** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Electrical work is not "pariah territory". A couple of years ago I did extensive re-wiring in my own house quite legally. Gas I've no experience with but I'd be hesitant to buy/rent somewhere where the gas installation was a DIY job by somebody who could not afford a professional to make-up for their own lack of knowledge and skills.

Ian

I understood that only a qualified electrician was legally allowed to work on household electrics. I'm glad to hear I am wrong, because I have ignored this and dodged around the reg. in my own diy.
Funnily enough, I see gas plumbing as less demanding than water plumbing, gas being at a rather lower pressure than water.
If you can solder a Yorkshire fitting joint which does not leak water, then gas is easy.

Any domestic installation needs to be tested and signed off on a certificate by a qualified electrician. Try selling a house without the necessary paperwork. You may be able to find a sparks who will check out your work but any sparks doing any works on your property becomes legally responsible for the whole electrical installation. If you mess with gas and any plumber who becomes aware of that will blank off your meter in a trice.

Al

So one minute you are declaring it as "pariah territory" and next minute you are stating (correctly) that all you need to do is have it inspected by a qualified electrician (which is very reasonable and sensible given how it's likely that at some point others might unknowingly be subject to the dangers of unqualified incapable electrical work).

You were insinuating blame towards the EU
al_yrpal wrote:..... As I understand it the EU seems to be angling to stop or outlaw that.... Gas and electrical work in your home has also become pariah territory....

Part P Building Regs (and these are UK Building Regs NOT EU Building Regs) state “Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.” - which seems very sensible to be so can't understand your objection to these UK regulations.

I've found it very easy to get Part P tests done. Last works I did (a couple of years ago) was extensive changes and additional to all upstairs wiring an dit cost mo £50 to get the Part P tests done/certificate. My brother is currently renovating a property (completely different part of the country) and getting the tests done is no problem.

Ian
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In Norway, which has adopted EU regs (and added some of their own) with regards to electrical wiring in buildings, all electrical installations that are newly installed, repaired, changed, upgraded, etc. have to be certified by a qualified electrician. A limited number of electricians will inspect and certify work that someone else has done. More will hook up, inspect and certify wiring that someone else has done.

So, when I needed some new wiring done a couple of years ago, I ran all the wires, mounted junction boxes & outlets, hung lights, and bought switches. The electrician inspected it, connected the wires, checked everything and wrote the certificate.

IMO, it makes perfect sense to require such things to be checked and certified. Electrical wiring and appliances is one of the top causes of house fires, and I would guess it's either the first or second after human error type incidents (smoking, cooking, candles).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Psamathe wrote:So one minute you are declaring it as "pariah territory" and next minute you are stating (correctly) that all you need to do is have it inspected by a qualified electrician (which is very reasonable and sensible given how it's likely that at some point others might unknowingly be subject to the dangers of unqualified incapable electrical work).

Al lives in quantum argument land where any fact can be used to both support or disprove something depending on how he views it.

I've nearly always done all my own wiring (and plumbing). Including the "illegal" wiring in bathrooms, kitchens etc.
I'm about to fit a heated floor, extraction fan and lighting to an en-suite I've just ripped out - in 20 years time when both me and it are past their best I doubt anyone will ever query it's provenance.

The last house I sold a couple of years ago I'd refitted all three bathrooms and kitchen including any wiring that needed doing, I simply rang up an electrician to get the house wiring checked, they came and checked it and gave me the appropriate paperwork.
They never asked who did the work - that's not what they're there for.

Ditto the gas (I don't mess with gas though), turns out there was a fault on the living room fire which we never use anyway so I sold the house with it disconnected and a "danger do not use" sticker on it. :lol:

I did come a cropper through my ignorance when I changed some windows in the house I was selling. Turns out they need a certificate from the installer which I was unaware of.
But similarly that wasn't a problem since I simply had the choice of getting a building inspector to come and check them or paying £50 for some form of insurance, paying the £50 was the easiest option since the solicitor simply added it to their fees.
(The real ignorance here was saying I'd changed them which formed part of the "new windows fitted" blurb.)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Barnier was the proponent of the border in the Irish Sea. Question is will various folk accept it? Hopefully it could eventually lead to a United Ireland...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

When we sold my F-i-L's house after he died, I did a quick check myself and found that one of the light switches wasn't working properly. Opening it up, I discovered that the (rubber) insulation had perished all the way back, exposing live wires. On opening up other switches and sockets, I found just the same. We told the estate agent that the wiring throughout the house was unsafe, and instructed them to pass on the message to any potential buyers. I don't want to be responsible for any accidents!

We still sold the house though. I hope that the first thing the buyer did, was to get it completely re-wired.

This was about 20 years ago, probably the current regs. came in since then.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
kwackers wrote:
Vorpal wrote:You might as well say that we are ruled by the British Standards agency because that is closer to the role the EU fulfill with regard to British law.

Brexiters don't see that.

Usual guff from "its my way or no way" you call yourself a reasonable person :roll:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Remainers Angst thread

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Debs wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:My 'snide' laugh, as you put it, was in response to a snide laugh from one of your Remainer mates. Personally I am happy to pay a bit more for a chicken, most chickens are raised in inhumane conditions. All this intergenerational rubbish is just.....rubbish. As everyone gets older their views change, a well known fact. You can claim someone is robbing someone else of something but the truth is we all pursue the conclusion we believe in. I believe in exiting the EU like the clear majority who voted for it.

Al

What clear majority was that then?
52.9% isn't anywhere near a clear majority.

51.9% even lesser so :wink:

The 37% of the electorate voted for it, the other 63% didn't.

So all those who could not be bothered to vote just thought it's safe not to need to vote at all.........how wrong they and you were :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:So all those who could not be bothered to vote just thought it's safe not to need to vote at all.........how wrong they and you were :P

On a similar note, do you personally think it was fair that UK citizens living in the EU were denied a vote?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:So all those who could not be bothered to vote just thought it's safe not to need to vote at all.........how wrong they and you were :P

On a similar note, do you personally think it was fair that UK citizens living in the EU were denied a vote?

Particularly given how they might be financially devastated by the move. Not just the crash in £ sterling but those on state pension still have no idea if their index linking is to be stopped (for those in countries where their pensions are index linked). Last I heard is that the UK Government is refusing to say what is going to happen leaving them in complete limbo for something they had no say in.

Ian
Debs

Post by Debs »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Debs wrote:
reohn2 wrote:What clear majority was that then?
52.9% isn't anywhere near a clear majority.

51.9% even lesser so :wink:

The 37% of the electorate voted for it, the other 63% didn't.

So all those who could not be bothered to vote just thought it's safe not to need to vote at all.........how wrong they and you were :P

When you come to think about it, it's only the 17.4 million that matter, and that includes the estimated million or so of them who are now dead. They, and they only matter because they and only they are the people, the other 50 million inhabitants of the UK are nobodies and certainly not the people and no longer account for anything because they will always be totally irrelevant with no say in anything evermore, damn them to hell and oblivion for ever and ever. Sieg Heil Brexit! and on with the goose-stepping!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Usual guff from "its my way or no way" you call yourself a reasonable person :roll:

Not at all, spend five minutes on any brexiter site and see for yourself.

Misinformation abounds and the means to prove it's nonsense exists but yet a large number chose to ignore it and continue spouting the same old crap. Lets face it even BoJo - your leader does it too!
If that's not ignorance perhaps you can put me straight?
As for hate - same thing, or perhaps watch some of their videos or listen to the thinly veiled death threats and hate they bandy about. Racism, homophobia, death threats against MP's - all rising and all tied to brexit.

Hopefully neither of those is you (although tbh I do wonder about the first) but these are the people you've chosen as your bed fellows.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

The Queen's speech.
Made me feel sick to the stomach.
And you have it from the mouth of the Queen herself, " new opportunities for the legal and financial sectors".
They want a tax haven type economy.
I guess there's little else left after ten years of mismanagement.

Nothing about UK citizens in the EU.

It's not done and dusted yet though.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PDQ Mobile wrote:On a similar note, do you personally think it was fair that UK citizens living in the EU were denied a vote?
What about all the Scottish people who live abroad?
Do they have no vote about Scottish Independence?
Why do non-Scots living in Scotland have a vote on Scottish independence?
What about a French person living in UK on the electoral register in his home in UK?
Can he have a vote on UK leaving the EU or not?
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

brexit.JPG
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:On a similar note, do you personally think it was fair that UK citizens living in the EU were denied a vote?
What about all the Scottish people who live abroad?
Do they have no vote about Scottish Independence?
Why do non-Scots living in Scotland have a vote on Scottish independence?
What about a French person living in UK on the electoral register in his home in UK?
Can he have a vote on UK leaving the EU or not?

You tell me and I'll tell you which I think are correct and vice versa.

Riddle
Why didn't the Queen wear her crown?

Because her neck's not stiff enough.