** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pete75 »

mr bajokoses wrote: The future of ex-EU Britain will be of little concern to the EU except for the prospect of having a deregulated tax-haven on its doorstep.

Which would also be of great concern to the great majority of UK citizens - those that are not wealthy. The likes of Rees-Mogg and the hedge fund managers who funded teh leave camp would do well out of it though.I suspect that's their ultimate aim.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Vorpal,

it's also not clear to me on that what point Al is making. A no-deal Brexit is obviously much worse for the UK than Germany. So if it's a "horror scenario" for them, what is it for us? And where does that leave the "no deal is better than a bad deal" rhetoric?

I think he's trying to say that a bad thing for Germany must be a good thing for the UK, but I'm not certain.

The idea that Germany fears the horror of Brexit plays right into 'No deal is better than a bad deal' because if Germany thinks it's bad, they will push the negotiators to get Britain to pay for German woes. And of course, Germany *controls* (yes, that's sarcasm) the EU. That means the invariable outcome is a bad deal or no deal.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Its just information… from various non obvious sources.

Obviously no deal would be bad for the UK and Germany but in terms of German GDP its a fleabite to their economy as a whole but could prove very bad for those individual businesses with big operations here.

Gave you something new to discuss.. :D

If the £ bounces back substantially at any point that would probably adversely affect tourism and the FTSE

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Debs

Post by Debs »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
meic wrote:
So while you can call it just Status Quo, it was a Status Quo I liked.

Yes but it isnt a status quo that must or will persist....

And yet it was a Status Quo that had persisted- for a good while.
Not that I am a big fan of Staus Quo normally.

Brexit is driving us deeper and down...

https://youtu.be/UlR4Z4AZ1ho
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

al_yrpal wrote:Its just information… from various non obvious sources.

Obviously no deal would be bad for the UK and Germany but in terms of German GDP its a fleabite to their economy as a whole but could prove very bad for those individual businesses with big operations here.

Gave you something new to discuss.. :D

If the £ bounces back substantially at any point that would probably adversely affect tourism and the FTSE

Al

Come on!
"Various non-obvious sources", you know folk on here will ask for a citation.
My guess is that they came out of "Farage Weekly".
The wording and slant seemed to give it away somehow?
And without a concrete citation I am allowed to guess.

The weak pound surely helps bring folk in.
But it's not the only factor.
I have neighbours that rent a holiday house. It's pretty upmarket and their bookings were down on last year.
Anywhere perceived to have high criminality will also suffer reduced trade. Ditto poor overpriced "cuisine" and dirty toilets.
So a good currency rate is not the only factor.
Good weather helps a lot too, especially in the camping and caravanning sectors, the decision where to go can be very short term.

A recovery of the pound would give beneficial effects like checking inflation and therefore keeping interest rates lower.
Imported materials get made cheaper.

Though it's less good for someone earning a bit of foreign currency. :?
Still the sun's a plus. :D

FTSE isn't the be and all of everything for many of us. Money made there don't seem to trickle down much.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

No sources either… you are slipping. If you ever studied History seriously you would know that the first thing you learn is who wrote it and why… sources arent the b all and end all. 8)

The FTSE does matter to anyone who has a pension or savings. It's why Unilever recently decided to retain its HQ in the UK.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

al_yrpal wrote:No sources either… you are slipping. If you ever studied History seriously you would know that the first thing you learn is who wrote it and why… sources arent the b all and end all.

Surely that's the point. A citation isn't a guarantee, but it's information by which the reader can judge the reliability of the source.

Some sources are demonstrably more reliable than others.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

You can find Al's source by googling the text in quotes.

It's the ultra right wing guido fawkes website.

Which presumably is why he's ashamed to admit it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:No sources either… you are slipping. If you ever studied History seriously you would know that the first thing you learn is who wrote it and why… sources arent the b all and end all. 8)

The FTSE does matter to anyone who has a pension or savings. It's why Unilever recently decided to retain its HQ in the UK.

Al

What matters to people with savings or investments is the return on those particular investments not FTSE. Their investments could well be in smaller companies which are not part of FTSE or in foreign businesses.
Last edited by pete75 on 10 Oct 2018, 3:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

bovlomov wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:No sources either… you are slipping. If you ever studied History seriously you would know that the first thing you learn is who wrote it and why… sources arent the b all and end all.

Surely that's the point. A citation isn't a guarantee, but it's information by which the reader can judge the reliability of the source.

Some sources are demonstrably more reliable than others.

Its whether the content is true that matters. My source was simply Google, didnt know about Fawkes. No reason the doubt it. Sources are IW Economic Institute based in Cologne, and Visit Britain, and anyone who has travelled Aer Lingus via Shannon to the US will have experienced the US remote border. Its all there… :D

Al
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

al_yrpal wrote:No sources either… you are slipping. If you ever studied History seriously you would know that the first thing you learn is who wrote it and why… sources arent the b all and end all. 8)

Al

I didn't proffer any quotes or anything that needed citation.
If I do so, like when making wild claims, I cite or state why not.
I stated "Farage Weekly" was a guess.
Looks like it was pretty accurate one too.
-----
Never liked history much, I thought it clouded the happy present and was too open to manipulation. We never seemed to learn much from it anyway!
And my history master was a bit like Rees Mogg. :shock:
-----
Important for savings?!
Now that is really funny after all these years of rock bottom interest rates.
The Stock Market lines the pockets of all the wrong people.IMV
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

Today:
Michel Barnier wrote:Brexit brings no added value. It is a negative negotiation. It is a lose, lose game.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Answering questions from the "Exiting the EU" select committee this morning, the Auditor General, Amyas Morse, refused to guess at which government services are going to fail soon after Brexit day and said that the preparations had potential points of failure which could affect several services.

This was broadcast live on BBC Parliament (where I saw it), but it hasn't been reported yet on the BBC website or any newspapers so far. Most news media seem to have been distracted by two car announcements: one about how a no-deal exit would have "devastating consequences" for the UK motoring industry http://www.theweek.co.uk/motoring/97021 ... eal-brexit and a barely-Brexit one about the Gravesend tunnel that will probably kill off the only cycle-usable ferry across the Thames east of London https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45799384 (I note the AA showing its true pro-motoring colours by lobbying for it with a misleading comparison with the non-estuarine Seine in Paris).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

al_yrpal wrote:Its whether the content is true that matters. My source was simply Google, didnt know about Fawkes. No reason the doubt it. Sources are IW Economic Institute based in Cologne, and Visit Britain, and anyone who has travelled Air Fungus via Shannon to the US will have experienced the US remote border. Its all there… :D

Al

Bloomberg have done it correctly. I linked there article above. The bit about German industry can only be traced to one person: Only Joachim Lang, managing director of Germany’s powerful BDI industrial.

A person from IW was also quoted
"This horror scenario should push policy makers into constructive action,” Markus Jung, an IW researcher, said in the report.

This has either gotten muddled in translation, or has been stretched by other news sources, such at Breitbart & Guido Fawkes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom