PLC, so where are the extra funds to come from to pay for the upkeep of an out of control population expansion?
I do of course expect to be called a heartless NIMBY, despite trying to be pragmatic! IGICB MM

Oldjohnw
Posts: 1919
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Oldjohnw » 19 Sep 2019, 1:22pm

merseymouth wrote:Hello there, So a number of posters seem to be saying that we must accept into this country anyone who wants to come ?
With over 66 million + already in the country what might be their suggest feasible number which the U.K. can manage before it goes into total meltdown? As we already have serious housing issues it would appear to be quite illogical to assume we can cope with an open ended number of incomers.
Even requesting "Medical Tourists" to pay for the extra services that they impose on the NHS causes certain lobby groups to go into apoplexy, Ultra Liberalism at great cost to U.K. PLC, so where are the extra funds to come from to pay for the upkeep of an out of control population expansion?
I do of course expect to be called a heartless NIMBY, despite trying to be pragmatic! IGICB MM


Who suggested we accept all comers? Sorry to ask for such boring stuff as evidence.
John

Cycling and recycling

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 13995
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby mjr » 19 Sep 2019, 2:03pm

merseymouth wrote:Hello there, So a number of posters seem to be saying that we must accept into this country anyone who wants to come ?

I've not seen anyone saying that, but I did ask why you voted for more refugees to come here?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46741
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Mick F » 19 Sep 2019, 2:24pm

Why don't we just open the doors to anyone and everybody to come here to UK.
Then, when all the nice places to live in the sunshine somewhere are quiet and empty, we can all go and live there instead.

British winters are grim. I fancy southern Spain or Italy.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7774
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby al_yrpal » 19 Sep 2019, 2:27pm

merseymouth wrote:Hello there, So a number of posters seem to be saying that we must accept into this country anyone who wants to come ?
With over 66 million + already in the country what might be their suggest feasible number which the U.K. can manage before it goes into total meltdown? As we already have serious housing issues it would appear to be quite illogical to assume we can cope with an open ended number of incomers.
Even requesting "Medical Tourists" to pay for the extra services that they impose on the NHS causes certain lobby groups to go into apoplexy, Ultra Liberalism at great cost to U.K. PLC, so where are the extra funds to come from to pay for the upkeep of an out of control population expansion?
I do of course expect to be called a heartless NIMBY, despite trying to be pragmatic! IGICB MM


MM watch it! You risk being called a racist instead of a pragmatist.....anyone who wants to come from the EU...at the moment.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

Psamathe
Posts: 10588
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Psamathe » 19 Sep 2019, 2:45pm

merseymouth wrote:... So a number of posters seem to be saying that we must accept into this country anyone who wants to come ?.... IGICB MM

I don't recall anybody suggesting that. You must provide a link or quote such a post/posts.

Ian

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 2231
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby roubaixtuesday » 19 Sep 2019, 2:55pm

merseymouth wrote:Hello there, So a number of posters seem to be saying that we must accept into this country anyone who wants to come ?
With over 66 million + already in the country what might be their suggest feasible number which the U.K. can manage before it goes into total meltdown? As we already have serious housing issues it would appear to be quite illogical to assume we can cope with an open ended number of incomers.
Even requesting "Medical Tourists" to pay for the extra services that they impose on the NHS causes certain lobby groups to go into apoplexy, Ultra Liberalism at great cost to U.K. PLC, so where are the extra funds to come from to pay for the upkeep of an out of control population expansion?
I do of course expect to be called a heartless NIMBY, despite trying to be pragmatic! IGICB MM


You seem to be the one showing signs of apoplexy.

Psamathe
Posts: 10588
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Psamathe » 19 Sep 2019, 3:16pm

mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Quite serious that's what Finland have said.

Now irrelevant because the UK have complied with Germany's deadline of today and submitted proposals in writing!

Of course, they may know now, but we still don't. The Leave elite keep us in the dark as usual (because secrecy is such a good way to defend stupid ideas?) and wait for the more open, accountable and democratic EU to publish and then the Leavers will whine about the lack of secrecy about their plans for our future!



try here

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/r ... son-wants/

If that is what Piffle has proposed I suspect the EU will appreciate being given a good laugh. Seems to contain most of the elements the EU have previously rejected e.g. unilateral termination, checks away from the border with without all the "using technology that isn't available yet",... Seems little more than crossing out the Backstop.

I suspect it isn't what was submitted as it isn't really a viable solution.

Ian

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17296
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Vorpal » 19 Sep 2019, 3:33pm

merseymouth wrote:Hello there, So a number of posters seem to be saying that we must accept into this country anyone who wants to come ?
With over 66 million + already in the country what might be their suggest feasible number which the U.K. can manage before it goes into total meltdown? As we already have serious housing issues it would appear to be quite illogical to assume we can cope with an open ended number of incomers.

Even if someone said that (I haven't seen it), what does it have to do with Brexit?

The UK could have implemented more stringent immigration controls without leaving the EU, and declined to do so.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

merseymouth
Posts: 1114
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby merseymouth » 19 Sep 2019, 4:38pm

Hello Vorpal, So we could implement stricter border control without leaving the E.U.? No evidence of that because each time the issue has been raised we have been shouted down as little islanders! As I read it the imminent "Super State" will stipulate that all member states must accept a chunk of folk who have landed in mainland Europe without exception? A number of members have raised more than an eyebrow over being coerced into forced immigration.
Just because folk say that they want to cross France to get to the U.K. does not give them the right to do so, nor does it give leave for France to let them!
Just because someone lands & registers in an E.U. country why should it be accepted that they can just waltz into this country. Also as you live remote from this country why presume a right to dictate our politics, I wouldn't presume to meddle in Norwegian affairs! Maybe another case of "Multiple Citizenship"? MM

Oldjohnw
Posts: 1919
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Oldjohnw » 19 Sep 2019, 4:57pm

Farage's infamous poster showed huge queue of Asian/Middle Eastern men, implying that they were all on their way here. Firstly, they weren't. Secondly, we had control of our borders anyway: nothing to do with the EU.
John

Cycling and recycling

Psamathe
Posts: 10588
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Psamathe » 19 Sep 2019, 5:20pm

merseymouth wrote:Hello Vorpal, So we could implement stricter border control without leaving the E.U.? No evidence of that because each time the issue has been raised we have been shouted down as little islanders!....

You are confusing what we could do with what we have chosen to do. The current immigration patterns are an economic benefit to the UK so we could tighten things but not good for the economy. So we chose to be laxer.

merseymouth wrote:....As I read it the imminent "Super State" will stipulate that all member states must accept a chunk of folk who have landed in mainland Europe without exception? A number of members have raised more than an eyebrow over being coerced into forced immigration.
Just because folk say that they want to cross France to get to the U.K. does not give them the right to do so, nor does it give leave for France to let them!....

Me thinks you have been listening to too much Farangé. We are not being forced to take numbers of immigrants by the EU. Those who cross from France to UK are not EU but refugees. When they arrive in the UK they claim asylum which is an international convention and will be exactly the same after we leave the EU (except our border checks may have to move from France to UK so we will get more people coming across and claiming asylum).

Ian

mercalia
Posts: 11491
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby mercalia » 19 Sep 2019, 5:27pm

The BBC reviews Camerons claims about calling the referendum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49753420

it seems that the Lib Dems were the first to call for one :shock:

Current leader of the party Jo Swinson said in Parliament in 2008 that the Liberal Democrats "would like to have a referendum on the major issue of whether we are in or out of Europe".

An official party leaflet from around this time also supported the idea.


so its all the Lib-Dems fault :lol:

Psamathe
Posts: 10588
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Psamathe » 19 Sep 2019, 5:37pm

mercalia wrote:The BBC reviews Camerons claims about calling the referendum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49753420

it seems that the Lib Dems were the first to call for one :shock:

Current leader of the party Jo Swinson said in Parliament in 2008 that the Liberal Democrats "would like to have a referendum on the major issue of whether we are in or out of Europe".

An official party leaflet from around this time also supported the idea.


so its all the Lib-Dems fault :lol:

My impression is not that the referendum was the cause but the basis it was carried out on. I disagree with holding the referendum at all ('cos the one called was purely for Conservative Party management), but for major constitutional changes like leaving the EU we need a significant majority to make a change NOT a "one vote can win it". Either a minimum percentage of the electorate e.g. above 50% of the electorate (not 50% of the votes) or 70:30 or 60:40 or something. Most countries require such majorities for such major changes.

Reason this was not done was the referendum was an internal Conservative Party management issue by Cameron who was an entitled incompetent fool who knew he could not lose. And now he's trying to make even more money from his unparalleled failure by writing a fantasy about how it was everybody else's fault.

Ian

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 13995
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby mjr » 19 Sep 2019, 5:38pm

mercalia wrote:The BBC reviews Camerons claims about calling the referendum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49753420

it seems that the Lib Dems were the first to call for one :shock:

Current leader of the party Jo Swinson said in Parliament in 2008 that the Liberal Democrats "would like to have a referendum on the major issue of whether we are in or out of Europe".

An official party leaflet from around this time also supported the idea.


so its all the Lib-Dems fault :lol:

Maybe the first to call for a referendum (but I doubt that, from what I remember of Green Party politics in the late 1990s!) but I doubt they wanted the reality-versus-all-fantasies referendum we had and I suspect none of the parties have completely clean hands about EU membership, all having various isolationist and some even xenophobic elements.

But why hold this against today's Lib Dems? Do we have no longer have joy over a sinner who repents? Or even over a politician who changes their mind to the correct view? ;)

That looks like an attempt by the Brexit Broadcasting Company to continue the Liberal Distraction tactic and reduce the number of people talking about what the Conservatives UK government has offered in today's secret documents to the EU and why we're not allowed to see what our ministers are up to on this matter of national importance.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.