** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
mercalia wrote:you notice that all he funny bits dont have the tall guy in who has moved to some god forsaken island so he dont pay tax?
You really know how to kill a bit of fun stone-dead, don't you? :evil:

So you don't like Monty Python then? Well all I can say is, find another forum to give vent to your bile....

Pete
He's yanking on your chain
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Good news. I have been appointed Theresa May’s speechwriter. She will now address the nation:

The people gave us instructions to leave the EU. The process has caused unprecedented division and political chaos, but nevertheless I have been steadfast in my aim to deliver on the will of the people and have negotiated the best deal I believe possible. However, parliament has been unable to agree its implementation, and let us remember that restoring the sovereignty of our parliament is the purpose of the Brexit process. Whilst I personally disagree with their stance, their reasons are understandable in that the deal will leave us all poorer and require several years more negotiation of highly contentious issues, further sowing division and diverting politicians attention from pressing matters at home.

I am not prepared to countenance a “no deal” Brexit. This would be truly catastrophic for our country, plunging our most vulnerable communities into poverty, the very communities that turned out to vote for Brexit for a better future. I am also not prepared to offer a choice between imaginary unavailable “deals”, as that would leave the country no further forward than we are today. Accordingly, and given no alternative by these circumstances, my government will bring forward a bill for a referendum for the people to choose between the deal we have negotiated, or remaining in the EU under current arrangements. We will seek EU agreement to postpone article 50 for this purpose, and this purpose alone.

Back in the real world, Theresa seems to be attempting to engineer a false choice between her deal or no deal. Meanwhile the theatre of the absurd of her cabinet colleagues jostling for position to be first in line to sup from the poisoned chalice of leading the Conservative party shames a nation in crisis.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

And the Cabinet has just allocated £2bn for a possible hard Brexit.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:Pete
So it would appear. But some people do it more than others...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Pete
So it would appear. But some people do it more than others...

Don't give him the opportunity by ignoring the yanking :wink:
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I dinnae like Monty Python either, had too much of it back then. I prefer more 'cultured' 'humour', self-deprecation, playing with words, ISIHAC, one tune to the song of another* :wink:

Is no deal the 'full monty'? :?
*all on the bbc :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Dear reohn2 and roubaixtuesday, Please excuse my insufficient postings including punctuation & grammar!
Mia Culpa, all down to my lacking further education, indeed compounded by only a basic Secondary Modern Education.
There is surely a difference between ignorance, myself, and ignorant behaviour?
By all means point out errors that you may perceive in my posts, but surely it should not be a case of going the humiliation route over my educational short comings!
The educational failings of the 1950's may be to blame, but I feel offended at being ridiculed by the "Educational Elite", those who were able to take advantage of both further & higher education.
What I lack in such areas I try to make up for in good manners.
I find it very sad these days to see that one needs a good university education to take up posts for shelf stacking & burger flipping?
So glad that folk like John Major were not held back by a poor education? He of course failed the maths test to become a bus conductor, yet went on to become a merchant banker and indeed to become the Prime Minister. I sailed through the educational requirements but failed the medical.
Are we now expected to post a quality C.V. before contributing to this forum?
Roughness is just acceptable, rudeness is surely not. MM * Holder of Swimming Certificates & Cycling Club Record.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Merseymouth I find your posts quite lucid, to the point and often entertaining. Which is more than can be said for some (you know who you are!) :roll:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

merseymouth wrote:Dear reohn2 and roubaixtuesday, Please excuse my insufficient postings including punctuation & grammar!
Mia Culpa, all down to my lacking further education, indeed compounded by only a basic Secondary Modern Education.
By all means point out errors that you may perceive in my posts, but surely it should not be a case of going the humiliation route over my educational short comings!
The educational failings of the 1950's may be to blame, but I feel offended at being ridiculed by the "Educational Elite", those who were able to take advantage of both further & higher education.
I find it very sad these days to see that one needs a good university education to take up posts for shelf stacking & burger flipping?
So glad that folk like John Major were not held back by a poor education? He of course failed the maths test to become a bus conductor, yet went on to become a merchant banker and indeed to become the Prime Minister. I sailed through the educational requirements but failed the medical.
Roughness is just acceptable, rudeness is surely not. MM * Holder of Swimming Certificates & Cycling Club Record.

I never mentioned your grammar or punctuation,just that your posts where become incoherent and unreasonable,not to mention rambling.
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

So perhaps your good manners will answer this:

Remind me how the EU controls us? Everything it does the UK has subscribed to, often initiated.

It doesn't control us in : taxation, healthcare, defence, war, railways, utilities, education, social security, immigration. .

So how?
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote:So perhaps your good manners will answer this:

Remind me how the EU controls us? Everything it does the UK has subscribed to, often initiated.

It doesn't control us in : taxation, healthcare, defence, war, railways, utilities, education, social security, immigration. .

So how?

Or indeed, as I asked before: if you were happy with the EEC, which of the other two existing communities (justice and defence) that were added to create the European Union are you unhappy about?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

omg Mrs May is getting advice from CAMERON. Now wonder its a cock-up?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46592394
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Dear reohn2 and roubaixtuesday, Please excuse my insufficient postings including punctuation & grammar!

I never mentioned your grammar or punctuation,just that your posts where become incoherent and unreasonable,not to mention rambling.

Short posts are good
John Major came from a circus family, that was too exciting for him so he got a job in a bank :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:omg Mrs May is getting advice from CAMERON. Now wonder its a cock-up?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46592394

Actually, it says he's "been speaking to" her. It doesn't say May's been listening... listening doesn't seem to be one of her strong (and stable?) skills.

Not sure if it would be better or worse if she listened to Cameron. She seems determined to run this country into the ground by refusing to check the will of the people in a fairer vote than the 2016 one stolen by lies and funny money.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Two long pages have gone and passed since I was last on this board.
Grief! :shock:
I can't keep up.

Keeping the record straight, I'm still a leaver and I don't agree with having a Round Two .................... or Three etc.
Mick F. Cornwall