** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by mercalia »

Cours wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Canuk wrote:I would really love to be in the Brussels war room this afternoon. I can imagine the conversation...

'What will be do about this back stop then?'

'Nothing, rien, niente'.

'What about renegotiating the deal?'

'Nada, how does it BENEFIT? Let them sweat, time will out'.

'Fair enough, another truffle Mr. Barnier? '

'Don't mind if I do. Merci bien'.

hmm but what do we do about that **** woman who wont go away?

offer her a truffle and hope this time she dont come back

There wont be anything new on the table, this week or next. Or next month even. The EU27 can smell the end of Brexit. They can sense the failure in the air. All they need di now is sit back and fold their arms amd say 'Backstop? Not my problem. A deals a deal'.

Britain can knacker Brexit all on its own. Doesnt need any external impetus

until we leave without a deal and it becomes THEIR problem

Your attribution is just whats wrong with the oneside backstop some thing that broke their own rules about keeping exit and trade talks separate
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Theresa, Barnier says backstop stays. Ain't for budging on it neither. How do you feel about it, big vote coming up on Tuesday and all?
Attachments
tenor.gif
tenor.gif (560.4 KiB) Viewed 421 times
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:Your attribution is just whats wrong with the oneside backstop some thing that broke their own rules about keeping exit and trade talks separate

It's a two-way backstop which only comes into play if trade talks fail. Not sure how you can regard it as one-sided or a trade talk without some serious mental gymnastics.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Can't sing, can't dance, can't deliver Brexit. What is she good for?
Attachments
ezgif-com-video-to-gif-9.gif
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
softlips wrote:Very recently the EU made it far more difficult to research products in the EU. This cost the UK research markets a huge amount - we were one of the leaders for clinical studies. Many of the issues have been resolved but companies have moved much of their research out of the EU. A lot is done in the US now.

Please can you provide a link or source for the emboldened?

Thanks.

Yes citation or link please.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Canuk wrote:Can't sing, can't dance, can't deliver Brexit. What is she good for?

Being a modern Tory: mendacious; ideological; intransigent; unintelligent; solipsistic.

What a sad condition for the "conservative" party to have reached. They conserve nothing but their own peculiar egos, degrading, destroying and generally laying waste to all else, including our nation & society that was centuries in the building. Soon we will be an island of rude tribes and clans once more.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Canuk wrote:Can't sing, can't dance, can't deliver Brexit. What is she good for?

a comedy act?
who should she be paired with ant and dec style?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the Guardian

"Barnier reiterated in his address to the European economic and social committee, a civil society organisation, that he believed the key to getting an agreement through parliament lay in the prime minister, Theresa May, embracing a permanent customs union as backed by Labour."

Now thats a Brexit thasts not worth the trouble?

"It is understood that Downing Street’s chief Brexit adviser, Olly Robbins, has been told by EU officials that there was little point in the prime minister returning to Brussels to seek concessions on the Irish backstop.

In an interview with Le Monde, Rzeczpospolita and Luxemburger Wort published earlier on Wednesday, Barnier made public his belief that May’s strategy of trying to secure a time-limit was doomed to fail."

so thats that then?

what awaste of 2 years it has been, we should have left 2 years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/23/michel-barnier-warns-against-time-limited-irish-backstop

THe best thing to do is to cancel Brexit then solve the hitech border problem then restart it again?

"On Wednesday, Barnier and EU officials also back-peddled on their claims over the last 24 hours that a no deal Brexit would “obviously” lead to the imposition of a hard border on the island of Ireland.

“We will have to find an operational way of carrying out checks and controls without putting back in place a border”, Barnier said, in a sign of the sensitivity of the issue."

ah when the buck is passed to them they start to think of things? but they shoot down our ideas down when they think they have a veto?

pathetic
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

The EU27 have been preparing and implementing measures to mitigate against a no deal for far longer than the uk. If anyone is in a state of unpreparedness, its not the EU.

I'm 100% certain no deal preps by Ireland, backed by the EU are ready to roll out on the 29th to provide an acceptable solution. But we all know ND is just TMs last bluff. Its why the Tories are so utterly desperate to cling on to it. Last chance saloon. Its a Joker card, which is worth nowt. Nothing. Nada.

You can bring your (TM) poker face to the table, but you can't play a hand without any cards. That's the sorry state of affairs. Something has to give, and it will. Only a matter of time before either parliament, or the Tory rebels or indeed TM herself caves in.

And then what? Heaven knows.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

If there's another massive defeat next Tuesday, and no realistic chance of getting Brexit concluded at all, she could well go down as the worst PM in history. Her would be replacements are sharpening their collective knives.

I've no sympathy, she knew the ship she was sailing when she stepped aboard.
661-Pete

Re: Brexit: the gift that keeps on giving - for some!

Post by 661-Pete »

Indeed.
David Davis trousering £96,000 for part-time roles since cabinet exit

Don't you just love the use of the word "trouser" with that meaning?! It sort of implies that the money is gotten by some sort of slightly dodgy, under-the-counter, means, doesn't it? And (pace Madam Maybot) doesn't it also reinforce the male-domination of some of the political establishment?

Time for a digression - if you'll bear with me, may I don my "crossword-puzzles" hat for a moment? In one of my recent creations, I included the word TROUSERS - but with that meaning, not its more normal usage! And, to confuse solvers more, the puzzle was themed on The Sweeney, which has the famous catchline "Get yer trousers on, yer nicked!"

Something that I wish were to happen to Mr Davies et al....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tome Enders CEO of Airbus “Please don’t listen to the supporters of brexit’ madness which asserts that because we have huge plants here we will not move and we will always be here. They are wrong.”
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Here's Enders video statement in full. This is as real as Brexit gets...

https://www.airbus.com/search.video.htm ... ideo-all-1
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

This just in from a Tory MEP David Bannerman:

'Expect super Project Fear today from @Airbus. Here we have a German CEO putting EU interests first before his own employees. A disgrace. As with Galileo UK should make plans to take over these plants and sell into the global marketplace with our own planes. '

What a clown.