** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Bonefishblues »

mr bajokoses wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:
May's political judgement is truly terrible. It would be laughably so if this weren't quite an important issue. Does she not think she needs some of those parliamentarians behind her?

It's looking more and more like a war between the government and parliament, nothing to do with 'the people'.

Eventually parliament will win, as it gets its act together and moves inexorably towards revoking Article 50, having ruled out every other option.

The EU are asking for proposals for an extension, by Thursday. What can she possibly tell them?

Lunchtime news said 3 months as-is, with the option of a further 2 years was what she was going to ask for.

She can ask but Donald Tusk and Leo Varadkar have already said:
They agreed that we must now see what proposals emerge from London in advance of the European Council meeting in Brussels on Thursday.

It will be a fascinating game of poker, for sure.

We have the upper hand, I know, because, well, the nice people said we had really, you know, what with the EU needing us more than we needed them, and all that.
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

Bonefishblues wrote:It will be a fascinating game of poker, for sure.

We have the upper hand, I know, because, well, the nice people said we had really, you know, what with the EU needing us more than we needed them, and all that.

Yes, we are just waiting for May to decide the time is right to play her cards. :lol:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mr bajokoses wrote:

Yes, we are just waiting for May to decide the time is right to play her cards. :lol:

A stage career beckons for us - some sort of Tragi-comedy, I'll wager :D
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:

Shakespeare would have loved brexit, it's got it all.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mr bajokoses wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:

He'd have been laughed off the stage if he'd written that plotline.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The only sensible way out of the Brexit mess is a Final Say – let’s march for one this Saturday, 23rd, says the petition
seems like 1.2m have already signed the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-give-people-a-final-say-on-brexit-deal/u/24313413?cs_tk=AlgolVivZ-S9EiQGlVwAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvC6Y-tAgT4L0m8rmJ0vGqi0%3D&utm_campaign=7961146f12b543778cb21e804bf5d98d&utm_source=petition_update

wont it be funny if all along she is behaving the way she is to kill off Brexit and remain in the EU?
georgew

Post by georgew »

The only bright spot in this whole sad, ridiculous saga, is that the Scottish people now see Westminster and the political parties there for what they really are. Surely now, no-one here can think for a moment that we cannot do better in managing our own affairs than that sorry bunch of incompetents, who have put the advancement of their own careers and Party, before the good of the UK.
Despite our protestations, despite our warnings that Brexit...in whatever form...will damage our economy and wreck the lives of many of our citizens from the EU who were welcomed here and who now have careers and families, we are to be dragged out of the EU on the coat-tails of a country which is now the laughing-stock of the whole world. Our attitude towards these new Scots, who were welcomed by the Scottish Government and reassured that they were seen as, and would be treated as Scottish citizens, is in direct contradiction to the naked hostility and overt racism which has characterised the Home office and the Tory Government. I can assure you that the people up here find it repugnant to be part of a political union where such attitudes are not only widespread but have been actively encouraged and used by a Government to gain a political objective.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Bonefishblues wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:Shakespeare would have loved brexit, it's got it all.

Makes some films I've watched and dismissed as silly and far fetched look totally legit.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

kwackers wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:Shakespeare would have loved brexit, it's got it all.

Makes some films I've watched and dismissed as silly and far fetched look totally legit.

Yep, the lad next door's just ridden his BMX past our window - the upstairs one, carrying a little fella in his front basket, seemed to me.

Nobody batted an eyelid - I told him he needed a helmet to be doing that stunt riding, mind.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mr bajokoses wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mr bajokoses wrote:

so what would be the title?

The Taming of Mrs May?

Much Ado About Nothing. the sequel?

or

The Comedy of Errors the sequel

A Midsummer Night's Nightmare

All's Well That Ends Well the sequel

so willy boy has the titles, just needs the words

many of his plays have a comic relief so BoJo can be given a part for sure
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all :) , Has anyone else seen the troubles that Swtzerland is having with the E.U.?
Reported in the Telegraph that the E.U. is getting nasty with the Swiss demanding that it either rolls over and cedes every type of control to Brussels or it will screw them up!
Centuries of neutrality count for nothing when the profession Brussels Mafia set their sights on you.
TTFN MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

merseymouth wrote:Hi all :) , Has anyone else seen the troubles that Swtzerland is having with the E.U.?
Reported in the Telegraph that the E.U. is getting nasty with the Swiss demanding that it either rolls over and cedes every type of control to Brussels or it will screw them up!
Centuries of neutrality count for nothing when the profession Brussels Mafia set their sights on you.
TTFN MM

reference?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Mercallia, Page one of the Business Section, Tuesday 19th March 2019. Continued on page seven.
If could of course be Trump's Favourite, "Fake News"?
TTFN MM
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

merseymouth wrote:Hi all :) , Has anyone else seen the troubles that Swtzerland is having with the E.U.?
TTFN MM

Switzerland is trying to get all the benefits of being in the EU without actually being in it.
So, when the EU makes things conditional on getting these benefits they either accept or turn down everything.
Now the Swiss have been sorting out a deal with the EU since early 2000's and it's by no means done and dusted yet and they're actually quite keen because prior to having a deal the Swiss economy wasn't that great.

So here's an idea.

If the Swiss want all the same rights as member states wouldn't it make sense for them to actually be a member state?
That way if the EU tries to do something they don't like they can simply vote against it and the EU requires all member states to agree on something else it can't happen.

It makes absolutely zero sense to be outside and being forced to jump through hoops when you can be inside and decide on what those hoops look like.

Obviously from our point of view we've voted to take back control, which bizarrely really means sitting down and rolling over whenever the EU, the US, China, India or any of the other massive trading bodies we want to deal with tell us too.
On the plus side whenever anyone outside the UK want to tell a race based 'idiot' joke at least they can say "A UK citizen, an American and a Chinese man walk into a bar"...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Mercallia, Page one of the Business Section, Tuesday 19th March 2019. Continued on page seven.
If could of course be Trump's Favourite, "Fake News"?
TTFN MM

That really tell us a lot doesn't it?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker