** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by mercalia »

quote of the days -

"It is true that May would pass a Commons test of confidence. Jacob Rees-Mogg’s hardline supporter of brexit groupuscule has said it would back her, despite orchestrating the failed putsch only a week ago. (So Rees-Mogg and friends think May is not good enough to lead their party but is still adequate enough as a prime minister for the rest of us.)"

Rafael Behr. The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/18/brexit-britain-westminster-leave-remain-may-corbyn?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xODEyMTk%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Ivan Rogers’ (Britain’s ambassador to the EU) Brexit bombshell, digested
Martha Gill

The Truth
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/18/ivan-rogers-brexit-bombshell-digested-home-truths?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xODEyMTk%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

They all need to be taken out and their backsides given a good kick? None are fit for purpose? I am sure some one some where is wrting a new hit comedy called Brexit! that will have us all in stitches in a few years time?
mjr

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote:Hello there, MJR is being very disingenuous is accusing me of linking the nasty situation with the mess that the E.U. cause.
My reference to the "Strasburg Shuffle" has nothing whatsoever to do with the terrible outrage that occurred there.
The "Strasburg Shuffle" is term to cover the monthly decampment from Brussells to Strasburg, requiring the movement of tonnes & tonnes of document, the ferrying of numerous staff, so that the French can have a share of the E>U> gravy train lolly.
So for three weeks in a sitting months business is conducted in Brussells, then for one week everyone & everything gets moved to Strasburg.
A waste of time and money.
I think an apology is due for you inappropriate slur! MM

It's easy to say that now that others have suggested it refers to the parliament holding a monthly session in Strasbourg. Personally, I'm surprised if one of the more confusing Leavers knows that much about the parliament's operations - and doubly surprised if someone knows that but doesn't know that documents are mostly electronic and few of the staff are Brussels natives so would be travelling periodically anyway for work or to go home. There are far better ways for a country to get a share of EU expenditure, such as hosting other institutions - the parliament sits in Strasbourg sometimes as a reminder of history both of the EU (it's where the Coal and Steel Community sat) and Europe in general. And as I asked, is it really a waste of time and money to avoid a "Brussels bubble" forming? Wouldn't the UK be better off if we popped "the Westminster bubble" by sending the Commons to Coventry each month?

But the bottom line is if it referred to the monthly parliamentary sessions, then what was the iceberg?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
slowster

Post by slowster »

mercalia wrote:Ivan Rogers’ (Britain’s ambassador to the EU) Brexit bombshell, digested...

The 2017 speech of Ivan Rogers linked to below is very good at explaining the events and circumstances that resulted in the Brexit referendum, including why immigration was deliberately maximised before the financial crash (something which would probably have occurred whichever political party was in power - even the Bank of England advocated it). It's long because the subject is complex, and Rogers was at the centre of these events.

https://www.politico.eu/article/ivan-rogers-david-cameron-speech-transcript-brexit-referendum/
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

merseymouth wrote:I think an apology is due for you inappropriate slur! MM
Don't know about everyone else, but I think the word "slur" has been chucked about rather too often on this forum! If someone thinks they really are victim of a "slur", they should contact the Mods.

My mantra has always been "attack the post, not the poster". I do try to keep to it. Incidentally, if I say that a comment is "prejudiced", I'm still attacking the comment - not the person who said it.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello again, So not apology from MJR for his ignorant slur on my comment! Further he goes on to reinforce the slur by calling me a ignorant Leaver, so much for his manners.
Knowledge of the excesses of E.U. waste is not the reserve of remainers, many petrol heads are fully aware of the vehicles used to run "De Gaulle's Folly Service", we do keep up with things. De Gaulle was untrustworthy during WW2, always thinking how things could be used to his personal advantage. His pique continued long after the allies liberated his place of birth.
The policy that he employed, a large slice of the cake for his chums, was mirrored by Senators in the US of A, contracts from NASA for their states.
That led to the Challenger Tragedy!
Stop maligning everyone who voted to exit from the E.U., if you acquire some manners leavers may appreciate your comments in a more neutral way.
Apply for the Manager's job at Manchester United, you are obviously sure of your own worth, £18 Million a year? TTFN MM
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:
merseymouth wrote:I think an apology is due for you inappropriate slur! MM
Don't know about everyone else, but I think the word "slur" has been chucked about rather too often on this forum! If someone thinks they really are victim of a "slur", they should contact the Mods.

My mantra has always been "attack the post, not the poster". I do try to keep to it. Incidentally, if I say that a comment is "prejudiced", I'm still attacking the comment - not the person who said it.

Do you think, the season of goodwill notwithstanding, that we could have one day between Xmas and the New Year, totally guaranteed unmoderated. :twisted:

A free for all! Let it all hang out!
Get it off everyone's chests.

Clear the stagnant overpolite air about this dreadful mess.

In the New Year then back to being polite as possible, of course.

Shall I start?
With Farage? Or Mogg? Or?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Do you think, the season of goodwill notwithstanding, that we could have one day between Xmas and the New Year, totally guaranteed unmoderated. :twisted:

Sounds like a good idea. But for the nastier stuff, the forum filter will probably chime in. [I don't expect Graham will turn it off - not even for a nanosecond...]

If anyone is stuck for a sufficiently-damning insult, despair ye not! Just google "insult generator" and have fun! :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Do you think, the season of goodwill notwithstanding, that we could have one day between Xmas and the New Year, totally guaranteed unmoderated. :twisted:

Sounds like a good idea. But for the nastier stuff, the forum filter will probably chime in. [I don't expect Graham will turn it off - not even for a nanosecond...]

If anyone is stuck for a sufficiently-damning insult, despair ye not! Just google "insult generator" and have fun! :lol:

Ah I forgot him! in my list.

Mr Brexit. The censor!
I thought he was the filter. :twisted:

Ah, I feel rather better already.
A simple remedy - but effective, or should that invective.
mjr

Post by mjr »

merseymouth wrote:Hello again, So not apology from MJR for his ignorant slur on my comment! Further he goes on to reinforce the slur by calling me a ignorant Leaver, so much for his manners.

And that's a gross lie that YOU should apologise for! I never called you ignorant, I said your posts were confusing.

I don't apologise yet because I still think it was more likely a comment about EU leaders dancing around the recent terror attack than some point about meeting venues because you have twice ignored the question: what was the hit iceberg that you mentioned in viewtopic.php?p=1304921#p1304921 ?

If anyone wants to take the high ground about manners, maybe have the decency to answer questions asked and not come out on the attack with baseless insults.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Hello again, So not apology from MJR for his ignorant slur on my comment! Further he goes on to reinforce the slur by calling me a ignorant Leaver, so much for his manners.

Where does he call you that? I didn't see it anywhere and if he was to use that expression he would have called you an ignorant leaver. The chap does know a little about correct grammar.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mjr,

it never occurred to me at least that he was referencing the Strasbourg attack. I disagree with pretty much everything merseymouth writes, but I do think you jumped to the wrong conclusion there.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:

And that's a gross lie that YOU should apologise for! I never called you ignorant, I said your posts were confusing.

Now I thought that was a typo on your part when you called him one of the more confusing leavers. Didn't you really mean to say one of the more confused leavers? :lol:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

661-Pete wrote:If anyone is stuck for a sufficiently-damning insult, despair ye not! Just google "insult generator" and have fun! :lol:

Nah. For proper insults, look to the 15th century, Poggio Bracciolini and the Italian Humanists:

You stinking billy-goat, you horned monster, you malevolent vituperator, father of lies and author of chaos… May Divine vengeance destroy you as an enemy of virtue, a parricide who tries to ruin wives and decency by mendacity, slanders, and most foul, false imputations. If you must be so scornfully arrogant, write your satires against those who debauch your wife. Vomit the putrescence of your stomach

I believe he was referring to his adversary Borisini Jansson.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:Now I thought that was a typo on your part when you called him one of the more confusing leavers. Didn't you really mean to say one of the more confused leavers? :lol:

Nope. I find MM's posts very confusing. I've no idea how confused he or she is because I struggle to decipher most of the messages, as this latest exchange maybe demonstrates.

roubaixtuesday wrote:it never occurred to me at least that he was referencing the Strasbourg attack. I disagree with pretty much everything merseymouth writes, but I do think you jumped to the wrong conclusion there.

It's possible but then what did you think the iceberg that was hit was?