** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cunobelin

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cunobelin »

Mick F wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Definition of Brexit...

An Englishman, Scotsman, Welshman, and. Northern Irish person walk into a bar to order a drink

They then all leave the bar without one because the Englishman wanted to
Correction.

............ because both the Englishman and the Welshman wanted to.

... and the Cornish man, or is that Men of Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:No one in my whole life asked my opinion for any poll,and strongly suspect that goes more most other people in the country too.Don't forget how polls can be toally misleading and wrong.
Making a few assumptions and guesstimates, I figure that any one person's chances of ever being questioned by opinion pollsters, over their entire lifetime, are less than 20%. So don't hold your breath waiting for that phone call (it'll more likely be a spammer anyway)...

I was, just once, stopped in the street by an pollster of sorts (at least, she said she was). Absolutely nothing to do with politics. It was TV audience research. I was asked what programmes I'd watched in the past week. I remember the occasion well. I was a teenager; it was mid July 1966, and if you can remember that far back, something "special" was happening at about that time. She asked me if I thought there was "too much football". I said yes, I thought it was beginning to get boring.

Needless to say, I had absolutely no idea yet, what would transpire on 30 July of that year.....

But as I said - my political leanings have yet to be sampled - other than at the ballot box....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Is this the end of this thread?
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No, it is not yet even the beginning, more than six months to Black Friday :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:No, it is not yet even the beginning, more than six months to Black Friday :?

And then one, maybe two decades of trying to make it work with the occasional burst of "is it time to rejoin" - although that might warrant another thread.

So I predict this thread will be the thread that outlives all others.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:Is this the end of this thread?

Fancy a small wager? :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had noticed that this thread hadn't been touched since Friday evening, and it was now Monday afternoon. I've already said that I'm out of this discussion as it's going round in circles ..................... and I reckon going round in circles more than most of the threads on here ........................ but I have still been checking in and seeing how the arguments are progressing ........... or not.

Progressing, is the operative word here, because it's not, and it's not even drifting onto an unrelated subject. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

Mick F wrote:it's going round in circles

It's an accurate reflection of Brexit itself. The circle will not be broken until our elected leaders come clean with the public and face up to the rather hard choices they have to make.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

This thread isnt the only thing going round and round in crcles, both major parties are too by the sound of it. In contrast the EU knows exactly where its going. When the Germans have made their mind up and Barney Macron is supporting them the rest have to fall in line. And, as far as they are concerned we are amongst the rest… Know your place!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:and I reckon going round in circles more than most of the threads on here

Pretty much everything to do with bicycles goes around and around in circles - including their riders.
Not sure why threads should be any different...
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote:This thread isnt the only thing going round and round in crcles, both major parties are too by the sound of it. In contrast the EU knows exactly where its going. When the Germans have made their mind up and Barney Macron is supporting them the rest have to fall in line. And, as far as they are concerned we are amongst the rest… Know your place!

Misleading Brits always portray it like that, but on some subjects, any member state can block it with a veto and on others, Germany and France have 8.4% of the voting weight each, same as the UK does, (although I expect we're required to abstain on Brexit), so there's no "have to fall in line" about it!

The unpalatable truth for leavers is that the UK government has been absurd wasting weeks watering the Chequers proposal down and then taking it to the EU when even the first version contained so much they've already rejected. It seems some of our MPs would try to repeatedly offer no deposit when negotiating a deposit+instalments purchase finance plan - some probably have little business negotiation experience, whereas a few probably want a no-deal to help them feather their own nests through currency trading and so on.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Brexit means Brexit

Post by Cyril Haearn »

tyreon wrote:I voted LEAVE. But I am now seeing things different.

I watched the TdF. The Giro. Recently the Veulta. Then I watched the Tour of Britain!

All the Continental Tours finished with the victors being kissed by 6' babes with xtra long legs (and all the other trimmings... I know I've spoken wrong here :? ) On the GB Tour I saw the winner being handed something or other by an Eric Pickles lookalike! No way fellas. As an ordinary bloke(in the minority these days,I think)I don't expect to ride 180ks up mountain and down dale to met with Eric Pickles. I know things have changed these days,but this is going too far. If OUT means having to settle with PC correctness and Eric Pickles I want a second referendum. I demand a recount.

I am banking on a new career as a Podium Boy (grey hair + beard) :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
horizon

Post by horizon »

661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:No one in my whole life asked my opinion for any poll,and strongly suspect that goes more most other people in the country too.Don't forget how polls can be toally misleading and wrong.
Making a few assumptions and guesstimates, I figure that any one person's chances of ever being questioned by opinion pollsters, over their entire lifetime, are less than 20%. So don't hold your breath waiting for that phone call (it'll more likely be a spammer anyway)...

But as I said - my political leanings have yet to be sampled - other than at the ballot box....

I've been polled three times by Populus by phone in the last three years. Full questionnaire lasting about 5 - 10 minutes; mainly political questions about Brexit and of course my voting intention.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

I had noticed that this thread hadn't been touched since Friday evening, and it was now Monday afternoon. I've already said that I'm out of this discussion as it's going round in circles ..................... and I reckon going round in circles more than most of the threads on here ........................ but I have still been checking in and seeing how the arguments are progressing ........... or not.

Progressing, is the operative word here, because it's not, and it's not even drifting onto an unrelated subject. :lol:

It may not go around in circles so much if brexit supporters could give good solid reason for their desicions to vote the way they did.
I'd gladly welcome some decent debate on the subject but upto present there hasn't been any,it's why I keep asking the same question which never gets answered......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

mjr wrote: Germany and France have 8.4% of the voting weight each, same as the UK does, (although I expect we're required to abstain on Brexit), so there's no "have to fall in line" about it!

What a naive view! Much mirth. He who pays the Piper calls the tune! :lol: And, its always been so.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......