** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Oldjohnw »

Just read June Mummery Brexit Party MEP tweet in which she is complaining that the UK will no longer be represented in the European Parliament.

Where has she been?
John
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:...they need us more than we need them...

Al

You've got real talent there Al, you should try stand up.

This is the Tesco theory

Tesco needs us more than we need Tesco

On those grounds, try negotiating a deal on your shopping

An excellent illustration of the naivety and stupidity of the “ they need us more than we need them” claims
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Does anyone really think the EU needs these louts?

https://twitter.com/wordamentalist/stat ... 9621025793
Have we got time for another cuppa?
RickH

Post by RickH »

In a wonderful bit of irony, I've been told that the Express used a parody version of the new blue passports to celebrate that we'll have them back this year.

It is the one someone did when it was announced they would be being printed in France & use the Monty Python quotes "your mother was a hamster" & "your father smelled of elderberries" instead of the usual text on the crest. :D

Edit to add a link.
https://www.thenational.scot/news/18182 ... -passport/
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Farage's last Words before he is cut off ( he should have been cut off years ago?)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-51294356/brexit-nigel-farage-s-last-words-to-the-eu-parliament

( i hope it makes it to You Tube so I can get a copy for posterity)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Cunobelin wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:...they need us more than we need them...

Al

You've got real talent there Al, you should try stand up.

This is the Tesco theory

Tesco needs us more than we need Tesco

On those grounds, try negotiating a deal on your shopping

An excellent illustration of the naivety and stupidity of the “ they need us more than we need them” claims

With Tesco you are a single person buying a trolleyful of goods worth perhaps £100 against a gargantuan organisation with a turnover of billions. You have no leverage at all. With the EU you are a country with an economy the size of 1/3 of its members that exports to you Billions more than you export to it. How is that any sort of realistic comparison? I do hope you are not making any decisions in your workplace?

Its quite clear where the naivity and stupidity actually lies...

Sorry, your absurd comparison is ludicrous :lol:

This marks the beginning of the end of the EU as we know it. Lots of people in many EU countries with the same misgivings as us are uttering disatisfaction similar to that clearly demonstrated here in Britain.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote:With Tesco you are a single person buying a trolleyful of goods worth perhaps £100 against a gargantuan organisation with a turnover of billions. You have no leverage at all. With the EU you are a country with an economy the size of 1/3 of its members that exports to you Billions more than you export to it. How is that any sort of realistic comparison? I do hope you are not making any decisions in your workplace?

As ever, it all depends how you measure it:
UK despatches to EU: £242 billion or 13% of our economy;
EU despatches to UK: £302 billion or 3% of their economy.

So while the absolute value means crudely that we buy more than we sell, the percentages mean our economy is much more dependent on them than they are on us. In other words: we're clearly going to feel the pain much more acutely if it stops overnight! So if you don't realise that, then I hope you weren't trusted to negotiate anything important either!

Its quite clear where the naivity and stupidity actually lies...

Sorry, your absurd comparison is ludicrous :lol:

This marks the beginning of the end of the EU as we know it. Lots of people in many EU countries with the same misgivings as us are uttering disatisfaction similar to that clearly demonstrated here in Britain.

Yes, it's quite clear where the naivity and stupidity actually lies! Anti-EU sentiment has fallen since our massive act of self-harm, with even some xenophobic parties switching to calling for reform instead of exit.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I saw one Tory MP was throwing a Brexit party and had banned French and German wines.

Kind of shows that Brexit was not about sovereignty or taking back control or making our own laws (reminds me: we are still waiting to hear which laws we don't make) but rather about xenophobia and even downright dislike of Jonny Foreigner.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

we're clearly going to feel the pain much more acutely if it stops overnight! So if you don't realise that, then I hope you weren't trusted to negotiate anything important either!

Trade stops overnight! :lol: Great joke which would fit in neatly with Project Fear, but that failed miserably. Most people thought it was absurd and voted accordingly Theres too much to lose for both parties. Faith nerve and determination are whats needed now.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, As we are now "Officially" a Small Country in the eyes of Varadkar, how we react if the E.U. starts to bully us may change his view?
If Boris decides to block the progress of goods that the Irish choose to conduit through the UK, then they may have a bit of a problem until they get the process of routing goods to Irish ports direct? Even DeValera had trouble with that during "The Emergency"!
As we speak the sores are being reopened over the Independence Question! Lot of Bloody Anniversaries being flagged up in the Irish Press.
I want peace, let's hope Varadkar wants that as well, fingers crossed. IGICB MM
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Was speaking to a keen Brexiter on Monday. He said it doesn't matter if all the foreign owned car companies in the UK shutdown because all the profits they make are going abroad anyway. :roll:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, As we are now "Officially" a Small Country in the eyes of Varadkar, how we react if the E.U. starts to bully us may change his view?
If Boris decides to block the progress of goods that the Irish choose to conduit through the UK, then they may have a bit of a problem until they get the process of routing goods to Irish ports direct? Even DeValera had trouble with that during "The Emergency"!
As we speak the sores are being reopened over the Independence Question! Lot of Bloody Anniversaries being flagged up in the Irish Press.
I want peace, let's hope Varadkar wants that as well, fingers crossed. IGICB MM

I can very well imagine Johnson doing that. It fits in with his petty little nature.
The EU would retaliate of course in which case it'd hardly be bullying,
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The morning after the vote I was surprised at the attitude of the EU against us leaving.
Cutting off a British MEP mid sentence is the last bullying act and very typical of what that lot think of us.
They even moaned at the small flags :roll:

No doubt the bullying will carry on for the rest of the year, but I for one feel I can take it, there is an end in sight for sure.
And yes I know that the EU will continue to make laws this year which we will have no control over.
But if this is the case which it is, then why would we pay them for another year.
We can understand now how some of the smaller less financially well off countries feel the pressure from the EU.

Even today I imagine there are people who think the decision can be reversed.
They think it's all over it is now.

We joined the common market, we are leaving the E Union.
Hit me with everything you've got :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pete75 wrote:Was speaking to a keen Brexiter on Monday. He said it doesn't matter if all the foreign owned car companies in the UK shutdown because all the profits they make are going abroad anyway. :roll:

Oh dear. I hope his family don't have jobs in the motor industry.
John