** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:So Trump endorses Boris!
An endorsement from a man who was "gonna build a big wall" but is now resorting to talking about tariffs and sanctions!
Windbag!

Senator Bolton, the warmonger man, and extreme rightwinger, says Britain should leave the EU. (Daily Telegraph). And he should stay over there in the US of A and sort out his own societal problems.

Farage is in "talks" with Italy's (and others) far right; (what's all that about? Farage wants to leave no?)
"Just leave Mate, if you have the balls, though there is doubt about that!"

Bannon is in Europe stirring trouble, and with the stated aim of promoting chaos.

Our own failed and nasty self obsessed Govt. still propped up by the DUP, (where's the monkey and the grinder there?).
The DUP, a party that have always found even the simplest compromise most extraordinarily difficult, (I am being kind here!).

It's all going so terribly well.
Be careful what you wish for.

And just over the channel there are a few half sensible and cultured folks that try to find some compromise on complex issues.
Not resorted to soundbites.
Promoted free trade within the block. Have a reasonable human rights record, have promoted better workers rights and tried to do something for the environment.

If I wasn't such a cheerful optimist it could get me down.

I wish I were as optomistic as you :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:So Trump endorses Boris!
An endorsement from a man who was "gonna build a big wall" but is now resorting to talking about tariffs and sanctions!
Windbag!

Senator Bolton, the warmonger man, and extreme rightwinger, says Britain should leave the EU. (Daily Telegraph). And he should stay over there in the US of A and sort out his own societal problems.

Farage is in "talks" with Italy's (and others) far right; (what's all that about? Farage wants to leave no?)
"Just leave Mate, if you have the balls, though there is doubt about that!"

Bannon is in Europe stirring trouble, and with the stated aim of promoting chaos.

Our own failed and nasty self obsessed Govt. still propped up by the DUP, (where's the monkey and the grinder there?).
The DUP, a party that have always found even the simplest compromise most extraordinarily difficult, (I am being kind here!).

It's all going so terribly well.
Be careful what you wish for.

And just over the channel there are a few half sensible and cultured folks that try to find some compromise on complex issues.
Not resorted to soundbites.
Promoted free trade within the block. Have a reasonable human rights record, have promoted better workers rights and tried to do something for the environment.

If I wasn't such a cheerful optimist it could get me down.

Farage wants a partial exit.... he wants to keep the financial bit where he gets a £170,000 pay off and £73,000 a year pension.

Ho does NOT want a clean break

atleast for a year as less than a year he dont get a pension I believe :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:I asked hundreds(?) of pages back, what would all you Remain folk want?
The Leave people are clear - leave in accordance with the referendum - though not clear on how of course, and that's the sticking point.

But does that mean Leave the Single Market? or ending Freedom of Movement? or leaving the ECJ? or leaving the Customs Union? Because we can stay in all those and more and still leave the EU. But some Leave campaigners insist the referendum said to end Freedom of Movement but my ballot asked no such question), others said we could (e.g Boris & Farange). But now we are being told we have to leave all these things by some and not by others - so to my mind Leave people are vey unclear about what is sought. and it is very important due to the different amount of damage to the UK different "Leave" options would have.

As you say, Leave people and not clear as to how we leave but more importantly, they seem very unclear about what we leave (and that is the really important bit).

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote:I asked hundreds(?) of pages back, what would all you Remain folk want?
The Leave people are clear - leave in accordance with the referendum - though not clear on how of course, and that's the sticking point.

The Remain people want what?
Rematch?
Forget the whole thing?

This looks different down my end of the spyglass.

I voted remain. I cannot see anything clearer than that. (And I'll reiterate that I am now resigned to leaving.)

You voted leave for reasons you have often given and I'll summarise as intuition. (If that's unfair, sorry.) You are, of course, entitled, nay perfectly entitled to vote how you like and that's that. Ditto the 17M+ others who voted leave. That doesn't necessarily make anything else you say on the subject correct beyond being your personal opinion.

The next part is the process of leaving, which you seem to dismiss as the sticking point but it's where those 17M+ have no common position beyond leaving.

When anybody responds to/ challenges those multiple differing leave standpoints, it's inevitable multiple rebuttals will be put forward. Nobody should be criticising others for the way they voted, but they are entitled, or rather duty-bound to answer arguments they feel are unfounded.
================================================================

PS I've been slow on the uptake. Are you suggesting that remainers should all rally round to get you out of the predictable mess you couldn't see coming down the other end of the spyglass? (Or with it pressed to the blind eye?)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Referenda simply don't work in a parliamentary democracy. We don't do government by plebiscite. The last three years clearly demonstrate this.
John
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick F wrote:I attended a lecture back in 1990 about the Commonwealth. Part of the lecture was that the Commonwealth could be a trading unit in goods, and that despite European unit (that we're in now of course) we could trade with them instead. The Commonwealth of Nations is a worldwide community of likeminded countries, and we don't use it properly.

It wasn't set up like that of course, but we could all benefit if it were.

Of all the fantasies that Brexit has invoked, the idea of the commonwealth rallying round Britannia as we return to save them once again in Empire 2.0, has got to be amongst the least self- aware and most ridiculous.

And that's in a very rich field to choose from.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
Mick F wrote:though not clear on how of course, and that's the sticking point.

I'm an in-betweenie (tm), so have the rare advantage of being a detached observer of both camps.

As I recall from the campaign there was very little talk of any kind of negotiated deal, contract, settlement, call it what you will. The outties were sold a campaign on "out". The official out campaign and the next biggest, Farage's, were not selling the prospect of any kind of significant deal to the public as their primary stance as a means of leaving, or as a prerequisite for doing so.

It is since the referrendum that talk of the deal quickly came to the fore, and that was in large part driven by remainers, like May, not the outties.

So from my rare persepective I could see that out meant out in the way it was sold, and all this talk of deals etc is nothing more than the deliberate muddying of the waters in an attempt to delay or even halt entire the prospect of us ever leaving. That's fair enough - if the vote had gone the other way I'm sure the outties would be calling for a renegotiation with the EU, citing their significant vote share as a mandate for such a thing. But there's little doubt, out meant out (that rhymes, I'm the brexit poet laureat!) in the manner in which it was campaigned.

A poor analysis, as the explanation "out means out and nothing more" neglects to consider the various motivations, intents, wishes, imagined futures and other elements that must have been part of what drove some voters to vote "out". It also fails to consider a whole host of "reasons" put up for voting "out" that have turned out to be based on falsity, deliberate and otherwise.

You can accept the MickF and Natural Ankling explanation that there's nothing more to their "out" decision that "a feeling". I'm sure that's true but it begs the question: what drives this feeling? Within those drivers what are the imagined or hoped for things that will be expunged and things that will be gained - other than a satisfaction of having "the feeling" catered to?

On the other hand, you may be correct. All "out" voters may have voted on nothing but a feeling of distaste for the EU for which they themselves cannot identify any underlying reasons, especially to themselves. They are uninterested in the practical consequences, to themselves or others. Only satidsfaction of "the feeling" matters.

Being human and understanding that all humans do reasoning, of one quality or another, concerning every little thing ... I find this simple explanation entirely unconvincing. These voters are either reluctant to state their reasons or are hiding from them themselves, out of another "feeling", probably shame or their feeling that they are merely prejudiced in a society that tends to find being prejudiced a demeaning or even foolish attitude.

But when 52% of the actual voters are prejudiced - prejudice has become a near-norm, so that's OK then.

Cugel, probably prejudiced against the prejudiced. :-)
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cugel wrote: I'm sure that's true but it begs the question: what drives this feeling?

This could be the million dollar question!
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Where is a Charles de Gaulle when you need him?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48487973

lambs to the slaughter I think really :twisted: :evil:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

With all this talk from Conservative Leadership contenders about a "No Deal" it struck me that people (or leadership candidates) seem to have forgotten that the payment included as part of that deal is the UK honouring its commitments not us "buying" anything. So if we go "No Deal" and renege on our previous commitments, when we go cap in hand to the EU wanting some sort of trade deal do people expect the EU will just ignore that we walked out on our previous commitments with them? Do people think they will regard the UK as a reliable partner who sticks to their agreements?, etc.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Mick F wrote:I attended a lecture back in 1990 about the Commonwealth. Part of the lecture was that the Commonwealth could be a trading unit in goods, and that despite European unit (that we're in now of course) we could trade with them instead. The Commonwealth of Nations is a worldwide community of likeminded countries, and we don't use it properly.

It wasn't set up like that of course, but we could all benefit if it were.

Of all the fantasies that Brexit has invoked, the idea of the commonwealth rallying round Britannia as we return to save them once again in Empire 2.0, has got to be amongst the least self- aware and most ridiculous.
In 1990 it was a far different world back then.

It was before the Euro, before open borders, before Schengen, even before the EU.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Oldjohnw wrote:Referenda simply don't work in a parliamentary democracy. We don't do government by plebiscite. The last three years clearly demonstrate this.

I heard that it's technically feasible to not have any government and may all decisions concerning the country by electronic referendum. I think this would be a disaster as what we'd have is a vote for the immediate not for the longer term benefit of the country, much like Brexit.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48481309
Trump administration wants UK to leave EU, says adviser John Bolton

I bet they do - would weaken the EU the USA's major competitor for leadership of Western values and also a ripe market to exploit without the protection of the EU. Farage and Trump are 2 peas out of the same pod. Monsters
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

francovendee wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Referenda simply don't work in a parliamentary democracy. We don't do government by plebiscite. The last three years clearly demonstrate this.

I heard that it's technically feasible to not have any government and may all decisions concerning the country by electronic referendum. I think this would be a disaster as what we'd have is a vote for the immediate not for the longer term benefit of the country, much like Brexit.

Yet instant democracy is often held to be more democratic - and purer - than more deliberative systems.

It seems obvious to me that what the people want this minute is more vulnerable to manipulation, and decisions are more likely to be ill-informed and capricious. When the true costs of Brexit materialise, I think Rees-Mogg, Johnson and Farage will be praying for institutional justice rather than let the Will of the People decide their fate, by referendum.