** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
horizon

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by horizon »

The odd thing is of course that Hungary and a Tory-led UK are natural allies within the EU so it would be ironic if they facilitated our departure. Getting rid of Gemany - now there's an idea for Orban.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

https://youtu.be/eLH-wXNCtEA

Did anyone think it was anyother way?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

reohn2 wrote:https://youtu.be/eLH-wXNCtEA

Yes.
All those idiots who believe he's "a man of the people" :x
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Unbelievable - and yet believable. And the way to win populist votes, it seems.

This is the only place I'd like to see BoJo. And the sooner the better!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

100%JR wrote:

Yes.
All those idiots who believe he's "a man of the people" :x

Sorry,what I meant was does any one with a grain of sense and suspicion of a consumate liar such as BoJo think it was any other way :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Paulatic wrote:#Filthybitoftowrag :lol:

For some reason the video wouldn't play in my browser - but here is a version that did play:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/vi ... mind-video
Classic! Respect to the lady interviewed! :wink:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

An interesting article about the drop in £ (sterling) and how devaluation helps our exports (or does it?). I remember following the referendum when the £ crashed and subsequent drops how many (including some here) have been saying about how sterling was "overvalued" and how the drop will help exporters ...
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-pound-sterling-fall-no-deal-boris-johnson-trade-a9145701.html wrote:The supporter of brexit fantasy was that a weak pound would boost the economy. Reality tells a very different story
Economists predict the pound will have lost a quarter of its pre-referendum value after a no-deal Brexit, and some people want you to think that's a good thing
But, as Brexit supporters like to point out, currency depreciation is not always a bad thing. A falling pound should make UK exports cheaper, raising demand for our goods and services abroad. Higher revenues and job creation then duly follow.
The reality since the EU referendum has been rather different. Far from narrowing, our trade deficit - exports minus imports - has widened significantly since the vote. That is the simplest measure to look at, since both exports and imports tend to grow over time.

Ian
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Psamathe wrote:An interesting article about the drop in £ (sterling) and how devaluation helps our exports (or does it?). I remember following the referendum when the £ crashed and subsequent drops how many (including some here) have been saying about how sterling was "overvalued" and how the drop will help exporters ...

Even if the pound was overvalued, trashing the country seems like a strange way to rectify it. It's like poisoning an apple tree because it is overgrown. Sure, it will solve that particular problem...
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

bovlomov wrote:
Psamathe wrote:An interesting article about the drop in £ (sterling) and how devaluation helps our exports (or does it?). I remember following the referendum when the £ crashed and subsequent drops how many (including some here) have been saying about how sterling was "overvalued" and how the drop will help exporters ...

Even if the pound was overvalued, trashing the country seems like a strange way to rectify it. It's like poisoning an apple tree because it is overgrown. Sure, it will solve that particular problem...

Where's Al?

He'll tell you how great the economy is doing and how the devalued pound has really helped exports plus how we're all going to be bigly rich - not yet, but soon.
horizon

Post by horizon »

The value of the pound is neither a good thing nor a bad thing, it just tells you the relative demand for the currency but a strong pound would reflect a strong economy. Interest rates used to be used to adjust the value of the pound so that it's balanced either way but now the idea seems to be to let it find its own level. AIUI, the pound slipped after the referendum on the expectation that exports would be reduced due to the disruption in trade between the UK and the EU. In that circumstance, the weakening of the pound is a good thing as it makes exports cheaper and they can thus rise to their previous level. Of course that means that your purchasing power is reduced so in a sense you are poorer overall. You can raise the value of your currency by stifling domestic demand and concentrating on exports, as China has done, but at some point you will need to reduce it or else be priced out of the market. IMV, the cheaper pound reflects a declining economy Brexit or no Brexit and it is in this scenario that membership of the euro would be severely disadvantageous. So yes, a declining pound is a good thing but only because it is propping up an economy in decline.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Whether the value of the pound going down is a Good Thing or a Bad Thing - can anyone convince me that short-selling the pound (or any other currency) is anything other than a Bad Thing? I'm no expert on these matters, but it seems to me that if already-wealthy speculators are lining their pockets with ££££££$$$$$$€€€€€€millions, the wealth they accumulate has got to come from somewhere. It doesn't just grow on the Magic Money Tree I reckon.

So where does it come from?
horizon

Post by horizon »

It comes from other people and firms protecting themselves from currency movements. You could bet if you want to but you have to be prepared to lose as well.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

horizon wrote:It comes from other people and firms protecting themselves from currency movements. You could bet if you want to but you have to be prepared to lose as well.

You need to have spare capital and the ability to move money quickly. Most of us have neither. I've seen a lot of comfortably off retired people make their lives miserable trying to compete in the markets against institutions and billionaires who can move huge amounts of money before the amateur (viewing ceefax) knows what is happening.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

horizon wrote:It comes from other people and firms protecting themselves from currency movements. You could bet if you want to but you have to be prepared to lose as well.

A big reason Rees Mogg and the speculators don't like the Euro!

Imagine every time you (as Leader of the House etc) uttered something to the press you could affect exchange rates and hence accurately predict movements!!