** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote: Mays GROSS error was to swallow hook line and sinker the EUs soln to the GFA that is only in the interests of the EU;

Meanwhile, in reality, the current backstop was a UK govt proposal.

The original backstop was Northern Ireland only - that would break the GFA so checkmate, have to include all of the UK. And once you have that you dont have Brexit anylonger....
PH

Post by PH »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:You generalise so much there that you venture into inaccuracy - Boris was one of the loudest mouths, and he was pretty hot for WTO and giving the EU the middle finger.

Either your memory is faulty, or you're as big a fantasist as Boris himself. Here he is in his own words:
What we want is for Britain to be like many other countries in having free-trade access to the territory covered by the Single Market – but not to be subject to the vast, growing and politically-driven empire of EU law.
http://www.voteleavetakecontrol.org/bor ... leave.html
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

belgiangoth wrote:
Mick F wrote:I'm sort of of a slightly different opinion about the Ireland issue.
It's not a UK problem after we leave, it's an EU problem.
It's their external border.

Moot point, I agree, but it's not just a UK issue but a joint one and I would like to think they it would be the EU's job to sort it like they've sorted all their other external borders.

One of the big pro Brexit arguments is controlling immigration. The eu will be okay with an open border in Ireland which will allow unchecked immigration. It won’t be used for mass untariffed trade, which is the eu’s issue.
In my opinion it is very much a U.K. problem
Not in my opinion.

It's an EU problem, just like their other border problems.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote:
belgiangoth wrote:
Mick F wrote:I'm sort of of a slightly different opinion about the Ireland issue.

Moot point, I agree, but it's not just a UK issue but a joint one and I would like to think they it would be the EU's job to sort it like they've sorted all their other external borders.

One of the big pro Brexit arguments is controlling immigration. The eu will be okay with an open border in Ireland which will allow unchecked immigration. It won’t be used for mass untariffed trade, which is the eu’s issue.
Not in my opinion.

:?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:
belgiangoth wrote:

Not in my opinion.

If the GFA is affected to such an extent that the "troubles" restart in Northern Ireland and maybe associated bombings in England it will be a UK problem.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

If Boris Johnson achieves his life ambition of becoming PM it'll be interesting to see what his solution is to the Irish border issue.

I believe this is the rock that will eventually sink brexit, and with it every politician who tries to implement it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mr bajokoses wrote:If Boris Johnson achieves his life ambition of becoming PM it'll be interesting to see what his solution is to the Irish border issue.

I believe this is the rock that will eventually sink brexit, and with it every politician who tries to implement it.

he will suggest that Southern Ireland becomes part of the British Empire again? Why not he will say, they speak English dont they?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

TC:
You picked up on my inconsistency there! :oops:
I reckon that the EU have borders. They are in control of those borders as they are THEIR borders.
The NI border with them is just the same as all their other borders but it's of UK interest in that border.

We have an interest, but it's THEIR border to sort out.
They have other EU land borders. Sort it!
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:
belgiangoth wrote:

Not in my opinion.

Brexiters want to impose controls across a border now completely open and over which thousands of lives have been recently lost.

And you casually opine this is the EU's problem.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

From the BBC

But in her Sunday Times piece, Mrs May said she will "not be simply asking MPs to think again" on the same deal that they have repeatedly rejected - but on "an improved packaged of measures that I believe can win new support".

The PM said she wanted MPs to consider the new deal "with fresh pairs of eyes - and to give it their support".

so asking MPs to think again is fine but asking the electorate would be a betrayal and unacceptable? Make up your mind May. It seems that the politcal establlishment holds the electorate in contempt as too simple minded?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48323522
Last edited by mercalia on 19 May 2019, 7:37pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

roubaixtuesday wrote:Brexiters want to impose controls across a border now completely open and over which thousands of lives have been recently lost.
One:
Not all people in favour of leaving the EU want to "impose controls".
Two:
I'm not casually opinionising anything.

I'm saying that the borders of the EU are the EUs problem.
Obviously, the NI problems are a UK/Ireland problem as well.

It's the EU border ........... and not without issues for us in GB and NI.
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:Brexiters want to impose controls across a border now completely open and over which thousands of lives have been recently lost.
One:
Not all people in favour of leaving the EU want to "impose controls".
Two:
I'm not casually opinionising anything.

I'm saying that the borders of the EU are the EUs problem.
Obviously, the NI problems are a UK/Ireland problem as well.

It's the EU border ........... and not without issues for us in GB and NI.

Please explain how it is possible to "take back control" of our borders without controls.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

So Jacob Rees-Mogg has written a book

, Sandbrook’s review does offer a silver lining to those who find him objectionable. “Before I started, the prospect of Rees-Mogg in Downing Street struck me as a ridiculous idea,” he wrote. “But if this is what it takes to stop him writing another book, then I think we should seriously consider paying the price.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ed-britain
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:So Jacob Rees-Mogg has written a book

, Sandbrook’s review does offer a silver lining to those who find him objectionable. “Before I started, the prospect of Rees-Mogg in Downing Street struck me as a ridiculous idea,” he wrote. “But if this is what it takes to stop him writing another book, then I think we should seriously consider paying the price.”

Read the article and thought 'why am I not surprised in the least bit'
It's staggering that people such as he have any standing in modern day politics,but unfortunately they do :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:So Jacob Rees-Mogg has written a book

Read the article and thought 'why am I not surprised in the least bit'
It's staggering that people such as he have any standing in modern day politics,but unfortunately they do :(

He was inspired by this book?
https://mashable.com/2016/08/27/abc-for ... urope=true