** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cugel »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Mick F wrote:Isn't that their whole idea behind their negotiation technique?
If(?) and when we leave, they will punish us as an example to others, so they have to make it difficult.

I really think you should either cite or provide some source for this "accusation".
It is a favourite strategy of "vote leave" easy to say but as far as I can see without any foundation whatsoever.
The EU wants to protect it's interests for they are the interests of its citizens.
Seems so obvious that even having to restate it seems banal.

I don't think Rees Mogg has my interest or the interests of the wider UK at heart.
He is on record as saying "the loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs will be worth it".

Some folk thought his view worth voting for.

Nothing fruitcake about that Mogg (or his dad, from whence he receives his diabolical wisdom). He knows exactly what he wants and how to get it. He is as clever and dedicated about it as any sociopath with a firm belief in the Divine Right of an aristocracy; or Social Darwinism; or any of those other schemes employed by those with the better half of their human nature missing to justify their predatory greed for power and riches.

Now, some feel that a fellow able to pursue power and riches will somehow be a good fellow in charge of a nation. The power and riches will "trickle down". The worthless ne'er-do-wells will all be expunged, to boot! In fact, the power and riches required by a Mogg-type are relative. He wishes to exert power by depriving others of any. He wished to measure his degree of "rich" by comparing it with the poverty of others. He will trickle down only that effect that turns everyone into one of "the undeserving poor".

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^^
Which makes him a fruitcake in my view.
Plenty of madmen show similar traits.
Greed for power over others and personal financial avarice.

He is missing a quinissential point about human existence.
His moral hypocrisy alone is enough to make one cringe.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Audax67 wrote:I greatly enjoyed this:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opin ... 01169.html

well get ready for the educati here to attack you here for that misguided article :lol: :wink: even though you didnt write it :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm not surprised. There's a nugget of truth in the complaint of London-based pundits pontificating about something they've not had to live through, but mostly she's completely unhinged from reality, to the point of defending Arlene Foster's stupid claim that the former British-Irish hard border wasn't a hard border merely because stuff was smuggled through it! :roll:

I expect you'd enjoy Ms O'Hanlon's many other reactionary articles, too, including such joys as "most male-to-female trans-sexuals [...] generally look like Shane MacGowan in a frock".

mercalia wrote:well get ready for the educati here to attack you here for that misguided article :lol: :wink:

So actually having bothered to got off one's backside and learn stuff merits an insulting label now? :roll:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Isn't that their whole idea behind their negotiation technique?
If(?) and when we leave, they will punish us as an example to others, so they have to make it difficult.

I think this point has been already discussed on this thread a few hundreds of pages back.

If they want to punish us, they're doing a damn poor job of it, considering they control our food supply...[/quote]
They don't need to punish us. The UK Government is doing pretty well at it on its own: protesting against its own backstop that it agreed to, spending millions hiring new ferry companies that don't have any ferries while not even telling former ferry companies that any hiring was going on (which is likely to cost millions to settle the court cases) and stockpiling medicines while telling people not to stockpile medicines!

roubaixtuesday wrote:The EU are a highly pragmatic organisation, they have to be as they are based on getting consensus across 27 countries. Even if some people wanted to "punish" us, they wouldn't be able to implement such a policy.

Look at the deal. It's better than anything offered to any equivalent country.

Perceived "punishment" is just the familiar desire to blame foreigners for our self-imposed problems.

Amen. Our friends abroad are still being amazingly kind to us. I suspect they'd take an opportunity to get rid of May now if they could, but they don't want to hurt ordinary people, most of who didn't vote for May's party.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:

well get ready for the educati here to attack you here for that misguided article :lol: :wink: even though you didnt write it :lol:

Mercalia,

it's always interesting to hear others' opinions, and notable that no-one has reacted in the way you predicted. Perhaps that should tell you something about the accuracy of your judgements of others.

As you're interested in Northern Ireland (If only more people had been, both before and after the vote!) here's another interesting article out today.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ung-people
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Nobody, but *nobody*, I've spoken to from anywhere in the world thinks we're doing the right thing.
Anywhere in the world?

Don't you mean anywhere in the world else except the UK?
I know loads of people who are Leavers. In fact, I can't think of anyone I know locally who isn't a Leaver.
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:Nobody, but *nobody*, I've spoken to from anywhere in the world thinks we're doing the right thing.
Anywhere in the world?

I know loads of people who are Leavers. In fact, I can't think of anyone I know locally who isn't a Leaver.

Yes.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Mick F wrote:
Anywhere in the world?

I took it to mean the real world.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I reckon I live The Real World, and you lot are in Fantasy Land.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I have, in the course of a few travels, at home and abroad, met both.

I have tried not to let differences about it spoil potentially interesting meetings, and by and large that has been the case.

I do have a couple of acquaintances, friends even, that voted leave but I think they have now become less sure of what they expected.

I certainly find their arguments in friendly discussion still couched in pretty vague terms, "all that money we send over there", etc.

When confronted with some actual facts and figures about the benefits from such monies they usually fall rather silent.

Bolmolov stated something about the "Millwall effect" upthread a sort of unwillingness to see that some of "leave" promises were demonstrably false.
Why no comment on here from "leavers" about the ferry contract debacle for example?

Let's face it this Govt. are about as incompetent and dishonest as they come. Scared of what they have become embroiled in too.

I for one am desperate for a change.
Public inquiry, I would support that for sure.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:I reckon I live The Real World, and you lot are in Fantasy Land.

You lot!
Compromise?
Discussion?

Ask "NaturalA" if that fits his hurt persona criteria?

Such diction is absent from my posts. (unless really provoked).
I am surprisingly, only human!!
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Sorry Mick! It was a comment on the UK as a whole rather than you particularly. It seems obvious (to me) that the UK has departed the real world.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Eilis O'Hanlon is a hard line Unionist. As such she's in favour of Northern Ireland being British. She shouldn't therefore complain about British people commenting on the situation there.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

He says, atop his Brexit unicorn :lol: