** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Psamathe »

Useful pronouncements that keep coming from Ms May and then repeated by her ministers.

And we certainly had Brexit clearly explained by the Leave campaign ... or did we. Because Brexit (at the time of the referendum meant a points based immigration system. and now
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-immigration-brexit-embarrassed-as-he-admits-points-based-immigration-system-wont-a7234821.html wrote:Boris Johnson faced embarrassment as he confirmed he had abandoned his EU referendum promise to introduce points-based immigration curbs.

And I thought it was made very clear by the Leave campaign that Brexit meant an extra £350m a week for the NHS
BorisNHS.jpg
BorisNHS.jpg (23.01 KiB) Viewed 27773 times
but Brexit does not seem to mean that any more.

So how can "Brexit mean Brexit" when the meaning is (apparently) changing by the day ?

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 18 Apr 2017, 12:53pm, edited 7 times in total.
meic

Re: Brexit means Brexit

Post by meic »

The back pedalling hasnt even started yet.

I was thinking of a thread along the lines of
Brexit means Brexit which isnt.........
350 million pounds better off a week
An end to EU immigration
An Oz style points system
just about anything the average Brexit voter thought that they would get.

Brexit means Brexit and that will be a new Black Passport with UK Passport written on the front in big Imperial letters and a few other cosmetic changes that put us outside of the EU while going on just as before.

That is if it ever gets started, probably give us a year first to see if we are ready to "change our mind".
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There was a letter to the Editor about this in the Sunday Telegraph last Sunday. Somebody was complaining that they'd checked in the online version of the Oxford English Dictionary updated quarterly and found no entry for Brexit. Shock, horror! :shock:

This lacuna was ascribed to some élite clique with Remain aspirations.

What would be the point of a dictionary definition saying "Brexit means Brexit." :?:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:There was a letter to the Editor about this in the Sunday Telegraph last Sunday. Somebody was complaining that they'd checked in the online version of the Oxford English Dictionary updated quarterly and found no entry for Brexit. Shock, horror! :shock:

This lacuna was ascribed to some élite clique with Remain aspirations.

What would be the point of a dictionary definition saying "Brexit means Brexit." :?:

Good one :D
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

meic wrote:That is if it ever gets started, probably give us a year first to see if we are ready to "change our mind".

Look out for a large sow cruising at 15,000ft.......Words like 'Wishful' and 'Thinking' spring to mind.....I voted leave (no degree)
I guess you got that.....Fink/Fort/Funk....... :wink:
meic

Post by meic »

Time will tell, personally I reckon that you are the one with the wishful thinking, in believing that any vote will ever be allowed to make any difference to the ways of the world.
If I was to engage in any wishful thinking, it would be for exactly that, that the peoples' vote actually would make any substantial difference but I am far too cynical to expect any such thing.

There may well be Brexit but it will be a cosmetic one, that is why they are giving time for the pressure to die down while slowly dripping a long stream of "not quite what you thought Brexit was's".
Yma o Hyd
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

meic wrote:Time will tell, personally I reckon that you are the one with the wishful thinking, in believing that any vote will ever be allowed to make any difference to the ways of the world.
If I was to engage in any wishful thinking, it would be for exactly that, that the peoples' vote actually would make any substantial difference but I am far too cynical to expect any such thing.

There may well be Brexit but it will be a cosmetic one, that is why they are giving time for the pressure to die down while slowly dripping a long stream of "not quite what you thought Brexit was's".

I think that's a spot on analysis. That's where all this 'we won't discuss or disclose Brexit plans' is coming from. I doubt Article 50 will be triggered before next summer, by which time it'll be such a forgotten piece of history that no one will be at all surprised, nor bothered that's it's just a 'make over' piece of legislation and that absolutely nothing has changed at all (still in the free trade union, free movement of people and financial services, no realistic hope of control over immigration).
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Wow! Spannergeek and Meic you have it spot on! Hat(s) off.

The Top Table feeding must go on. EU governmental bodies want their slice o cake: yum yum. Salaries,pensions,benefits,security. But our lads over here in Westminster,they want their bit. Hold on!Big Biz want's their bit(even tho their salaries have risen by what percent this year?!) Someone's gotta pay! Ipso facto it has to be the plebs. How far can they push the plebs? Well,look at the shopping-trolley and tent-city-crowd in America. Plenty o room yet. And the good news is Food Banks is keeping 'em quiet. And then we have some feel good factors: the circus,Olympic games. TV and sports: keeps 'em quiet now that the mugs have stopped going to church and believin the guff.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

One of my relations works in a Manchester food bank. From what she tells me they arent quite what you might imagine reading the Guardian. This programme seems to analyse the situation pretty much in line with what she says is going on. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07krdvv

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I voted LEAVE. But I am now seeing things different.

I watched the TdF. The Giro. Recently the Veulta. Then I watched the Tour of Britain!

All the Continental Tours finished with the victors being kissed by 6' babes with xtra long legs (and all the other trimmings... I know I've spoken wrong here :? ) On the GB Tour I saw the winner being handed something or other by an Eric Pickles lookalike! No way fellas. As an ordinary bloke(in the minority these days,I think)I don't expect to ride 180ks up mountain and down dale to met with Eric Pickles. I know things have changed these days,but this is going too far. If OUT means having to settle with PC correctness and Eric Pickles I want a second referendum. I demand a recount.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Thank you alyrpal. Listened to the link. I don't know what the Guardian said about Food Banks. I guess Laurie Taylor had to spell out to listeners what is going on,but anyone with any nouse would understand the present Food Banks must act as a deterrent and punishment to any claim from those disadvantaged. The humiliation and shame that all applicants must have on application must be tremendous: all it needs is the Black Triangle on the sleeve to complete the job!

I must say I have always admired the British in their duplicity. Torture and culling: we're not so's uncouth as some of our foreign-johnny rivals. Hooded and stress position torture? A1. A move on up from rubber truncheons and roastings. Isolation,hearing and sensory deprivation or their opposites? Done with practising medics. And no marks!

The best practice is that government grants(money)is given to the charities that now run the outsourced social services 'support systems'. A double win,if you like. The government side-steps responsibility whilst the private companies make the dosh. If the charities speak up against what is being imposed and driven by the government,they get their fundings cut. Winners all round(well,not for the disadvantaged obviously) Himmler couldn't have dun better!
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

Brexit means *#'****@*...

No control over immigration, no real influence in international markets, no change at all.. really.

What was it all about I ask you? Smoke and mirrors, mostly...
PH

Post by PH »

al_yrpal wrote:One of my relations works in a Manchester food bank. From what she tells me they arent quite what you might imagine reading the Guardian. This programme seems to analyse the situation pretty much in line with what she says is going on. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07krdvv
Al

I don't know what you imagined from reading the Guardian, Laurie Taylor's usual thought provoking program (Rightly called Thinking Aloud) put some detail on what I already knew the situation to be,though I'm not much of a Guardian reader. It's all about people in crisis and there seemed plenty of evidence throughout the article that more people were in crisis and many of them there as a result of recent Government policy.
The quote that stood out for me was from the second expert (These are the sort of people Gove dismissed) that "We're moving back to a pre 1930 situation, where the Government has abdicated some of that responsibility - the safety net is much weaker"
We're told the first lot of evidence comes from a larger study on Health Inequality, carried out in Stockton, I'll look out for that. This expert made the point several times that what people in crisis need is more support rather than judgment, something some of the people here might take on board.

A little away from the subject of food banks was the statistic that male life expectancy on Stockton was 17.3 years different between most and least affluent areas. Laurie was taken aback enough to get her to confirm it, 17.3 years for men 11.4 for women. At the risk of being called a Britain Hater there is something seriously wrong with a society that considers that acceptable.
PH

Post by PH »

meic wrote:There may well be Brexit but it will be a cosmetic one, that is why they are giving time for the pressure to die down while slowly dripping a long stream of "not quite what you thought Brexit was's".

Yes, but we're going to take back control.
Though I don't know who the "we" are and I'm pretty sure the control will stay with those who've always had it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

17.3 years. I wish had spelled out what that means? My dad died at 83, standard for men of reasonable income? does that mean the Stockton is 17.3 less than that? 65? that would be shocking? or are the rich going into the 95+?