** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PDQ Mobile

Re: Remainers Angst thread

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:What about a French person living in UK on the electoral register in his home in UK?
Can he have a vote on UK leaving the EU or not?

Dunno about the Scottish indy ref.

As far as I know UK citizens can vote on some UK issues when resident/working elsewhere. By post.

The UK resident Frenchman could not vote in the EU referendum.
But he could vote on some French issues and probably for MEPs.
I know non UK citizens resident in the UK for 40 years that cannot be on the UK electoral register.
Debs

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Debs »

Is it me or did our Queen look extremely unhappy to be there with the undignifying role of reading a speech of obvious deceptions?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Dunno about the Scottish indy ref.
Our son, who was living in Scotland at the time, but is not ethnically Scots, was able to vote on the Indy ref. As far as I know, he voted to stay in the UK. Possibly the majority of other non-Scots living in Scotland did the same.

I suppose the SNP, and others, might be able to make a case about that. But how would you define a 'Scot'?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Debs wrote:Is it me or did our Queen look extremely unhappy to be there with the undignifying role of reading a speech of obvious deceptions?
Now would be a good time to abdicate, I think. Let Charlie handle all the flak....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Dunno about the Scottish indy ref.
Our son, who was living in Scotland at the time, but is not ethnically Scots, was able to vote on the Indy ref. As far as I know, he voted to stay in the UK. Possibly the majority of other non-Scots living in Scotland did the same.

I suppose the SNP, and others, might be able to make a case about that. But how would you define a 'Scot'?

Sounds reasonable.
He is a UK citizen resident in Scotland and has a right to vote on UK issues.
(big mistake on his part in retrospect!
But then there were some things he did not know!)
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:
Debs wrote:Is it me or did our Queen look extremely unhappy to be there with the undignifying role of reading a speech of obvious deceptions?
Now would be a good time to abdicate, I think. Let Charlie handle all the flak....

Yep her neck ain't stiff enough.

"We do not enter into politics, we are above such things. One merely demurs and reads the prepared text, without question"

How's Andrew getting along?
Debs

Post by Debs »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Yep her neck ain't stiff enough.

Ain't brass enough you mean! :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Mick F wrote:What about a French person living in UK on the electoral register in his home in UK?
Can he have a vote on UK leaving the EU or not?

Dunno about the Scottish indy ref.

As far as I know UK citizens can vote on some UK issues when resident/working elsewhere. By post.

The UK resident Frenchman could not vote in the EU referendum.
But he could vote on some French issues and probably for MEPs.
I know non UK citizens resident in the UK for 40 years that cannot be on the UK electoral register.

Citizens of the UK living abroad can vote in UK elections & referendums for the first 15 years of residence abroad, but not after that.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:...What about all the Scottish people who live abroad?
Do they have no vote about Scottish Independence?
Why do non-Scots living in Scotland have a vote on Scottish independence?

How you define somebody as being"Scottish"?
I think the Scottish Independence Referendum in 2014(?) had a more sensible electorate that the 2016 EU Referendum. For me one important improvement in the Scottish Independence Referendum electorate was allowing younger people to have a vote - after all they would be the ones really affected by the change, the ones who would bear a lot of any cost, who'd have to live with any change for longer, etc.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
kwackers wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Usual guff from "its my way or no way" you call yourself a reasonable person :roll:

Not at all, spend five minutes on any brexiter site and see for yourself.

Misinformation abounds and the means to prove it's nonsense exists but yet a large number chose to ignore it and continue spouting the same old crap. Lets face it even BoJo - your leader does it too!
If that's not ignorance perhaps you can put me straight?
As for hate - same thing, or perhaps watch some of their videos or listen to the thinly veiled death threats and hate they bandy about. Racism, homophobia, death threats against MP's - all rising and all tied to brexit.

Hopefully neither of those is you (although tbh I do wonder about the first) but these are the people you've chosen as your bed fellows.

Threads pruned to remove your Guff.
What's misinformation, that's stuff you think that others have read so that's the reason they don't fall in with mainstream mantra of the other side.
How do you know, you can't know, its just a retort.

Some even say don't believe everything you read, that normally comes from people in privileged positions like e.g. Police / Your Boss even your parents, they say that as a defence of stuff they don't want to hear, implying that everything you hear is wrong, of course the police are in a position to know what is not in the public domain, so they would say that, but they as they are no more educated than joe blogs (recruited from the public) they can also be led by their superiors. OTOH joe public only has peers, unless they are brain washed by their elders.

Before the current thread you might remember my thread IIRC "EU Ref I am Confused" and how many today are less confused about the subject, we have had time to get interested but are we more or less confused over what is right.
The mantra from M.P's on both sides is still confusing, and I admit with some doubt over whether its is all right to leave, that's some small doubt small percent.

You listen to part political broadcasts and from any side its just words that we like to hear.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Vorpal wrote:Citizens of the UK living abroad can vote in UK elections & referendums for the first 15 years of residence abroad, but not after that.

I tried to find out more.
I wanted to know how that largish group voted but it is not shown in any results table I can find.
Eligibility was gained presumably by being within those 15 years on the Electoral Reg. somewhere in the UK?

I guess the postal votes were merely included in the appropriate constituency results?
It would be interesting to know how they voted as a group though?
I seem to remember a result from Spain at the time of the Ref. that said it was around 75% Remain.
Similar but less decisive than Gibraltar.

As one of the expat group perhaps you know?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Citizens of the UK living abroad can vote in UK elections & referendums for the first 15 years of residence abroad, but not after that.

I wanted to know how that largish group voted but it is not shown in any results table I can find.
Eligibility was gained presumably by being within those 15 years on the Electoral Reg. somewhere in the UK?

I guess the postal votes were merely included in the appropriate constituency results?
I seem to remember a result from Spain at the time of the Ref. that said it was around 75% Remain.

When I moved to France the UK refused to give me a vote. Returning Officer from where I lived immediately prior to my move seemed to have his own agenda and rules. My MP (from same constituency) got on the case and wrote to him explaining the rules to him but apparently got a stern response as MPs are apparently not meant to get involved in such matters (crosses some line or so Returning Officer declared)!.

So I never got a vote whilst living overseas (I tried hard but no joy).

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

So according to The Guardian this is Boris' deal

Under his proposals, the prime minister would be able to boast that the UK “whole and entire” had left the European Union. “Northern Ireland would de jure be in the UK’s customs territory but de facto in the European Union’s,” one diplomatic source said of the tentative agreement.

What a con? It's what one hand giveth the other hand taketh away. Who can end the de facto status? The UK? Don't think the EU will like that? The EU? Then what is the de jure worth, nothing? Something tells me Boris has been watching too many magic shows as its just a sleight of hand?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PDQ Mobile wrote:

The Financial Times did a survey just before the referendum that suggested British expatriates were going to vote in favour of remain by 72%.

I've also read that many expats did not vote, believing the the UK would never vote to leave the EU.

There doesn't seem to be much publicly available data on how many ex-patriates did vote.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:What's misinformation, that's stuff you think that others have read so that's the reason they don't fall in with mainstream mantra of the other side.
How do you know, you can't know, its just a retort.

Misinformation is the stuff that repeated ad-nauseum and is demonstrably false.

What examples do you want?

Things like "Turkey is joining the EU", or "Straight bananas" or "the EU prevents us exporting to the rest of the world"

Those and many more fill the internet and all can be put to rest with a modicum of research, that they don't suggests either the people saying them can't use Google, are too lazy to check or simply prefer not knowing so they can repeat the nonsense with impunity because it fits their agenda.

So "retort", not at all.

Question for you: Do you believe all that nonsense?