** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
old_windbag

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by old_windbag »

PDQ Mobile wrote:I merely pointed it out.(I have been castigated on here for less)

Don't worry I'm in the same club...... you have to dot the i's and cross the t's or be cast out of the forum in shame :) .

When I watch the F1 and they play national anthems our's sound so dreary and dull...... even the german national anthem sounds better. But the one I've got to really like is the italian national anthem, it's got a bit of everything in it and very catchy.

I think "jerusalem" would be a better national anthem( well for england anyway ).
mjr

Post by mjr »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Although I would say the two; "Land of my father's" and "Vaterland" express rather different sentiments.

Really? Without searching, which country's anthem says "Her brave warriors, very splendid patriots, For freedom shed their blood. Nation, nation, I am faithful to my nation" and which says "let us all strive Brotherly with heart and hand! Unity and justice and freedom Are the foundation of happiness; Flourish in the radiance of this happiness", then?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:Although I would say the two; "Land of my father's" and "Vaterland" express rather different sentiments.

Really? Without searching, which country's anthem says "Her brave warriors, very splendid patriots, For freedom shed their blood. Nation, nation, I am faithful to my nation" and which says "let us all strive Brotherly with heart and hand! Unity and justice and freedom Are the foundation of happiness; Flourish in the radiance of this happiness", then?

Dros ryddyd COLLASANT eu gwaed, for freedom they shed their blood

The Polish national anthem is good, *march march Dobrinski*, haven't learnt the words yet mind
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

mjr wrote:Without searching, which country's anthem says

Going on the wording I'd say the latter was the german as the word unity may stem from the big unification that happen to make it Germany.

Thats my hunch but I recognise neither without the tune :lol: .

Edit: b**ger he's given the answer in native tongue too! thought PDQ had answer but it was bryn
Last edited by old_windbag on 16 Nov 2017, 12:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Vaterland and "Land of my fathers"?

I dunno really.
And seeing as I am "adopted" wherever I go; a stateless gypsy, it's not for me to expand on it.
I feel under qualified to do so.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

And here's one I prepared earlier!

As I have been guilty of thread drift, I now would like to drag the thread (screaming!) back to topic.

Greece (Athens area) is at this very moment in the midst of a terrible flooding disaster.
It has been described as a catastrophe "of Biblical Proportions".

The EU has said that its "help mechanisms stand in readiness".(my translation from Junkers) to help.

Surely this is one very concrete benefit from EU membership- a large civil and military capability that can be pooled in times of natural or man-made disaster?
Which can function with little or no beaurocratic interference?
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 16 Nov 2017, 1:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

For the stateless gypsy that is PDQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SqF56nj2LU
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

old_windbag wrote:
mjr wrote:Without searching, which country's anthem says

Going on the wording I'd say the latter was the german as the word unity may stem from the big unification that happen to make it Germany.

Thats my hunch but I recognise neither without the tune :lol: .

Edit: b**ger he's given the answer in native tongue too! thought PDQ had answer but it was bryn

Yes I gave the answer without meaning to (I am half welsh, half german and half english)

The second one is german, the anthem and the words have had to be changed from time to time
The DDR anthem, Auferstanden aus Ruinen, is good too (resurrected from the ruins)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

[quote="old_windbag"]For the stateless gypsy that is PDQ

Kind. Even has the topical bicycle at the close.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Cyril Haearn wrote:resurrected from the ruins

Hmmm I wonder if the UK will be post brexit too. Trump seems to be signing up lots of trade deals with chinese etc so we have some catch up to do if we want the global market. Trumps nationalistic favour will rob us of many opportunities and we'll be cap in hand to have a share.

PDQ Mobile wrote:Even has the topical bicycle at the close.

Jeff Lynn out of ELO and the Wilbury's has a very chilled out house and seems pretty down to earth. He has rugs, cushions scattered all about with musical instruments at hand. A pleasant existence, music is good even if you can't play well it's good to do it for your own enjoyment.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I can never hear the jaunty middle bit of the Italian anthem without my hindbrain singing along: "I need to go to the toilet, I need to go to the toilet...".

Apologies to any Italian members. Please take all the micturate you like out of "God save the Queen".
Have we got time for another cuppa?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Audax67 wrote:Please take all the micturate you like out of "God save the Queen".
That's easy once you get to that "confound their politicks/frustrate their knavish tricks" bit...

Mind you, if god exists, s/he's done a pretty damn good job at 'confounding our politricks', as things stand. Now, if only s/he could 'frustrate [the brex**iteers'] knavish tricks'.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Lets have a sing song to the italian anthem, you can sing audax67's lyrics in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3RToBymttA

It sounds very fittingly operatic, ours staid and dull.

The brazilian is also lively and operatic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyyOahYXhUQ
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

David Davies has apparently told a meeting in Berlin that the EU "should not put politics above prosperity".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... alks#img-1

I find this an extraordinary statement, from him particularly, for that is exactly what his party has done.
Over and over again.

That the EU will look to it's own prosperity seems obvious.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

old_windbag wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:We make the wings in N Wales.

Add in a sprinkling of Rolls Royce engines too.

Isn't Rolls Royce owned by BMW these days?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker