** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:No they'r enot professionals.
Who said being a professional was a badge of honesty in every case. I certainly didn't. What i said was that your claim that professional people are like drug dealers is wrong.

And my point was that professionals can get upto illegal practices which cause distress and death just like drug dealers
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

Debs wrote:The interesting thing is want happens after this Piffle subterfuge-deal is defeated.

The common consent is that he goes into an election with a deal on the table blocked by recalcitrant MPs and wins handsomely. Genius, really.

The public will be forgiven for ignoring the fact that it will be DUP and Tory MPs who will have also blocked the deal and the blame will fall on Labour and the Lib Dems - and Anna Soubry of course.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Mick F wrote:
mercalia wrote: ..........quite perplexing that those convinced about Brexit still hold to their views. They must be getting their info from certain sources only, which are poo-pooing the facts that the last 3 years have thrown up?
I don't agree in the slightest, and you know I don't.

I have held my views for well over 50years.
"Facts" aren't going to change this view of mine.

+1
It won't change, it won't change those who vote with the gut, It won't change those who don't with gut On both sides.

The 'gut' is a very unreliable source on which to judge a country's future.
To think otherwise is pure folly.
Would it not be better to examine the facts espoused by neutral experts in their field?
Which isn't an exact science granted but far more exacting than the 'gut'.
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 Oct 2019, 1:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Raab and others have said
"cracking deal” for Northern Ireland because it will keep “frictionless access to the single market”

So supporters of brexit why can’t the rest of us have that?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Are you accusing Mick of Xenophobia?
Sounds like it.
At least you're not alone Mick according to 661pete.
You need to clarify that remark.

Clarity is not his strong point.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:
mercalia wrote: ..........quite perplexing that those convinced about Brexit still hold to their views. They must be getting their info from certain sources only, which are poo-pooing the facts that the last 3 years have thrown up?
I don't agree in the slightest, and you know I don't.

I have held my views for well over 50years.
"Facts" aren't going to change this view of mine.

I'm proud when I have not held my views for an extended period. Facts change, situations change, everybody learns more, listens to differing opinion so one's own opinion changes (not always radically, but changes).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Mick F wrote:Are you virtuous?
Are you always right?

Do you have opinions that aren't inline with other people's opinions?
Are other people's opinions always wrong?

Are rhetorical questions a helpful way to debate?

On the other hand, is suggesting that 63% of voters, (that's the ones that could vote but couldn't be bothered included) Did not vote to leave, so a minority Voting leave is somehow wrong, those who don't vote don't get a say.
You can't guess that group would vote one way or the other.
I could suggest the older members of that group can't be bothered partly because they are retired and sitting pretty, but I remember in my youth I didn't vote, so take your choice.

I think the group that did not vote in the referendum is a difficult aspect to consider. They were presented with the choice "business as usual" vs "land of milk and honey" so if they didn't have strong opinions between those two choices they didn't bother to vote. But now the Leave choice has become something very different (e.g. costs in lost growth, etc. way outweighing the £350m a week (lie)) so with that choice it's possible the non-voters might have chosen to vote.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi.
661-Pete wrote:Back to topic: so now it's the DUP once again sticking their oar in.
"It ain't over till the *** lady sings" eh? At the moment she ain't singing. :roll:

It's going to be tight tomorrow morning.
And there will be plenty of money changing hands to on the outcome.

I've been busy this morning; how many £bn are the DUP getting to buy their votes this time?

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Debs wrote:Just my figuring but i'm expected this new and very stinky Piffle deal to convincingly loose the vote tomorrow.

Paradoxically a significant number of the fascist ERGs will probably vote against it simply because they're gunning for a blindfold kamikaze no-deal crash and burn Brexit. Piffle is probably expecting, wanting and quite on board with this too.

The interesting thing is want happens after this Piffle subterfuge-deal is defeated.

Much as I dislike him [Piffle], he has managed to create a win-win situation for himself. If (a few) Labour MPs let his deal pass then he can go into the General Election having rescued the deal and avoided No Deal and done what he promised; whereas if his deal is rejected then he can go into the General Election with his "they stopped me, People vs Parliament" campaign (a Trumpton winner).

Ian
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Debs wrote:On the subject of dodgy professionals, Dentists are up there with the worst,
anyone remember the corrupted NHS drill & fill crimes of the 60s and 70s.
The dental abuse they willingly inflicted for monetary reward was a shocking violation of their hippocratic oath.

https://youtu.be/YoWom0CCRKM

Being "a professional" often brings a bit of power, in the form of an authority on certain matters. As we know, power can corrupt.

But only absolute power tends to corrupt absolutely. Many professionals are subject to ethical standards imposed by their trade union (although they prefer the petit-bourgeois descriptors such as The British Medical Association or The Law Society). Such ethics, as well as an often professional tradition to do good (or no harm, at least) mean that not all professionals are naughty. In fact, the majority I've encountered of the more traditional ilk have been very honest. (Some are inept, mind).

Sadly, the professional trade unions have a bit more power still than their members so they too can be corrupt. Many naughty goings-on are swept under the carpet or otherwise forgiven by "the professionals" trade unions. Consider those higher echelons of various organised religions, who can be very hypocritical concerning the one rule for "you" and a different rule for "us".

Other "professionals" have no such ethical bodies of any meaningful kind. The City is full of "professionals" who are very good at insider trading, asset-stripping, tax-dodging and all the rest.

Others place a "professional" badge on their little chests despite being cowboys of no expertise other than ripping-off the gullible. No ethics of any kind apply here. In fact, even the law seems irrelevant to the cowboy. "Financial Advisor". Ha! Psychoanalyst. Made-up stuff of great cost and no utility at all.

Sadly, all humans have devils as well as angels advising them as to how to behave. Even you! Even me!! I try to exorcise mine regularly but they're still lurking, I know. Some seem to have gone orf to live in that London, where they are always welcome.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
PDQ Mobile wrote:It's a cop out Mick.
You are really contradicting yourself.
We need passports already.
The UK is not in the Schengen area.

You are happy with the "rest of the World having free movment it just should be restricted a bit"

Restricted by whom? And on whose say so?
Resticted to which groups?

To rich speculators perhaps?
Or rich Arabs?
Or military people?
Or just " professional" people.
But nobody poor or unwashed?

I say to you the "professionals" are just as likely, maybe more likely, to be criminals and shysters.

at the moment under EU rules anyone can come into any EU country as long as they say they are looking for work, on that basis you can't be told to leave.
Do the remainers want that to continue ?
The UK is bursting at the seams, who is going to look after you in your old age?
Even foreigners who have settled in this country do you not want more people in the country.

I see the Romanian president wants all his people to come home, the media even interviewed Romanians saying they are going home.
If you were Romanian which country would you like to work in/live in, It's not rocket science.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: at the moment under EU rules anyone can come into any EU country as long as they say they are looking for work, on that basis you can't be told to leave.
Do the remainers want that to continue ?
The UK is bursting at the seams, who is going to look after you in your old age?

Is this a spoof?

Social care is dependent on Eu and other immigration.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/latest-press/a ... in-the-uk/
Debs

Post by Debs »

Another massive march demanding a final say on Brexit is set to take place tomorrow at the same time as MPs meet for the parliamentary piffle vote session.

The presence of the marchers and the show of strength will be a huge reflection of project reality.

Wish i could be with them but 200+ mile away is a bit far for me. Anyone here going? :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
661-Pete wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Are you accusing Mick of Xenophobia?
Sounds like it.
At least you're not alone Mick according to 661pete.
You need to clarify that remark.

I have edited my post above for clarity, my bad.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Cugel wrote:
Debs wrote:On the subject of dodgy professionals, Dentists are up there with the worst,
anyone remember the corrupted NHS drill & fill crimes of the 60s and 70s.
The dental abuse they willingly inflicted for monetary reward was a shocking violation of their hippocratic oath.

https://youtu.be/YoWom0CCRKM

Being "a professional" often brings a bit of power, in the form of an authority on certain matters. As we know, power can corrupt.

But only absolute power tends to corrupt absolutely. Many professionals are subject to ethical standards imposed by their trade union (although they prefer the petit-bourgeois descriptors such as The British Medical Association or The Law Society). Such ethics, as well as an often professional tradition to do good (or no harm, at least) mean that not all professionals are naughty. In fact, the majority I've encountered of the more traditional ilk have been very honest. (Some are inept, mind).

Sadly, the professional trade unions have a bit more power still than their members so they too can be corrupt. Many naughty goings-on are swept under the carpet or otherwise forgiven by "the professionals" trade unions. Consider those higher echelons of various organised religions, who can be very hypocritical concerning the one rule for "you" and a different rule for "us".

Other "professionals" have no such ethical bodies of any meaningful kind. The City is full of "professionals" who are very good at insider trading, asset-stripping, tax-dodging and all the rest.

Others place a "professional" badge on their little chests despite being cowboys of no expertise other than ripping-off the gullible. No ethics of any kind apply here. In fact, even the law seems irrelevant to the cowboy. "Financial Advisor". Ha! Psychoanalyst. Made-up stuff of great cost and no utility at all.

Sadly, all humans have devils as well as angels advising them as to how to behave. Even you! Even me!! I try to exorcise mine regularly but they're still lurking, I know. Some seem to have gone orf to live in that London, where they are always welcome.

Cugel

Yes i really am aware of the above so you'll find no disagreement here! :)

However please allow my little rant about rogue dentists from the historical torture terror years of drill & fill ya boots, i speak from experience over a mouth full of criminal evidence your honour... and besides, my present Bulgarian dentist is very caring and and very expert in dental maintenance, i just hope his Eastern European status isn't going to be an issue if little Britain is subject to a chronic new world order next month! :|