** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:an interesting article why some parts of the country voted for Brexit and were JUSTIFIED in doing so: they are not crazies who dont have 2 brain cells to rub together

"Some Bostonians will remember a time when farmers employed locally born people as seasonal workers and say, “We did it then, and when this lot go we can do it again.” But that misunderstands the nature of modern agriculture and the transformation of farms into the domestic equivalent of the colonial plantation, demanding a constantly available supply of labour prepared to work long, physically taxing shifts in bad weather, and therefore usually recruited via gangmasters and their scouts from poorer and more vulnerable populations elsewhere.......

Migration accounts for Boston’s swollen population, its high rents and house prices relative to other parts of Lincolnshire, and, for a time, it led to overcrowded doctors’ surgeries and schools. Post-referendum, it seems surprising that governments cared so little about these effects. "

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/16/trip-london-lincolnshire-brexit-divide?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZW5kLTE5MDIxNg%3D%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

Hmmm you don't know anything about Boston do you? I live not far way away and know the town quite well. House prices in Boston are lower than many other parts of Lincolnshire for a start. Here's a some examples . The first is for a two bed terraced house in Bourne a fairly nondescript little town about 20 miles from Boston - £125,000 the second for a similar property in Boston £75,000. The third for a similar property in Sleaford another ordinary little town about 16 miles from Boston £114,000

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-fo ... 37529.html
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-fo ... 01509.html
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-fo ... 49941.html

The wages on the land are not as low as the author of the article seems to think - on piece work some people earn £100-£150 a day. There aren't enough local people to work on the land - about 900 unemployed in the Boston area and apparently about 10,000 migrants working. If those unemployed had wanted to work on the land or in packing sheds they'd already have done so as plenty of jobs available.

What he's also failed to mention is that if any town in the UK needs an influx of new blood to widen the gene pool it's Boston.

There's been a lot written about Boston in the press. I remember one article by Peter Hitchens where he claimed he walked a mile across the town and didn't hear anyone speaking English. The truth is most likely that a London ponce like him would think the local dialect a foreign language.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:an interesting article why some parts of the country voted for Brexit and were JUSTIFIED in doing so: they are not crazies who dont have 2 brain cells to rub together

"Some Bostonians will remember a time when farmers employed locally born people as seasonal workers and say, “We did it then, and when this lot go we can do it again.” But that misunderstands the nature of modern agriculture and the transformation of farms into the domestic equivalent of the colonial plantation, demanding a constantly available supply of labour prepared to work long, physically taxing shifts in bad weather, and therefore usually recruited via gangmasters and their scouts from poorer and more vulnerable populations elsewhere.......

Migration accounts for Boston’s swollen population, its high rents and house prices relative to other parts of Lincolnshire, and, for a time, it led to overcrowded doctors’ surgeries and schools. Post-referendum, it seems surprising that governments cared so little about these effects. "

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/16/trip-london-lincolnshire-brexit-divide?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZW5kLTE5MDIxNg%3D%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

Hmmm you don't know anything about Boston do you? I live not far way away and know the town quite well. House prices in Boston are lower than many other parts of Lincolnshire for a start. Here's a some examples . The first is for a two bed terraced house in Bourne a fairly nondescript little town about 20 miles from Boston - £125,000 the second for a similar property in Boston £75,000. The third for a similar property in Sleaford another ordinary little town about 16 miles from Boston £114,000

The wages on the land are not as low as the author of the article seems to think - on piece work some people earn £100-£150 a day. There aren't enough local people to work on the land - about 900 unemployed in the Boston area and apparently about 10,000 migrants working. If those unemployed had wanted to work on the land or in packing sheds they'd already have done so as plenty of jobs available.

What he's also failed to mention is that if any town in the UK needs an influx of new blood to widen the gene pool it's Boston.

There's been a lot written about Boston in the press. I remember one article by Peter Hitchens where he claimed he walked a mile across the town and didn't hear anyone speaking English. The truth is most likely that a London ponce like him would think the local dialect a foreign language.

why take me to task for quoting an article - take the author not me
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:

You quoted it so that assumes you stand by what it says.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:

thats a very big assumption. I dont know one way or the other but it was interesting as I said, as we kept on being told ( here ) that supporters of brexit are stupid ignorant people who have been taken in by lies and fanatasies
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Honda's going to close Swindon it seems.
It's a biggy.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Honda's going to close Swindon it seems.
It's a biggy.

Fake news, folk are falling over themselves to invest in us.

I remember Swindon being held up by brexitears as an example of how Project Fear was nonsense because Honda had said they were going to invest in it (and Nissan etc etc).

Mind you this was before the brexitears decided that rather than us doing better outside the EU we'd do worse (but it'd be worth it to get control back).
Shame the internet means all their promises and boasts are with us for posterity - they do make for amusing reading.

But they knew what they were voting for and presumably knew they'd be claiming they'd voted for something different a bit further down the line too.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

kwackers wrote:
It's a biggy.

Fake news, folk are falling over themselves to invest in us.

Thank goodness for that, I thought it was true. :shock:
I am so gullible and foolish and get taken in by lies and fantasies.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pete75 wrote:

The biggest irony is that the inflated house prices, foreigners living in and owning much of the housing stick, and all the other “wrongs” are mirrored in the South of Spain and caused by the large British ghettos of “Ex-Pats”
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

One should ask: "Who invented the various nations and why"? After all, they are hardly natural phenomena or arrangements required of some god.

The various answers are revealing albeit long and, being of the type known as "history" difficult to have confidence in. After all, who wrote those histories? Churchill for one, boasting that "History will treat me kindly as I intend to write it"; which he did.

Anyroadup, it turns out that a nation is a semi-legal construct arranged by various ruling classes for their own dark purposes, often to gather cannon fodder and the means to pay for lots of armaments. All that "patriotism" stuff of the Jingo sort is, of course, nothing more than a rousing of the various rabbles into various mobs, hopefully excited enough to sign up as the aforementioned cannon fodder.

So, putting all that nationality stuff to the side, we might ask: what is wrong with humans preferring to live and work in one place rather than another? The answers are rarely honest, I find.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

thats a very big assumption. I dont know one way or the other but it was interesting as I said, as we kept on being told ( here ) that supporters of brexit are stupid ignorant people who have been taken in by lies and fanatasies

Well it would seem that anyone who thinks house prices in Boston are a lot higher than other parts of Lincolnshire has been taken in by lies and fantasies.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

It's a biggy.

Firstly, it was predicted some time ago, that the Japanese auto manufacturers (Nissan, Honda, Toyota) invested in the UK in the first instance was because we were members of the EU, now we will not be - the incompetent handling of our exit and the threat of no deal has exacerbated the situation for the largely risk averse Japanese.

Secondly car plants have an optimum level of operating efficiency and losing models (i.e the X-Trail from Sunderland) mean the efficiency of that plant is now undermined and losing another model might mean closure.

The Oxford Mini plant is a slightly different case in that much of the exported production goes to the USA, BUT components are sourced Europe-wide and with no deal that undermines the lean production process and therefore assembly delays.

I would not be surprised to hear JLR shedding more jobs in the UK as time passes, they already assemble outside the UK, the Defender replacement will not be assembled here...I can hear the tap-tap of the nails going into the UK automotive coffin.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

mercalia wrote:thats a very big assumption.

I don't think it is an unfair assumption, I doubt you know Boston. And yes there is a large immigrant population (there has been for some time), but Boston has many attractions - like the recently refurbished town centre...stunning - if it was in London many would have a different attitude !

John.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Hobbs1951 wrote:
mercalia wrote:thats a very big assumption.

I don't think it is an unfair assumption, I doubt you know Boston. And yes there is a large immigrant population (there has been for some time), […]

Where "some time" is at least 900 years because it's a Hanseatic port like King's Lynn, although what survived is rather different in the two towns AFAICT. It's odd that only now people are getting whipped into a frenzy of hatred and attempt to drive out the visitors instead of harness them when most previous attempts failed.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

mjr wrote:Where "some time" is at least 900 years because it's a Hanseatic port like King's Lynn...

A pedantic distraction, I was merely commenting on the poster's which contextually refers to more recent migrants from the EU (notably Poland).

J.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
It's a biggy.

And they say that’s because they want to concentrate on electric cars, they said nothing to do with Brexit.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.