** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mr bajokoses

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by mr bajokoses »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
PDQ Mobile wrote:Or are you a negative person? Always go against anything? Contrary.

I am a pessimist = glass half empty so I think what will happen to the next person along the way and myself.
Be more positive they say.....

Glass half full...........drink the lot!

I am the one that was taught to clock the milling head after you set it at an angle.
So the next user doing a five minute job would not spend half an hour.

Some think leave it all to cock so you have to set it right for you...don't rely on others...some logic in that.
But no logic in setting the head square and then adding 15 minutes to the next user by leaning the head leaving the next user to redo what you just undone.
Milling head is normally used mostly in a machine shop square not leaning to one side.
Yep I always leave machine clean of swarf.

But politics is politics, its not as simple as designing a tank.
Ta Ta.

One of the more coherent explanations of the leave vote. Thanks.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Canuk wrote:A vast sum indeed. For which Britain gets nothing in return?! :roll:

I'm sorry, but I've heard this 'gut feeling' reasoning spouted so many times now. It is in fact a rather underhand way of saying 'Oh okay, given all the evidence to date, I was wrong. I made a mistake, I'm just trying to get my feeble excuses in early?'

I don't know how much back tracking I've heard from 'leavers' in the past two weeks. Even the Tories can see its a busted flush. What will happen on Monday? Nothing. Nothing can happen, there can be no progress. May will simply trot out the same 'Look, I'm still holding this gun to my head, and if you don't agree, boom!'

To which the house will again emphatically say 'go ahead, its your funeral'. No deal is of course a 'technical' reality on the 29th March but in no way a credible one.

An A50 extension is as good as pencilled in. After that inevitabilty Brexit unwinds until there's not a dot of energy left in it. Kicked down the road into oblivion. Hopefully taking the current crop of wilful incompetents with it.

Let's get one thing straight leavers: there's no compromises, no more deals to be done, no shift from the EU. It's the end of the road. The final 'it'. The magic Brexit fairy isn't coming to save the day. It's just not happening.

Watching BoJo yesterday I was reminded what a thoroughly contemptible, ugly and untrustworthy liar of a husk of a human being he is. The prospect of being governed by such a hideous personality is incredible. With luck he'll move into light entertainment.

The reality of BoJo asPM would make Trump's presidency look positively benign and effective. He has all the substance and integrity of a last week's yellow loaf, that's been out in the rain too long. Comparing him to someone like Bercow, who for my money is a right thinking, well made individual with his heart on his sleeve for the good of the country... Well, it makes one shiver to think the polar opposite is still in an elected position, and could have been potentially one time Prime minister of Great Britain.

Well put. I'm totally sick of all the lies especially from Boris. He now denies saying we would have countless millions from Turkey invading the UK when they joined the EU. How is anyone taken in by this buffoon?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
And you are trying to do an R2 on me :)
I am standing up for my right to vote my way.
And for the 17.4 million others who voted with me.
I need not give reasons for my gut feelings.
Why do you insist that I should apart from the fact you want to destroy my distaste for the foul language been aimed at leavers.

Its a bit like football..........................loose and all hell brakes loose :roll:

If we officially stay I will concede all.
Happy?

I would be more happy about just discussing the subject of the process of Brexit.
I am not happy at all in constantly defending my vote my choice.
Its the remainers who are getting euphoric at every turn against the process.

We Vote the rest is up to our not so perfect MP's.

What do you want to say to all those 17.4 million leavers?
Its not me you have to turn!

But I am not insulting anyone?
I am trying to find out and debate.

I am merely genuinely interested in how you feel 30 years of being an EU member has negatively affected you and yours (or Cornwall)?

I know the question has been put before but it is a very simple question in a very complex area.

"Gut feeling" is a bit of a cop out in that regard.
For we need compromise and to achieve compromise we need to try to understand the other point of view. Do you accept that?

Basically at the moment I do not accept your point of view because I don't understand it.

What about the Bercow point?
Do you not accept the guy must have some serious handle on the issues at stake?

He has been by and large a pretty fair Speaker, voted in by the House a second time.

You have to realise the Leave stance

It is uncertain, unknown and does not want to recognise any potential problems.

Therefore anything that raises these points is unnecessarily negative and immediately being dismissed

I also smile at the alleged abuse of the Leave supporters who seem to believe that threatening sexual, racist abuse is a fair political method. E have the continuing threats of millions taking to the Streets, civil unrest etc.

What still needs to be realised is that there is extremism on both sides, but what needs to be listened to is the intelligent and informed middle ground
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I get the impression we, the people, are going to get stitched up by the MPs who will make decsions that dont reflect any thing that any of us want, that just allow them to carry on with their Game of Power.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Or are you a negative person? Always go against anything? Contrary.

I am a pessimist = glass half empty so I think what will happen to the next person along the way and myself.
Be more positive they say.

I did not mean or impune insult.
What I think is that through the austerity policies of our own domestic UK Govt, a lot of people have had a pretty difficult time since around 2009.
Our own UK Govt. used the EU as scapegoat for a good deal of this and inevitably became something of a pariah.
All of Europe suffered and suffers as a consequence of that 2008 financial crash and the EU has made mistakes in that area too.
But it it is my firm belief that the EU tried to help a broader base of its citizens that our UK Govt. did.
The Tories did not want their main voter base to suffer reduced living standards and threw the burden onto the "ordinary" and poorer segments of society.

So I would ask you to consider that when making judgements about the money we send to the EU.

I live in a "poorer" area too and in my mind the EU has been of considerable benefit. Subsidizing insulating and re-roofing old houses (to which I am not a beneficiary I might add) and a deal of enviromental and infrastructure projects(always with statutory pedestrian/cycleway) that would otherwise never have come to fruition.
The glass here is fuller than you may think.
Have another look?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mercalia wrote:I get the impression we, the people, are going to get stitched up by the MPs who will make decsions that dont reflect any thing that any of us want, that just allow them to carry on with their Game of Power.

Yep.
We are just the fodder.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The whole Brexit thing is deeply flawed

It was a bit like saying shall we write a book - Yes or No

So we voted Yes to writing a book

What wasn't decided was whether it was Fiction, Factual, Historical, Modern, Chicklit, Crime, Fantasy, Horror, Science Fiction or a hundred others genres.

Now we have the all too predictable problem where everyone is claiming their genre as being the one that was voted for in the first place, and shouting down the others.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cunobelin wrote:The whole Brexit thing is deeply flawed

It was a bit like saying shall we write a book - Yes or No

So we voted Yes to writing a book

What wasn't decided was whether it was Fiction, Factual, Historical, Modern, Chicklit, Crime, Fantasy, Horror, Science Fiction or a hundred others genres.

Now we have the all too predictable problem where everyone is claiming their genre as being the one that was voted for in the first place, and shouting down the others.
I see it more as like saying, let's make a movie.

This is the movie we seem to have ended up with....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

I see it more in terms of script development. We haven't even got to the pre production stage yet (and never will).

So two countries have got down to write a script, they think its a great idea (like all writers do) and have taken it to the people who are actually going to have to fund AND make the movie, and they've said 'your script is crap, be off with you'.

And then the head British script editor has said 'If you don't make this movie, I'll blow my brains out'.

To which the film fund just said 'Go ahead, what do we care'.

'Brexit' the movie was never going to get green lit. And it's absolutely never going to get made. They'll kick it down the line a little, next year, or maybe the year after 'it's a very complicated narrative', till everyone forgets about it, and half the folk they voted for it in the first place are now dead. My best guess is in a few years you'll never hear the word again, except maybe in hushed corners of bars in Brussels, where those that were involved in the hatching of it will have a good laugh and sigh. 'Movies!', they'll say.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Brexit worries 'add to car insurance costs'

(This report contains an image of somebody in a yellow waistcoat looking worried about the cost of car insurance.)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46922989
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:The usual brow beating by the remainers, how easily they are swayed by like thinkers.

I'm swayed by no one.As I said earlier the day after the result of the referendum was announced I bet a colleague £100 Brexit would not happen.Over 2 years later I still think the same.
It appears Farage now agrees too :lol:
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/brexit-latest ... 00349.html
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:The usual brow beating by the remainers, how easily they are swayed by like thinkers.
Remainers do not need to be 'swayed by like thinkers'. We are all 'like-thinkers' already. In fact we are the only ones who do sit back and think about what we, and the rest, are doing to ourselves.

As to the others - well, as they position themselves on the very edge at Beachy Head - do they actually think about what they're doing? In fact, what thoughts do race through their heads as they plummet towards the rocks below?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
horizon

Post by horizon »

mercalia wrote:I get the impression we, the people, are going to get stitched up by the MPs

mercalia: don't you also mean "Betrayed" by "Traitors", controlled by those scheming "Brussels Bullies", shafted by the "Elites" crushing the poor innocent hard-working people of this once great country of ours and sticking a knife into the back of the patriotic Union flag-waving, roast beef-eating, Spitfire-loving true Britons?

Can you not see how the Sun and Daily Mail use this sort of language to get ordinary people to side with the really rich and unscrupulous? They tap into all kinds of narratives that stir completely inappropriate emotional reactions to those foreign people in Brussels who would actually like to work with the UK to protect the environment and workers' rights. The ruling class runs scared of the EU because it cannot get away with its dreadful practices - but they need to get the working class on their side and they do this by turning one section of that class against another.

And yes, you have been fooled.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

horizon wrote:
mercalia wrote:I get the impression we, the people, are going to get stitched up by the MPs

mercalia: don't you also mean "Betrayed" by "Traitors", controlled by those scheming "Brussels Bullies", shafted by the "Elites" crushing the poor innocent hard-working people of this once great country of ours and sticking a knife into the back of the patriotic Union flag-waving, roast beef-eating, Spitfire-loving true Britons?

Can you not see how the Sun and Daily Mail use this sort of language to get ordinary people to side with the really rich and unscrupulous? They tap into all kinds of narratives that stir completely inappropriate emotional reactions to those foreign people in Brussels who would actually like to work with the UK to protect the environment and workers' rights. The ruling class runs scared of the EU because it cannot get away with its dreadful practices - but they need to get the working class on their side and they do this by turning one section of that class against another.

And yes, you have been fooled.

Oh absolutely Fooled. Hook, line and everything else.
My only real worry would be that those nefarious rulers get the taste for blood and go all out to secure a no deal Brexit.

Better than a war that would be. For sure at first the pain would be extreme (8% hole in GDP = instant, long lasting recession the likes of which not seen since the 30's), but think of the upsides! For the ruling class, a population totally under the cosh, willing to agree to anything, just make the poison and the pain go away.

Much better than a war. And no money to be spent on a clean up operation. The sad thing is, the little people won't believe it, till it actually happens. And just like Germany, by 1935, it was too late already to do a sodding thing about it. The far right is on the rise everywhere, especially so in the UK. Just waiting, breath baited for an opportunity like this...

This is crunch time for Britain. Defeat these monsters in our midst, or spend a lifetime regretting it. And probably your children's lifetime too.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

" Defeat these monsters in our midst, or spend a lifetime regretting it. And probably your children's lifetime too."

Once the far right a.k.a. the shadowy REAL promoters of Brexit in power, the lifetime of "regretting" won't be very long for some of us. A "security camp" coming near you soon....