** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales
Posts: 4408
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Mike Sales » 21 Dec 2019, 6:12pm

bovlomov wrote:Wikipedia disambiguation for "People's Government":
Central People's Government (since 1949), the central government of the People's Republic of China
Fujian People's Government (1933–1934), anti-Kuomintang government in the Fujian Province of the Republic of China
People's Government of Lithuania (1940), Soviet-backed government to legitimize the Soviet occupation of Lithuania
Azerbaijan People's Government (1945–1946), Soviet-backed client state in northern Iran
People's Revolutionary Government (1979–1983), government of Grenada after a revolution by New Jewel Movement
UK Tory-led Government (2019-), British government led by the Conservative Party Leader, Boris Johnson, who rebranded themselves as “The People’s Government”.

Be afraid!


Generally used to claim a spurious legitimacy for a tyranny.

User avatar
bovlomov
Posts: 4202
Joined: 5 Apr 2007, 7:45am
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby bovlomov » 21 Dec 2019, 6:32pm

Mike Sales wrote:Generally used to claim a spurious legitimacy for a tyranny.

Let's suppose tyranny isn't the plan. Johnson and his government are laughably childish, and they think the British public is too.

There's really no good way to interpret that slogan. It's either sinister or infantile.

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 3390
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby PDQ Mobile » 21 Dec 2019, 6:34pm

bovlomov wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Generally used to claim a spurious legitimacy for a tyranny.

Let's suppose tyranny isn't the plan. Johnson and his government are laughably childish, and they think the British public is too.

There's really no good way to interpret that slogan. It's either sinister or infantile.

Or both?

carpetcleaner
Posts: 389
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby carpetcleaner » 21 Dec 2019, 9:07pm

georgew wrote:To those who still assert that the BBC is impartial, I ask you this. Whoever would have imagined that the BBC could mock-up a graphic of the leader of her Majesty's Opposition...wearing a Russian hat interposed on a picture of the Kremlin?

We could argue I imagine that this is only fair, given that this crazed Marxist wants to re-nationalise the railways and raise income tax rates to a level below that once imposed by the Thatcher Government......dear....dear me.


Anyone who doesn't like the BBC is free to end their subscription to it.

The only snag is that the state will then ban them from watching any TV at at all.

User avatar
georgew
Posts: 1517
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 4:23pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby georgew » 22 Dec 2019, 11:05am

carpetcleaner wrote:
georgew wrote:To those who still assert that the BBC is impartial, I ask you this. Whoever would have imagined that the BBC could mock-up a graphic of the leader of her Majesty's Opposition...wearing a Russian hat interposed on a picture of the Kremlin?

We could argue I imagine that this is only fair, given that this crazed Marxist wants to re-nationalise the railways and raise income tax rates to a level below that once imposed by the Thatcher Government......dear....dear me.


Anyone who doesn't like the BBC is free to end their subscription to it.

The only snag is that the state will then ban them from watching any TV at at all.



Nope......not true.

It's entirely possible to watch television but without watching BBC programmes or iplayer.....nothing illegal about it. As a consequence of the BBC's bias against the SNP and the Independence movement in Scotland, there is a lively campaign against paying for a license.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 3351
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Oldjohnw » 22 Dec 2019, 12:08pm

Many of us had problems with the BBC, but the government attack is much more sinister. They also attacked ch4. It's worryingly about suppressing the press. We don't at present have a state tv. It's a public service broadcaster. People keep saying it's a state broadcaster: it isn't but the fear is it might become such.
John

Polisman
Posts: 644
Joined: 9 May 2019, 2:23pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Polisman » 22 Dec 2019, 12:17pm

Oldjohnw wrote:Many of us had problems with the BBC, but the government attack is much more sinister. They also attacked ch4. It's worryingly about suppressing the press. We don't at present have a state tv. It's a public service broadcaster. People keep saying it's a state broadcaster: it isn't but the fear is it might become such.


Ken Clarke said this morning that Johnson should get on with the business of government. And with an 80 strong majority he 'could do anything he wanted', which includes (but not limited to), doing away with licence fee, and effectively the BBC, drip feeding bits of the NHS to US owned subsidiaries till health insurance is at first 'advisable', and by and by 'mandatory', reducing workers rights to zero, paid holidays, sick leave, maternity leave? Forget it, you take a day off work, you get nowt.

And if you can't afford the projected £9000 a year for semi comprehensive health insurance, then expect your Brexiting ar#e to be dying on a hospital trolley in a side corridor while the privately funded medics attend to their fee paying customers. Remember all that National Insurance you paid? Ain't worth a dime, buddy.

The futures bright, Boris said it was gong to be golden. Hard work though, polishing that turd.

kwackers
Posts: 14306
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby kwackers » 24 Dec 2019, 10:32am

Polisman wrote:The futures bright, Boris said it was gong to be golden. Hard work though, polishing that turd.

Given his new bill removes the ability of parliament to scrutinise trade deals the good thing is he doesn't have to try to hard because its now much harder to point out that its still a turd.
Democracy? lolz.

reohn2
Posts: 37780
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby reohn2 » 24 Dec 2019, 10:36am

And so it begins.......
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 3351
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Oldjohnw » 24 Dec 2019, 10:43am

I'm out of here for a few days.

Enjoy your Brussels sprouts for possiblity the last time. Next year we might have Freedom Sprouts or Boris or Nigel sprouts.

Or, perhaps, Jacob Rees Sprouts.
John

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 14981
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby mjr » 3 Jan 2020, 11:19am

Happy New Year! UK Production Falls Back to 2012 levels as companies predictably sell off most of their no-deal stockpiles https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita ... KKBN1Z10K0

Just as I predicted.

So now I predict another production surge soon after Brexit as companies start stockpiling for the next no-deal cliff edge on 31 Dec, then another slump when they sell that off, repeating for any extensions. Each surge will be hailed by Leavers as proof there is no damage and each slump dismissed as a temporary blip, to deny the fact that surge and slump is the new boom and bust as little old UK is tossed around by the stormy seas of commerce now it has jumped ship.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.


Bonefishblues
Posts: 7364
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Bonefishblues » 8 Jan 2020, 10:42am

A good piece by Lionel Shriver on R4 State of the Nation slot at 9.45 this morning. Accurate summary of where we are and how we got here.

Debs
Posts: 693
Joined: 19 May 2017, 7:05pm
Location: Powys

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Debs » 8 Jan 2020, 12:59pm

This morning the BBC [Brexit Broadcasting Company] Radio 4 broadcast a highly inaccurate summary of Brexit from the lying lips of a privileged wealthy person, Lionel Shriver, who obviously doesn't give a damn about how the majority of UK people will suffer greatly under the Brexit rightwing fascist Regime and instead gloated and bloated a very distorted and propagandious summary of where we are and how we got here...

Oldjohnw
Posts: 3351
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Postby Oldjohnw » 8 Jan 2020, 1:39pm

Interesting two posts above. Same programme, slightly different take.
John