** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:He was inspired by this book?
https://mashable.com/2016/08/27/abc-for ... urope=true

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That said,never underestimate a weasel :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:He was inspired by this book?
https://mashable.com/2016/08/27/abc-for ... urope=true

:lol: :lol: :lol:
That said,never underestimate a weasel :wink:

More of a lamprey.

"Parasitic carnivorous species are the most well-known, and feed by boring into the lives of other humans to suck their money"

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well the letter P is very true?

P.JPG
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

belgiangoth wrote:One of the big pro Brexit arguments is controlling immigration. The eu will be okay with an open border in Ireland which will allow unchecked immigration. It won’t be used for mass untariffed trade, which is the eu’s issue.
In my opinion it is very much a U.K. problem

Unchecked immigration? Do you really think that other countries will let just anyone in because they say they are going to the UK via Northern Ireland? Most other EU countries have more stringent immigration controls than the UK. I can't quite see how that will change because of Brexit.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:
More of a lamprey.

"Parasitic carnivorous species are the most well-known, and feed by boring into the lives of other humans to suck their money"

Cugel

Can't argue with that assertion :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Please explain how it is possible to "take back control" of our borders without controls.
Ain't got a clue.
Not all Brexit voters want to take back control of our borders.
If we leave the EU, it will be the EU who will look after their borders like they do with all the other ones.

Personally, I'm sort of happy with the borders as they are now. Better still would be to have them like we had before the EU.
Mick F. Cornwall
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Mick F wrote:Better still would be to have them like we had before the EU.

There were plenty of complaints about our borders before the we were in the EEC/EU. West Indians, Irish, Italians, Russians, Jews... all taking advantage of our lax immigration controls, taking our jobs, stealing our women, committing crimes, and/or fomenting revolution and social unrest.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:Please explain how it is possible to "take back control" of our borders without controls.
Ain't got a clue.
Not all Brexit voters want to take back control of our borders.
If we leave the EU, it will be the EU who will look after their borders like they do with all the other ones.

Personally, I'm sort of happy with the borders as they are now. Better still would be to have them like we had before the EU.

I have no idea what you mean by this. You think we should have an open border with the EU?

Surely if that's the case, remain and join Schengen would be the obvious thing to do?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

roubaixtuesday wrote: You think we should have an open border with the EU?

Surely if that's the case, remain and join Schengen would be the obvious thing to do?
No and no.

"Open" in the way that there are checks but you need a passport to cross ................. just like the UK border is now and how it's like in non-EU countries ............... but not "closed" insomuch as needing a visa.

Schengen is to do with completely open borders with no passports or checks at all. Some of Europe has been like that for decades. UK has never been like that and if it were up to me, I would keep it like that.
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote: You think we should have an open border with the EU?

No and no.

"Open" in the way that there are checks but you need a passport to cross ................. just like the UK border is now and how it's like in non-EU countries ............... but not "closed" insomuch as needing a visa.

Schengen is to do with completely open borders with no passports or checks at all. Some of Europe has been like that for decades. UK has never been like that and if it were up to me, I would keep it like that.

You're advocating a passport check at the NI border?

Are you sure you've thought this through??
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Blank Cheque Politics?

Mr Hancock told BBC Radio 4's Today: "If you want, as an MP, to leave the European Union and deliver on the result of referendum - no matter the details you want to see in terms of the future relationship - you need to vote for legislation and then have the debate in the committee stages later on exactly what the details are

getting rather pathetic, we need to get rid of all these jokers?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

roubaixtuesday wrote:You're advocating a passport check at the NI border?
What did we have in the 1950s?
What did we have in the Common Market days?

Have YOU thought this through?
Sod Brexit eh?
Rubbish idea?
Forget it?

How are YOU going to sort it?
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:

The Schengen area isn't about completely open borders. You try and enter it without passport or documentation and see what happens. All the countries in the Schengen area have the same entry requirements so if you are allowed to enter it through any one nation you can travel freely within. A sensible and logical arrangement.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:You're advocating a passport check at the NI border?

What did we have in the 1950s?
What did we have in the Common Market days?

Have YOU thought this through?
Sod Brexit eh?
Rubbish idea?
Forget it?

How are YOU going to sort it?

Quickly, simply and easily. Revoke article 50.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

pete75 wrote:
Mick F wrote:How are YOU going to sort it?

Quickly, simply and easily. Revoke article 50.

A lot has been made of the terrible consequences of revocation. I think it's worth remembering that comparatively few people cared about the EU, one way or another, until 2016. The whole storm has been a media creation, distracting the population from more important issues. I don't think it's impossible that the public could be distracted away from Brexit as easily as they were lured towards it.

Look over there!