** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Psamathe »

661-Pete wrote:.... Anyway, if there are food shortages after No-Deal, they will affect the better-off and less-well-off in equal numbers. It is likely to be, for example, fresh vegetables - bought in volume by the middle-classes - that suffer more than other foods.....

I think if there are issues after a No-Deal Brexit there are two aspects. Food shortages (fresh or all) will likely cause food prices to rise. Add to that a likely drop in the value of £ and the most vulnerable will be in real trouble (just being able to afford any fod). Shortages of specific foodstuffs is unlikely to affect those in real need as they will be more concerned about having something to eat rather than worrying too much about not being able to get/afford e.g. tomatoes.

As to self-inflicted hardship (e.g. voting for Brexit), then the trouble is that what people voted for is not what our politicians are now proposing, particularly in the case of a No-Deal. People voting to Leave were explicitly told all the "cake and eat it" fantasies and it gets a lot harder to class something as self-inflicted just because they believed some entitled ex-public school boy.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:Being called a traitor was a big insult to me, and not one I will forgive.

I think one should be prepared to forgive, as Jesus said

Besides, one can learn more from those who have different opinions
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:Being called a traitor was a big insult to me, and not one I will forgive.
Perhaps, then, you can empathise with those - mostly on the Remain side of the debate - who have been labelled as "traitors". And not just by an individual's (since moderated) post on an internet forum. By screaming headlines on the tabloids - the DM in particular - visible to all. Isn't that an order of magnitude worse?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't read the tabloids.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote:
As to self-inflicted hardship (e.g. voting for Brexit), then the trouble is that what people voted for is not what our politicians are now proposing, particularly in the case of a No-Deal. People voting to Leave were explicitly told all the "cake and eat it" fantasies and it gets a lot harder to class something as self-inflicted just because they believed some entitled ex-public school boy.

Ian

They were also told that Brexit might well have dire consequences for the country. They had a choice one way or another. When someone makes a decision to do something they should accept responsibility for the consequences of it be they they good or bad. Any harm it causes them is self inflicted.
Anyhow I've decided to donate to Consonant rather than the food bank.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Thread pruned, yet again. Please refrain from insults, and if someone has insulted you, please report it rather than responding in kind.

Thanks
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote: .........Besides, one can learn more from those who have different opinions

Only when those with the different opinions can offer good reason for that opinion,so far on this thread and anywhere else I look there hasn't been any reasonable opinion put forward just misinformation,pie in the sky weird idea of global domination or no opinion at all is the norm from brexit supporters prepared to believe rich liars and criminals before argued reason.
Now we have gone from a stupid and unreasonable PM to one put in place by 0.25% of the population who is a complete stranger to the truth has lost every vote in parliament,threatens not to abide by the law and set lead the UK out of the EU without any kind of deal with attempts to blame the EU for it.
Truth and reasonable opinion drifts ever further away as the UK drifts ever further from the EU.

This is now truly an Alice in Wonderland nightmare of epic proportions!
I've learn that the brexit movement is one of liars,and blind sheep
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

They were also told that Brexit might well have dire consequences for the country. They had a choice one way or another. When someone makes a decision to do something they should accept responsibility for the consequences of it be they they good or bad. Any harm it causes them is self inflicted.

I agree and what, why, how much, to whom, etc. you make charitable donations is not something for me to hold an opinion about.

But whilst it is true the public were warned of the dire consequences, one also needs to consider who was doing that warning - e.g. Cameron/Osborne, architects of austerity and people I would not believe if they told me it the oceans were made of water. Not that the Leave campaign had anybody more reliable. Gove/Johnson vs Cameron/Osborne - my choice would be neither.

I agree that people need to take responsibility for their decisions but there has to be some balance. The person that swims outside the red flags on the beach - should the rescue services stand and watch them drown? If we reduce mitigation over large groups because they chose to vote Leave (self-inflicted) we would undoubtedly be penalising some people who voted remain - so those remain voters get hit by a double whammy.

Ian
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

I think one should be prepared to forgive, as Jesus said

He did?

https://youtu.be/MoU2XwXLFrA

IGMC
Have we got time for another cuppa?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:I don't read the tabloids.

What you read doesn't invalidate the point
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

I say guys, What would some of us give to be as ruddy perfect as some folk on this thread? Despite being kicked almost stupid we keep trying to offer a different view! We must all be masochists. Just of to get my hair shirt on :roll: . IGICB MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

This thread should be added to the "flushing the Toilet Twice" thread
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

I agree and what, why, how much, to whom, etc. you make charitable donations is not something for me to hold an opinion about.

But whilst it is true the public were warned of the dire consequences, one also needs to consider who was doing that warning - e.g. Cameron/Osborne, architects of austerity and people I would not believe if they told me it the oceans were made of water. Not that the Leave campaign had anybody more reliable. Gove/Johnson vs Cameron/Osborne - my choice would be neither.

I agree that people need to take responsibility for their decisions but there has to be some balance. The person that swims outside the red flags on the beach - should the rescue services stand and watch them drown? If we reduce mitigation over large groups because they chose to vote Leave (self-inflicted) we would undoubtedly be penalising some people who voted remain - so those remain voters get hit by a double whammy.

Ian

It's the rescue services raison d'etre to aid those people and it's the state's job to support people with no or low incomes. Private individuals may choose to donate to the RNLI or food banks etc or they may choose to donate to other causes or not at all. no one should be criticised for making any of those choices.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:I say guys, What would some of us give to be as ruddy perfect as some folk on this thread? Despite being kicked almost stupid we keep trying to offer a different view! We must all be masochists. Just of to get my hair shirt on :roll: . IGICB MM

Go and have a pint instead. It'll do a lot more good and be a bit more enjoyable.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:This thread should be added to the "flushing the Toilet Twice" thread

No no, FTTT is News you can Use :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies