** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Why no comment on here from "leavers" about the ferry contract debacle for example?

Let's face it this Govt. are about as incompetent and dishonest as they come. Scared of what they have become embroiled in too.

I for one am desperate for a change.
Public inquiry, I would support that for sure.
All this, I utterly agree with you.
I'd add that we need a General Election ASAP too.

The more I think about this, the more incredible it is. So would you vote Lib Dem there in South East Cornwall (IIRC), despite them generally being Remain, to have a hope of helping get this government out?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

There was a country called Brexit
That couldnt make up its mind how to exit
One day May said " I can fixit"
But the EU roared with laughter hysteric
SO now we dont know whether to expect-it
RickH

Post by RickH »

mercalia wrote:There was a country called Brexit
That couldnt make up its mind how to exit
One day May said " I can fixit"
But the EU smirked with laughter hysteric
SO now we dont know whether to expect-it

I'm slowly reading my way through Yanis Varoufakis's book about the Greek crisis. With that in mind* maybe we should be renamed Brexitistan. :lol:

(*He called Greece after the bailouts as "Bailoutistan")
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote:The more I think about this, the more incredible it is. So would you vote Lib Dem there in South East Cornwall (IIRC), despite them generally being Remain, to have a hope of helping get this government out?
The hope of turning over a new leaf.

I would dearly love the whole of the front benchers on all sides of the house to lose their seats.
If I lived in a constituency where they are the sitting MPs, they wouldn't get my vote at all.

Sherylll Murray is our MP.
Tory.
I didn't vote for her, she doesn't represent my views. Can't stand the woman.
https://www.parliament.uk/biographies/c ... urray/4100
Notice her "countries of interest" at the bottom?
Why does UK come last on her list?

Political Interests:
Environment, Tourism and Royal Navy.
In that order, and why only those?

I predict that when we have the next GE, the whole apple-cart will be up-ended .................... and it can't come soon enough.
Get rid of this shower asap.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mick F wrote:
mjr wrote:The more I think about this, the more incredible it is. So would you vote Lib Dem there in South East Cornwall (IIRC), despite them generally being Remain, to have a hope of helping get this government out?
The hope of turning over a new leaf.

I would dearly love the whole of the front benchers on all sides of the house to lose their seats.
If I lived in a constituency where they are the sitting MPs, they wouldn't get my vote at all.

Sherylll Murray is our MP.
Tory.
I didn't vote for her, she doesn't represent my views. Can't stand the woman.
https://www.parliament.uk/biographies/c ... urray/4100
Notice her "countries of interest" at the bottom?

Political Interests:

I predict that when we have the next GE, the whole apple-cart will be up-ended .................... and it can't come soon enough.
Get rid of this shower asap.

Alas, the nature of current politics and it's various systems is that they are networked with, and controlled by, many malign institutions and individuals other than the MPs. Moreover, modern politics of itself has evolved traditions and behaviours that provide opportunities for the worst kinds of self-seeking greedlets avid for nothing more than power, status and money.

Get rid of the current rotten lot and the next lot will be, if anything, more rotten. They will be flies 'round the stinkhorn, whilst those with a more kind aspect to their characters will avoid the parliamentary phallus impudicus precisely because of it's stink.

Our problem is a systemic malaise long in the making - a sort of cultural syphilis in it's final stages, where the nation goes mad and begins to rave incoherently. I fear there is no cure, only further degradation and a final unpleasant demise.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:Notice her "countries of interest" at the bottom?

Political Interests:

I think they are just listed in alphabetic order. So if she had listed Uzbekistan that would have come after UK. The same with political interests.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cugel wrote:
Our problem is a systemic malaise long in the making - a sort of cultural syphilis in it's final stages, where the nation goes mad and begins to rave incoherently. I fear there is no cure, only further degradation and a final unpleasant demise.

Cugel

A cheery assessment!
There's a lot of good still out there, amongst ordinary folk...and I have recently been pleasantly surprised after losing something.

Though....

Costa Rica's nice, I am told! 8)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

RickH wrote:
Mick F wrote:Notice her "countries of interest" at the bottom?

Political Interests:

I think they are just listed in alphabetic order. So if she had listed Uzbekistan that would have come after UK. The same with political interests.

If you were to list your interests, would YOU list them in alphabetical order?

I certainly wouldn't. :shock:
I'd list them in order of their precedence and their importance to me.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Apparently, a group of Tory MPs will oppose Mrs May's next vote because they worry that because it will rule out a no-deal and amother group will oppose it because it won't rule it out.

It is more or less the same for Mr Corbyn.

It's all going so well.
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oldjohnw wrote:It's all going so well.
Sarcasm at it's best! :D

What did Oliver Hardy say?
"That's another fine mess you've got me into."
Mick F. Cornwall
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:New solution proposed to stop Remain Scotland being dragged into Brexit by Leave England and Wales:
[youtube]2Lu_K4McrZo[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lu_K4McrZo

so the swiss and scots going to swap countries?

That's the proposal. The autotranslated subtitles are OK if you don't speak German.

On a similar note, why doesn't the UK Government simply ask Ireland to re-join the Union that is the United Kingdom? After all it worked well with the reunification of Germany and we could claim we were simply following a successful example of an EU partnership and Britain wasn’t the bad boy of Europe after all.

At a stroke all the Backstop arguments would disappear, Ireland would save a fortune in not having to run its own Government and we keep a nice bit of water between us and those troublesome Europeans (and visa versa from thier point of view). And more importantly, for a certain generation those Dads Army arrows regain their meaning. Simple really, I don’t know why it hasn’t been suggested before. :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:The hope of turning over a new leaf......

I wonder if it'll be a Nissan.........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

NickWi wrote:
mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:
so the swiss and scots going to swap countries?

That's the proposal. The autotranslated subtitles are OK if you don't speak German.

On a similar note, why doesn't the UK Government simply ask Ireland to re-join the Union that is the United Kingdom? After all it worked well with the reunification of Germany and we could claim we were simply following a successful example of an EU partnership and Britain wasn’t the bad boy of Europe after all.

At a stroke all the Backstop arguments would disappear, Ireland would save a fortune in not having to run its own Government and we keep a nice bit of water between us and those troublesome Europeans (and visa versa from thier point of view). And more importantly, for a certain generation those Dads Army arrows regain their meaning. Simple really, I don’t know why it hasn’t been suggested before. :lol:

Abetteridae - why doesn't Britain pull out of Ireland entirely and let the Irish govern the whole of their own country.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

NickWi wrote:On a similar note, why doesn't the UK Government simply ask Ireland to re-join the Union that is the United Kingdom? After all it worked well with the reunification of Germany and we could claim we were simply following a successful example of an EU partnership and Britain wasn’t the bad boy of Europe after all.

I see at least two major problems with that:

1. Ireland's 88% support for the EU makes Scotland's 62% look divided and indecisive.

2. It really didn't end well the last time the UK tried to keep Ireland in the Union.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Ah I understand now why Brexitis going so bad here. We need a floppy toy as in Holland?
Capture.JPG

all we have is "Undertaker-Man"