** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:......
Clearly illustrating that many dont understand what democracy means. Basically the Remainers world is just like the EU, undemocratic.

Al

You keep calling the EU “undemocratic” but have you really never heard of the regular elections we have to elect our representatives? Held every 5 years. As you seem to have completely missed and not heard of these democratic elections, it does make me question your understanding on the EU.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

661-Pete wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Clearly illustrating that many dont understand what democracy means. Basically the Remainers world is just like the EU, undemocratic.
"Democracy" comes from two Greek words: δημος="people" and κρατία="rule". That's just what Remainers and others on the People's Vote march are asking for: let the people decide. Got it?

I think some of those who voted Leave are only seeking we leave the EU whatever the cost, regardless of the impact. But many of thosecwho voted Leave were seeking specific changes e.g. ending immigration, £350m a week for the NHS, etc. and now it seems they are not going to get what was promised snd that they will be bearing the economic cost they should be given the option to confirm the actual deal really is what they were wanting. It is the big difference between ehat Leave was offering and is now delivering that needs the electorate to speak.

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I think these diehard and opinionated Brexiters are like Humpty Dumpty (in Through the Looking Glass):
Lewis Carroll wrote:"When I use a word, Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more or less"
So it is with Brexiters' use of the word "democracy"... :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Still one side managed to put a good half a million folks law-abidingly onto the street
And the other side just 1200.

Farage not much of a draw it would seem!
mjr

Post by mjr »

al_yrpal wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
If the Gov. really doesn't listen, the big fear is rioting in the streets - or even civil war...

Clearly illustrating that many dont understand what democracy means. Basically the Remainers world is just like the EU, undemocratic.

The EU is democratic.

Ignoring 48% of voters is divisive and undemocratic.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Still one side managed to put a good half a million folks law-abidingly onto the street
And the other side just 1200.

Farage not much of a draw it would seem!

Some balloon on the TV this morning representing 'leave' was giving it the solid brexit argument "leave means leave" - which so far seems to be the sum total of their arguments.
He did happen to mention though that a 'chum' of his who was a lorry driver had said "give the word and I'll bring London to a stop". #

Now I'm no transport expert but I'm pretty sure one lorry couldn't bring London to a stop. :lol:
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

kwackers wrote:He did happen to mention though that a 'chum' of his who was a lorry driver had said "give the word and I'll bring London to a stop". #

Now I'm no transport expert but I'm pretty sure one lorry couldn't bring London to a stop. :lol:

Large parts of London are often brought to a standstill by one incident - so how would we know about the politically motivated incident? I mean, the driver could pretend it's an unfortunate breakdown, and it would be forgotten among all the others, Or he could park the lorry across a junction and stand on top of the cab, waving a Leave poster. But he's likely to be charged under anti-terror legislation.

I can't see what that would achieve for the Leave camp.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

It is my "country bumpkin" understanding that large parts of London are ALWAYS at a standstill! :wink:
Probably underinvestment in public transport is to blame.
Still the bike always gets through somehow!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

bovlomov wrote:I can't see what that would achieve for the Leave camp.

You probably had to be there.

For me it was the implied threat of thousands of lorry drivers descending on the capital and bringing it to a standstill. Apparently "real anger" is simmering and ready to blow in your average leaver.
He poo poo'd this afternoons march and mentioned that leavers hold rally's all the time (I saw one once, had it not been for the banner and a couple of policemen I'd have thought it was a stag do pub crawl).

The leavers I know are either too decrepit, don't really care or wouldn't come if it clashed with opening times at the local, preferring instead to get involved in some bar-room-bluster.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

PDQ Mobile wrote:It is my "country bumpkin" understanding that large parts of London are ALWAYS at a standstill! :wink:
Probably underinvestment in public transport is to blame.
Still the bike always gets through somehow!

You yokels are prone to exaggeration. Apart from during these specific 'incidents', the London traffic is far from being at a standstill. It often moves at a dizzy pace - sometimes as high as 3mph. And the billionaires flit about in helicopters over our heads.

Bikes usually get through, but motorists like to employ the unannounced manoeuvre to take a few out.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

bovlomov wrote:I mean, the driver could pretend it's an unfortunate breakdown, and it would be forgotten among all the others, Or he could park the lorry across a junction and stand on top of the cab, waving a Leave poster.
Or he could pack his lorry with explosives and become a suicide bomber. After all, such things have happened - in the UK and elsewhere. :evil:
But he's likely to be charged under anti-terror legislation.
Unless he's dead, that is... :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

kwackers wrote:
bovlomov wrote:I can't see what that would achieve for the Leave camp.

You probably had to be there.

For me it was the implied threat of thousands of lorry drivers descending on the capital and bringing it to a standstill. Apparently "real anger" is simmering and ready to blow in your average leaver.

I don't know many lorry drivers, but I imagine that most are worried about customs checks at Dover, and the loss of business. Haulage should be the most remainy sector of all.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

bovlomov wrote:You yokels are prone to exaggeration. Apart from during these specific 'incidents', the London traffic is far from being at a standstill. It often moves at a dizzy pace - sometimes as high as 3mph. And the billionaires flit about in helicopters over our heads.

Bikes usually get through, but motorists like to employ the unannounced manoeuvre to take a few out.
And what's more, from my experience the Tube trains usually manage a tad over 3mph. Why - on our last trip to London we managed Victoria to Leicester Square in only a matter of minutes...

And we didn't even need to stop at Mornington Crescent... :lol:
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

661-Pete wrote:
But he's likely to be charged under anti-terror legislation.
Unless he's dead, that is... :evil:

Some people have described Leave as a death cult.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

bovlomov wrote:Some people have described Leave as a death cult.

Near death cult.

http://newsthump.com/2018/10/18/brexit-transition-period-to-be-extended-until-all-leave-voters-have-died/