** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pete75 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
More mumbo jumbo.

Tuesday is hinge day.

What will the remainers be sprouting if it does not go their way.

Nothing compared to what supporters of brexit will be doing if it doesn't go their way. Grayling is even saying that if Brexit doesn't happen it's supporters will turn even more right wing and start causing lots of trouble.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:What will the remainers be sprouting if it does not go their way.
Well, I don't know what is meant by "their way", but this here Remainer aka "Yours Truly" has indeed got some potatoes in the kitchen which appear to be sprouting. So what should I do with them? Eat them? Plant them? Bin them? Does this answer your question?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Re:SHOCK NEWS

Post by thirdcrank »

Would you Adam 'n' Eve it?

Tories on brink of imploding Historic split looms as supporters of brexit and Remainers threaten to torpedo government
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... ng-brexit/

(The original headline does include the dreaded B word. :roll: )
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, heard it on the R4 news this morning, and that Corby will be putting forward a motion on no confidence in the government. Say's he will do that at the latest, Tuesday evening.
If they'd have asked me, I'd have voted no confidence in the whole shooting match months and months ago.

General election asap to clear up the decks. Maybe no better off, but at least the prospective MPs will be able to set out their wares and let the people decide on their fate.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cours

Post by Cours »

Next 48hrs are going to be extraordinary, by any measure of recent history. There's even an alleged plot by Tory MPs to stage a power grab coup on Tuesday night.

Curioser and curioser!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

somw where i read a very British Coup
Cours

Post by Cours »

The odds for 2019 referendum and UK stays in the European Union just shortened from 5/1 to 3/1 and falling.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Let's suppose TM loses a confidence vote, then what? In the absence of constitutional expert Baron Fawning, I'll do a bit of punditry and suggest that Her Britannic Majesty has to see if anybody else can form a government, which seems like snowflake in hell territory, so it's GE time. Two broad camps with opposing strategies. On the one hand, those hoping that in the absence of anything else, a No Deal Brexit will become inevitable; on the other, those hoping that the implied rejection of the current deal means Brexit can be kicked down the path. Both sides running down the clock with different expectations of the result.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

the BBC summary

"The government has made a fresh plea to MPs get behind Theresa May's Brexit deal in Tuesday's crucial Commons vote.

A group of MPs are understood to be planning to take control of the Brexit process if, as widely expected, Mrs May's deal is voted down.

And Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has vowed to table a vote of no confidence in the government if she loses, which could trigger a general election.

The PM has warned of "catastrophic" breach of trust if Brexit is thwarted."

could any thing else happen? a march down to parliament by the masses?

its a real <beep, beep,beep>
Last edited by mercalia on 13 Jan 2019, 12:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

With a bit of luck, the political system we are struggling with at the moment, will have had it's day and the present party politics ideas will be re-written.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cours

Post by Cours »

mercalia wrote:the BBC summary

"The government has made a fresh plea to MPs get behind Theresa May's Brexit deal in Tuesday's crucial Commons vote.

A group of MPs are understood to be planning to take control of the Brexit process if, as widely expected, Mrs May's deal is voted down.

And Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has vowed to table a vote of no confidence in the government if she loses, which could trigger a general election.

The PM has warned of "catastrophic" breach of trust if Brexit is thwarted."

could any thing else happen? a march down to parliament by the masses?

I'm not wanting to be doomsayer but mass civil action of the unrest kind is definitely on the cards. Can't see anyone being happy with the result on Tuesday. Even less so if there's a predicted coup by MPs to du God knows what on Wednesday.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If anything obvious was likely to cause trouble it was Universal Credit. That's been delayed so it won't be that. The future of Brexit won't trigger much public reaction, unless things turn septic eg food shortages. I'm not saying there won't be trouble, just that there's nothing on the radar to cause it at the moment. We got through the long dry Summer of 2018 without a murmur and there's plenty of rain in the current forecasts.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:With a bit of luck, the political system we are struggling with at the moment, will have had it's day and the present party politics ideas will be re-written.
How would you have them re-written?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:
Mick F wrote:With a bit of luck, the political system we are struggling with at the moment, will have had it's day and the present party politics ideas will be re-written.
How would you have them re-written?

proportional representation?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I don't think that's what Mick F meant. Seemed to be implying a dissolving of all the existing political parties and replacing them with .....

....what?