** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

Some questions for Brexit supporters based purely on economics
What happens after we leave with a deal?

What happens after we leave without a deal?

What are the next steps after either case scenario?

With the economy set to take 5 to 10% hit in either case senario,how does government expect to spent more money on the NHS,Police and schools?

How does the UK as a small country plan to negotiate on a level playing field with much bigger economies,such as the USA,China or the EU,what bargaining powers do we have?

I am genuinely interested in what you think happens next
Last edited by reohn2 on 22 Oct 2019, 10:38am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Interesting tweet from. Caroline Lucas MP in which she obawrv s that Parliament had more time to discuss Wild Animals in Circuses Welfare Act which apparently affects 19 animals than a life changing act which affects 65million people.

Says it all.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I liked that article. I've always thought that, for all his venality and duplicity, Boris isn't actually quite the idiot that Trump is. Now I begin to wonder...

But to achieve all the things in the article, Boris'll need a Time Machine. Can I have it after him, please? Two missions. First: go back to 22 June 2016, and tweak the space-time continuum in some way so that Wednesday 22 June is immediately followed by Friday 24 June. That's one problem sorted.

Next: go back to September 1963, and press on Stanley Johnson a month's supply of condoms....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

An aspect of Brexit I'm unsure about where I stand (well, it's partially Brexit related)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/22/british-pensioners-europe-hardship-committee-told wrote:British pensioners in Europe struggle to make ends meet, committee told
Jeremy Morgan QC said retirees in the EU living exclusively or almost exclusively on British pensions have already suffered a decrease in their income because of the depreciation in sterling since the referendum.

They were hit by a second blow last month when the government revealed it would not give a lifetime guarantee to index-link their pensions if the UK crashed out of the EU without a deal.

Thing I'm unsure about is if somebody decides to retire abroad based on a sterling income then currency fluctuations will always be a risk and people need to consider risks and what safeguards they have to fill gaps (e.g. savings, income from investments, capital). Brexit has badly affected the exchange rate but lots of things can and do affect the exchange rates and (hopefully) retirement lasts for a long time and the longer the more likely something will cause an exchange rate issue.

As to the UK Government refusing to guarantee the index-linking for pensioners resident overseas; when I retired and moved to France it was something I factored into my financial calculations. Whilst at that time I would have been index linked (in France), many countries were not so there was a chance that rules and index-linking would change (particularly 16 years later when I'd be able to start claiming my state pension). Something I had to make allowances for.

So I'm unsure if their predicament is down to poor financial planning or if they are victims of an inconsiderate UK Government.

Ian
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Psamathe wrote:So I'm unsure if their predicament is down to poor financial planning or if they are victims of an inconsiderate UK Government.

Probably both. Many people are terrible at financial planning, and most governments are careless about the effects of their policies on politically weak groups [see Windrush, Universal Credit, 10% Tax rate etc].
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Had the exchange rate gone the other way would the pensioner just be lucky or would they need to pay the taxpayer something back?
John
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

A master move by Johnson aka Cummings to expose the anti-democratic rodents in Parliament who have blocked the "Peoples' vote" to leave the EU for the last 3 years.
Lot's of bleating indignation from them is to be expected now that they have nowhere left to hide.

Time to bring on the ultimate peoples' vote a General Election, funny how they don't seem so keen on that.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

windmiller wrote:A master move by Johnson aka Cummings to expose the anti-democratic rodents in Parliament who have blocked the "Peoples' vote" to leave the EU for the last 3 years.
Lot's of bleating indignation from them is to be expected now that they have nowhere left to hide.

Time to bring on the ultimate peoples' vote a General Election, funny how they don't seem so keen on that.

You forgot to mention Cummings takes his orders from Steve Bannon. Funny that as Bannon has views fairly close to those you display on this forum.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Welcome back Don Quixote me ol' buddy - not seen you on this thread for a while!

Mind you - you'll have to explain the bit about "expose the anti-democratic rodents" etc. etc. I don't see how Bojo/Lemmings has exposed anything - except his own incompetence...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:A master move by Johnson aka Cummings to expose the anti-democratic rodents in Parliament who have blocked the "Peoples' vote" to leave the EU for the last 3 years.

You forgot to mention Cummings takes his orders from Steve Bannon. Funny that as Bannon has views fairly close to those you display on this forum.

I am not aware of the views that you think that I share with Steve Bannon apart from being pro Brexit.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

661-Pete wrote:Welcome back Don Quixote me ol' buddy - not seen you on this thread for a while!

Mind you - you'll have to explain the bit about "expose the anti-democratic rodents" etc. etc. I don't see how Bojo/Lemmings has exposed anything - except his own incompetence...

I'm reliably informed that Lemmings are rodents, and that said Lemming is oft spied about the House, despite being found in contempt of it. Further that intrepid duo need to overrule an act of parliament insisting 21 days are taken to scrutinise treaties before approval, and instead using only three.

I expect these are all excellent examples of Brexit enabling our Sovereign Parliament to Take Back Control.

Or something.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I am not aware of the views that you think that I share with Steve Bannon apart from being pro Brexit.

You appear to express farish right views on many things other than Brexit.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Oldjohnw wrote:Had the exchange rate gone the other way would the pensioner just be lucky or would they need to pay the taxpayer something back?

+1 When you choose to retire or live outside your country you obviously take a financial risk, I cannot see why the taxes we pay should be used to bale out expats giving them more tax generated pension than folk who stayed and pay taxes on their pensions to the exchequer.

Cheap plonk and a bit more sunshine has a price and as John says above the exchange rate could easily go the other way leaving them better off?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

al_yrpal wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Had the exchange rate gone the other way would the pensioner just be lucky or would they need to pay the taxpayer something back?

+1 When you choose to retire or live outside your country you obviously take a financial risk, I cannot see why the taxes we pay should be used to bale out expats giving them more tax generated pension than folk who stayed and pay taxes on their pensions to the exchequer.

Cheap plonk and a bit more sunshine has a price and as John says above the exchange rate could easily go the other way leaving them better off?

Al

Pound has lost around 30% against major currencies, since the referendum.
Every time it looks as if Brexit will be cancelled or a deal reached it rises and vice versa.
Add in the high inflation we all feel (3% officially is not credible IMV) and it can make you much poorer.

Living abroad is so much more than "cheap plonk and bit more sunshine"
for a great many broadminded and intelligent people.
There are as many reasons as places.
A fascination with a culture or another language too.

State Pensions can be paid in Sterling or in local currency.
https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad