** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:seems like the only people who will be seriously affected by Brexit food wise are the drinkers?

eu imports.JPG

But I suppose cheap Dutch pork will end?

Always reminds me of this:

roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
mercalia wrote:seems like the only people who will be seriously affected by Brexit food wise are the drinkers?

eu imports.JPG

But I suppose cheap Dutch pork will end?

Could you provide a link for your source and explain what the percentages are of please?

Otherwise they're just random numbers.

here the BBC News website - 10 Ways Brexit may affect you
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47470864

Thanks.

I think your interpretation of the figures is not quite right; 21% of the value of imports from the eu is fruit and veg. It doesn't tell you how much of our fruit and veg comes from the EU.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
mercalia wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Could you provide a link for your source and explain what the percentages are of please?

Thanks.

I think your interpretation of the figures is not quite right; 21% of the value of imports from the eu is fruit and veg. It doesn't tell you how much of our fruit and veg comes from the EU.

Interseting article here

The "fruit" of my research .....
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
mercalia wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

Thanks.

not sure what you mean. I was merely reflecting about drink. They would have to be very expensive bottles to amount to just a small number of bottles by value? I was rather interested in the meat/cereal percentage which struck me as rather low?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I see Welsh AM Andrew Davies has been putting his oar into the debate again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49374658
He is now following the new Brexit mantra that democracy would be betrayed by not leaving.
Adding Brexit would pose a "real danger to the fabric of the United Kingdom".
And yet given recent polls that is almost certainly not the case.
He is crap MP and a big mouth.
He should listen to the Welsh farming community more closely. They are for the most part deeply worried about the impact of losing a very large part of their market.

He wrote this now risible rubbish in Feb 2017!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-38980573

And he won't be getting any apology from me.
It is Mr Davies himself who should do the apologising.
Swindon, Scunthorpe, Sterling at rock bottom,, loss of significant benefits to me personally. Chaos in Westminster and rising social unrest.
Threats to food and medicine supplies.
Davies represents a Govt that has presided over the biggest disaster for the UK in my long lifetime.
Time for them to be got rid of for a very long time.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Thanks.

not sure what you mean. I was merely reflecting about drink. They would have to be very expensive bottles to amount to just a small number of bottles by value? I was rather interested in the meat/cereal percentage which struck me as rather low?

Some are very high value indeed - look up the price of Chateau Petrus for example.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

... and now we have " Project Yellowhammer"

Where the "Government" is dismissing its own policies as "Project Fear"

Ironically the fits in with the classic definition of "Project Fear" where it is a simple dismissal (without any evidence) of anything apart from UNicorns grazing tranquilly in golden idyllic pastures
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

And blaming the 'leak' on a 'Remainer Plot'. Surprised Bozo didn't resort to that derogatory word with an 'o' instead of an 'a'. Or perhaps he did...

What the hell are Remainers supposed to do? The Brex*iteers have played dirty all along the line.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:... and now we have " Project Yellowhammer"

Ironically the fits in with the classic definition of "Project Fear" where it is a simple dismissal (without any evidence) of anything apart from UNicorns grazing tranquilly in golden idyllic pastures

It makes interesting reading. One thing it suggest is that the worse off in society will suffer the most. All the evidence indicates that they voted overwhelmingly for Brexit. It certainly proves the saying "Be very careful for what you wish for, you might get it".
Many of the people who will suffer the most will be on benefits. The current right wing government is unlikely to increase them even if food prices go up a lot.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:

It makes interesting reading. One thing it suggest is that the worse off in society will suffer the most. All the evidence indicates that they voted overwhelmingly for Brexit. It certainly proves the saying "Be very careful for what you wish for, you might get it".
Many of the people who will suffer the most will be on benefits. The current right wing government is unlikely to increase them even if food prices go up a lot.

Be careful you dont call them the "Lower Class" as some one here will jump down your throat :wink:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Be careful you dont call them the "Lower Class" as some one here will jump down your throat :wink:

Interesting (and I saw it). What if you said e.g. "It was mainly middle & upper classes that voted to remain". Would people kick-up about that?

Ian
Debs

Post by Debs »

mercalia wrote:Be careful you dont call them the "Lower Class" as some one here will jump down your throat :wink:

KM2

Post by KM2 »

Is this going to be Ineos’s biggest win.

With Barclay signing out EU law, and Ineos demanding exemption from EU pollution laws, otherwise they close factories, is this going to pay for their cycling team with the health of our children and country.

We can’t all disappear to Monaco to escape personal taxes.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:It makes interesting reading. One thing it suggest is that the worse off in society will suffer the most. All the evidence indicates that they voted overwhelmingly for Brexit. It certainly proves the saying "Be very careful for what you wish for, you might get it".

Come off it! I don't see either of the words "lower" or "class" in P75's post. And you know full well what word it was I found inappropriate. "Idiot".
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:It makes interesting reading. One thing it suggest is that the worse off in society will suffer the most. All the evidence indicates that they voted overwhelmingly for Brexit. It certainly proves the saying "Be very careful for what you wish for, you might get it".

Come off it! I don't see either of the words "lower" or "class" in P75's post. And you know full well what word it was I found inappropriate. "Idiot".

Rich Hall said When you go to work, if your name is on the front of the building, you're upper class; if your name is on your office door, you're middle class; and if your name is on your shirt, you're working class. :wink:
I suppose you could add lower middle class to that - name on desk.