** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cyril Haearn »

If I feel queer I go to the doctor, she knows much more than I do

Likewise, politicians are experts on politricks, they should have stuck to that instead of asking The People

Plus One for representative democracy!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

some thing for Mrs May
:D [youtube]Yop62wQH498[/youtube] :D

or if you want to join in and do Karaoke

[youtube]7_H4HJ1-LhU[/youtube]
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Bonefishblues wrote:Strap yourselves in chums, it's going to be an interesting week!

This was a more prophetic post than it deserved to be :?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Strap yourselves in chums, it's going to be an interesting week!

quoting yourself that must be a first :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

No it's not, I often do it :wink: :wink:
Try making more prophecies, they might come true :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Bad form I know, but I was on funeral and hospital duty today and reflecting on events of the day, and remembered my post!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:If MP,s overturn brexit it will have gone against the will of the people.
How would individuals feel if after a GE the result was reversed somehow.

GEs are overturned all the time, by subsequent GEs.

No MPs I'm aware of are proposing overturning Brexit, just offering the people a chance to do so.

I can't see any reason that would be "against the will of the people". Quite the opposite, in fact.

There is no "the people" with some sort of homogenised will and never has been. There's a horde of what used to be called interest groups. There are gangs of various stripe constructed by various newspapers (and, these days, various websites or Facebook groups). There are even some individuals (but these are exceeding rare).

I'd be content if the politicians stopped catering to the various mobs (or pretended to, in order to cover their own nasty intents) in favour of looking to the national interest. Wot that? Policies and alliances that do the least damage to the most people. Policies and alliances that provide the greatest opportunity for the most people (not just a few oligarchs and corrupt "businessmen"). The preservation of the nation as such in order (preferably in alliance with the rest of Europe) to see-orf the gharks & hoos lurking in The Whitehouse and The Kremlin, amongst other ghark & hoo abodes.

It would be good to see the baying of the xenophobes and racists put down too.

Cugel
Last edited by Cugel on 10 Dec 2018, 10:21pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

The thing is, the best way to understand Theresa May’s predicament is to imagine that 52 percent of Britain had voted that the government should build a submarine out of cheese.
- Now, Theresa May was initially against building a submarine out of cheese, obviously. Because it’s a completely insane thing to do.
- However, in order to become PM, she had to pretend that she thought building a submarine out of cheese was fine and could totally work.
- "Cheese means cheese," she told us all, madly.
- Then she actually built one.
- It’s sh1t. Of course it is. For God’s sake, are you stupid? It’s a submarine built out of cheese.
- So now, having built a sh1t cheese submarine, she has to put up with both Labour and Tory Brexiters insisting that a less sh1t cheese submarine could have been built.
- They’re all lying, and they know it. So does everybody else. We've covered this already, I know, but it’s cheese and it’s a submarine. How good could it possibly be?
- Only she can’t call them out on this. Because she has spent the past two years also lying, by pretending she really could build a decent submarine out of cheese.
- So that’s where we are.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hugorifkind/ ... 0791229440
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:If I feel queer I go to the doctor, she knows much more than I do

Likewise, politicians are experts on politricks, they should have stuck to that instead of asking The People

Plus One for representative democracy!

They asked the people precisely because they were playing politics. Was never actually about brexit.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:

Prophesy doesn't suit you sir! :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:A referendum is a peoples vote.
I see that you are wishing a reverse on brexit or is it a peoples vote on leave conditions?
The quote wasn't addressed at me - but I'll take it on :wink: .

You're right in one sense - the People's Vote campaign is founded on hope. Hope of a complete abrogation of Brexit. There is plenty of evidence that this hope would be fulfilled, but that doesn't make it a certainty.

But what else can we wish for? I - and plenty of others - know what's right. What would get us out of this sorry mess. I'm only sorry that you - and a few others on this forum - can't agree.

People pin their fortune on far more slender hopes, at times. Like that colleague of mine, years ago, who got into the most god-awful financial straits, and proudly announced to everyone in the workplace: "I'm just off to buy my lottery ticket - it's my only hope".

Alas! His 'hopes' didn't come to fruition. I'm sure we'd have known about it if they had! I don't recall whether he ever got himself sorted by any other means.

I am averse to gambling, but the People's Vote is hardly compulsive gambling that so destroys peoples lives. I see this as a one-off last chance to redeem ourselves.

Will anyone care to wish us luck?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

What sort of fresh Brexit hell is this? I sometimes wish I were able to hibernate till March 29th just to avoid it altogether.

This is getting ridiculous. Time for a gilet jaunes movement in the UK?
Attachments
Mobilisation-des-gilets-jaunes-136.000-manifestants-samedi-en-France.jpg
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

" I sometimes wish I were able to hibernate till March 29th just to avoid it altogether."

Need to choose a "year" between "29th" and "just" - 2019 far too soon to avoid all the ramifications of the exercise of the people's will and the last 2 years. Letting monkeys vote never a good idea.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

djnotts wrote:" I sometimes wish I were able to hibernate till March 29th just to avoid it altogether."

Need to choose a "year" between "29th" and "just" - 2019 far too soon to avoid all the ramifications of the exercise of the people's will and the last 2 years. Letting monkeys vote never a good idea.

This thread has changed. Initially most of the bile came from a couple of right wing leavers who don't seem to post on the forum anymore. In the past week or so almost all posts seem to be from remainers making disparaging remarks about the people who voted leave. As has been frequently said this didn't work in the run up to 2016 referendum and it won't work in the run up to the increasingly likely 2019 referendum.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

pete75 wrote:
djnotts wrote:" I sometimes wish I were able to hibernate till March 29th just to avoid it altogether."

This thread has changed. Initially most of the bile came from a couple of right wing leavers who don't seem to post on the forum anymore. In the past week or so almost all posts seem to be from remainers making disparaging remarks about the people who voted leave. As has been frequently said this didn't work in the run up to 2016 referendum and it won't work in the run up to the increasingly likely 2019 referendum.

You're right Pete and it is unnecessary.

Aggression is a reaction when people feel threatened as most of those who put jobs and security beyond vacuous political rhetoric. If a cogent leave plan had emerged after the Brexit vote we wouldn't be in this position now and a large number of remainers would have adopted a pragmatic view of Brexit. This would have been possible yet Mogg, Johnson, Gove et al. have said nothing constructive before or since the vote. In the absence of leadership people feel they have stop the damage that we are doing to the livelihoods of all but the very rich. Abuse is not the way.