** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Lance Dopestrong

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I think it's time to either move abroad or retreat to our bunkers. Whatever happens, whichever party, any of the candidates, whoever becomes PM and we're going to suffer. May has been an appalling PM, but when we get what's coming we may look back rather fondly upon her reign of ineffective mediocrity.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I think it's time to either move abroad or retreat to our bunkers. Whatever happens, whichever party, any of the candidates, whoever becomes PM and we're going to suffer. May has been an appalling PM, but when we get what's coming we may look back rather fondly upon her reign of ineffective mediocrity.

I dont agree with your assessment of Mrs May but agree whats to follow. Cameron with with his sidekick, Osborne was an appalling PM yes visiting on the poor and weak hardship. Yes the current 500 or so MPs who voted for Article 50 is an appalling Parliament - they are still there after she has gone, do you think any thing will change? her deal wasnt a bad Brexit deal but had the inevitable achilles heal of the backstop that breaks the GFA, but is there soley to protect the EUs dogmas of the single market. Mrs May has become a scapegoat for those 500 miserably incompetent MPs who are still there, including the clown Bojo, the traitorous Gove who stabbed BoJo inthe back, Sajid Javid who removed the uK nationality from Shamima Begum, leaving her child to die dumping responsibility on a country she has no practical connection with. These are just a few. Will anything change? I doubt it. They will still be there after May has gone ( I bet she mumbles good riddance to them all as she leaves no.10)

and these people say it all

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politi ... stion-time
mjr

Post by mjr »

Who's funding Farage? His €100k MEP salary isn't enough for his lavish elite lifestyle, apparently. Banks is the immediate paymaster, but where's he getting the cash?
https://www.channel4.com/news/nigel-far ... s-revealed
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
horizon

Post by horizon »

While we're on politics, does anyone know why MPs are called "colleagues"?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

horizon wrote:While we're on politics, does anyone know why MPs are called "colleagues"?
Seems to be a trend. In the supermarket, when they put out a tannoy call for staff, it's always "Colleague announcement", not "Staff announcement". And train passengers are always "customers" now rather than "passengers".

Is this yet another infection of our language from "across the pond"?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:Who's funding Farage? His €100k MEP salary isn't enough for his lavish elite lifestyle, apparently. Banks is the immediate paymaster, but where's he getting the cash?

more

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... GTUK_email

During this period, as well as his MEP’s salary of nearly €9,000 a month, and an extra €30,000 a month declared in media appearances, Farage complained in an interview that he was “53, separated and skint” and that “there’s no money in politics”.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:I think it's time to either move abroad or retreat to our bunkers. Whatever happens, whichever party, any of the candidates, whoever becomes PM and we're going to suffer. May has been an appalling PM, but when we get what's coming we may look back rather fondly upon her reign of ineffective mediocrity.

I dont agree with your assessment of Mrs May but agree whats to follow. Cameron with with his sidekick, Osborne was an appalling PM yes visiting on the poor and weak hardship. Yes the current 500 or so MPs who voted for Article 50 is an appalling Parliament - they are still there after she has gone, do you think any thing will change? her deal wasnt a bad Brexit deal but had the inevitable achilles heal of the backstop that breaks the GFA, but is there soley to protect the EUs dogmas of the single market. Mrs May has become a scapegoat for those 500 miserably incompetent MPs who are still there, including the clown Bojo, the traitorous Gove who stabbed BoJo inthe back, Sajid Javid who removed the uK nationality from Shamima Begum, leaving her child to die dumping responsibility on a country she has no practical connection with. These are just a few. Will anything change? I doubt it. They will still be there after May has gone ( I bet she mumbles good riddance to them all as she leaves no.10)
Get rid of the lot of them.
Every single last one and disallow them ever to be elected as an MP again.

Shelve Brexit.
General Election asap.
It may not make anything any better, but they cannot be any worse than the shower we have in place now. They are an utter disgrace.
Revisit the Brexit issue at a later date.
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mercalia wrote:
mjr wrote:Who's funding Farage? His €100k MEP salary isn't enough for his lavish elite lifestyle, apparently. Banks is the immediate paymaster, but where's he getting the cash?

more

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... GTUK_email

During this period, as well as his MEP’s salary of nearly €9,000 a month, and an extra €30,000 a month declared in media appearances, Farage complained in an interview that he was “53, separated and skint” and that “there’s no money in politics”.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yet 30+% of people look set to be taken in by this obvious shyster.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I would imagine that many of those 30% plus will be like me.
I'm not taken in by him at all, shyster or otherwise.

I'll be voting for any Brexit party, and his seems the one that I'll be going for.
As I've said many many times, I want us out of the EU asap before it's too late.
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:I would imagine that many of those 30% plus will be like me.

I'll be voting for any Brexit party, and his seems the one that I'll be going for.
As I've said many many times, I want us out of the EU asap before it's too late.

If you're voting for his party, you've been taken in by him, whether you can admit it to yourself or not, if you can't see what your Brexit really involves when it's proponents are him and his bunch of misfit extremist candidates, funded by billionaire elitists.

They're what you're voting for.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I saw the report in TV last night and he becomes rather an unpleasant person when asked about "inconvenient" things. All smiles, grins and a pint in hand as long as he is setting the agenda and controlling things but as soon as real questions get asked no more smiles and grins, no longer the slick salesman ...

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

If you're voting for his party, you've been taken in by him, whether you can admit it to yourself or not, if you can't see what your Brexit really involves when it's proponents are him and his bunch of misfit extremist candidates, funded by billionaire elitists.

I'm voting for Brexit.
The more MEPs in there who want us out, the better.
When we leave, they become redundant.

As I keep saying, I want us to leave the EU asap, if not sooner.

PS
We don't have a telly, we buy no newspapers.
I cannot be "taken in" by anybody.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

So when the EU gave us an extension until Oct they warned us not to waste the time. Then 1st thing Government & Parliament did was go on holiday for almost 2 weeks. Then launched into weeks of "long-shot" discussions. Now looks like we will be going into a Conservative Party leadership contest which will move us no closer to sorting out our EU membership just waste more time ...

And (as I understand it), each day we waste now is a day less of the "transition period" as the "transition period" is not a duration but has an already set end date - longer we mess around now, the shorter the "transition period".

Seems to me that since the EU gave us the extension the UK has done little other than waste time in he vain hope that somehow May will get her deal passed (after however many attempts). And plans for the future seem to be just waste more time whilst the Conservatives play their internal party games.

Height of irresponsibility.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Psamathe wrote:Height of irresponsibility.
Yes.
The height of irresponsibility.

Get them all out and give them the sack and elect a new lot.
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

I'm voting for Brexit.
The more MEPs in there who want us out, the better.
When we leave, they become redundant.

As I keep saying, I want us to leave the EU asap, if not sooner.

PS
We don't have a telly, we buy no newspapers.
I cannot be "taken in" by anybody.

You're voting for a party led by an obvious shyster with extremists like Claire Fox in tow. A shyster whose previous incarnation resulted in prosecution for expenses fraud and an MEP being jailed for benefit fraud, just for starters.

They're in favour of a "no deal" Brexit which in reality will mean an endless and tortuous process of agreeing terms with the EU line by line over a barrel.

They'll be happiest if there is no Brexit so they can make a lot of self-regarding conspiratorial noise whilst contributing nothing and snaffling large salaries and expenses.

You've absolutely been taken in. So far you can't even being to glimpse it.