** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by al_yrpal »

More proposed EU red tape. Perhaps soon we wont be able to repair our own bikes?

https://conversation.which.co.uk/techno ... -eu-rules/
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What was the island of Ireland like before The Troubles?
They started in 1969 I think. What was it like in the 40s and 50s?
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote:More proposed EU red tape. Perhaps soon we wont be able to repair our own bikes?

Yes, you're right. The EU here is proposing having a live-in inspector in everyone's garage. There they will ensure non-qualified persons do not undertake repairs to bicycles. AN OUTRAGE!
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^^
I haven't got a garage.
Whatever will I do?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

PDQ Mobile wrote:^^
I haven't got a garage.
Whatever will I do?

The regs require you to install a bed in your spare room for the inspector.

If you have no spare room you must "shove over so they can share your bed" is the exact phrase from the directive.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:What was the island of Ireland like before The Troubles?

I think before the 60s the IRA were dormant, they only became acitve after the civil rights marches of the 60s that resulted from the unionsts trying to exclude the catholics from power - thats the real cause of the troubles and in principle that now resvolved due to power sharing at Stormant.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:More proposed EU red tape. Perhaps soon we wont be able to repair our own bikes?

Yes, you're right. The EU here is proposing having a live-in inspector in everyone's garage. There they will ensure non-qualified persons do not undertake repairs to bicycles. AN OUTRAGE!

Al's bike repairs probably need a good inspectin', if they are subject to the same sort of logic and analysis he applies to other matters! I have little doubt but that he applies the law of wishful thunks as he bodges together bits of equipment made 75 years ago somewhere in Birmingham.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think you have completely mis-understood (or mis-represented) the article/new regs. It is quite reasonable for the manufacturer to only support professional companies. Those supported companies can chose to supply components on.

At the moment I suspect if I phone up Shimano and try and order a replacement cassette I would be referred to a retailer just as if I phoned Ford to order a replacement indicator bulb I'd end-up having to go elsewhere.

Also I'd not consider my bike as a "household appliance" but maybe yours is?

But the principle of forcing manufacturers to maintain supplies of spare parts rather than making things redundant seems a really good idea so I 'm surprised you [al] seem to think it a bad idea!

Ian
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:^^
I haven't got a garage.
Whatever will I do?

The regs require you to install a bed in your spare room for the inspector.

If you have no spare room you must "shove over so they can share your bed" is the exact phrase from the directive.

But I live in a 13' caravan!
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 11 Oct 2019, 5:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Psamathe wrote:I think you have completely mis-understood (or mis-represented) the article/new regs.

In other news, ursine creatures discovered defecating in arboreal areas.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mercalia wrote:

I think before the 60s the IRA were dormant, they only became acitve after the civil rights marches of the 60s that resulted from the unionsts trying to exclude the catholics from power - thats the real cause of the troubles and in principle that now resvolved due to power sharing at Stormant.

I am surprised at British ignorance about Ireland, though perhaps I shouldn't be.
The Irish have been fighting for independence for hundreds of years, have you never heard of the Easter Rising of 1916?
Here is a list, beginning in 1534.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_uprisings
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I think you have completely mis-understood (or mis-represented) the article/new regs.

In other news, ursine creatures discovered defecating in arboreal areas.

And the Pope renounces Catholicism.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mercalia wrote:

Yes, a particularly bad case of intolerance by one lot for another lot based on the criterion: "They're not one of us". Religion was the excuse but the "difference" had in reality become largely tribal feudin' of the Hillies & The Billies kind. The detailed history of the feudin' indicates a regular stoking by the British government, who have long treated Ireland as a colony and the population thereof as one of "merely natives" who may be treated in the style employed by The East India Company and other criminal exploiters elsewhere - those beloved Heroes of The Empire (aka government-backed robbers, thieves and murderers).

After Blighty was forced by the Irish to give up their off-shore colony for the most part, NI was left as a sort of revenge-rump which could be employed to keep the Imperialist fire burning. The imported Scottish Protestant mercenaries of King Billy (300 years ago, mind) were still keen to rehearse that role, with British backing, and performed various egregious acts to make sure there were always "troubles".

Of course, it's rather more nuanced than that. But NI is an all too recent lesson in why fragmentation of a nation into mutually intolerant and hostile tribes is really not a good idea if one values peace and a decent lifestyle.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Psamathe wrote:

I think you have completely mis-understood (or mis-represented) the article/new regs. It is quite reasonable for the manufacturer to only support professional companies. Those supported companies can chose to supply components on.

At the moment I suspect if I phone up Shimano and try and order a replacement cassette I would be referred to a retailer just as if I phoned Ford to order a replacement indicator bulb I'd end-up having to go elsewhere.

Also I'd not consider my bike as a "household appliance" but maybe yours is?

But the principle of forcing manufacturers to maintain supplies of spare parts rather than making things redundant seems a really good idea so I 'm surprised you [al] seem to think it a bad idea!

Ian

And you insinuate misrepresentation! Throughout my life I have always done my own repairs to domestic appliances where thats possible. As I understand it the EU seems to be angling to stop or outlaw that.... Gas and electrical work in your home has also become pariah territory.

"But under the new rules, only professional repairers – not consumers – will be supported by manufacturers to carry out the repairs."

Its probably true that that is the situation right now, but how long will it be that officially you have invalidated your insurance etc by fitting a new or aftermarket part yourself? How many cars are on the road that have had critical parts replaced by the owner? Seems like the end of a very big wedge to me... EU=RedTape

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mike Sales wrote:I am surprised at British ignorance about Ireland, though perhaps I shouldn't be.
The Irish have been fighting for independence for hundreds of years, have you never heard of the Easter Rising of 1916?
Yes, of course, but my question was really about what was it like for the man in the street?

Our next door neighbours many years ago were Northern Irish. He was in the RN and we lived in married quarters then in Scotland. 1976 to 1980.
It wasn't an issue for them when they went home on leave to see their folks.

Friend of ours served in the British Army and is Northern Irish. Dunno if he was out there 69 onwards but I do know he is ambivalent about The Troubles in general. Just shrugs his shoulders.
Mick F. Cornwall