** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by al_yrpal »

Paulatic wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:[
Out of 7m Bulgarians it's reckoned that a further 2m will leave in the next few years leaving only the Roma and the old. Free EU movement is a curse for Bulgaria.

Al

Who reckoned?

C3C3EC37-E8B4-49F6-9E6B-6744B301EEC1.jpeg
http://worldpopulationreview.com/countr ... opulation/

Our neighbours who have run a charity there for the last 20 years, and spend 6 months a year there. Romania is similarly affected

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I see that Johnson's EU lies keep on coming. Meanwhile we still await from some of our contributors evidence of UK laws being made by foreign parliaments.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/18/boris-johnson-claims-about-kippers-fishy-brussels-says?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

al_yrpal wrote:I am sure every decent person here will too. Dog Whistle sniping with dementia as it's subject is plainly despicable. It's just over a year that my wife and I lost our past lives and it's been very painful.

Al

You're the person who was saying how great the public purse was these days. Having seen people go through dementia and understand exactly what it does to them - and their savings I can't even begin to imagine how high the cloud you're living on is but it's nowhere near planet earth that's for sure.

Hope your savings are well locked up out of reach of Mogg and co - because they're coming for them.

As for petty sniping, I learned from the master. A person who calls anyone with some notion of social decency a "trot" and even refers to EV's as "milk floats".
Petty? I'd say so.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

kwackers wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:I am sure every decent person here will too. Dog Whistle sniping with dementia as it's subject is plainly despicable. It's just over a year that my wife and I lost our past lives and it's been very painful.

Al

You're the person who was saying how great the public purse was these days. Having seen people go through dementia and understand exactly what it does to them - and their savings I can't even begin to imagine how high the cloud you're living on is but it's nowhere near planet earth that's for sure.

Hope your savings are well locked up out of reach of Mogg and co - because they're coming for them.

As for petty sniping, I learned from the master. A person who calls anyone with some notion of social decency a "trot" and even refers to EV's as "milk floats".
Petty? I'd say so.

How do you 'know' all this? I said there was a raft of trots now lurking in the Labour Party, and yes EVs do excell at milk floats presently. Sorry!

Mogg is on record promoting the idea that all social care should be publicly funded.

You take the cake..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote:Out of 7m Bulgarians it's reckoned that a further 2m will leave in the next few years leaving only the Roma and the old. Free EU movement is a curse for Bulgaria.

Al

Yeah, depopulation in former Soviet bloc countries is all the fault of net migration into the EU.

That's why countries like Ukraine and Belarus not afflicted by the "curse" of free movement, are similarly unaffected by depopulation.

Radical idea: ask the Bulgarians if they're in favour of free movement rather than telling them it's bad?

"The population of Ukraine has undergone a major crisis since the 1990s"
"Belarus was recently named as one of the world's fastest shrinking countries"
Source: http://worldpopulationreview.com/
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:[
Out of 7m Bulgarians it's reckoned that a further 2m will leave in the next few years leaving only the Roma and the old. Free EU movement is a curse for Bulgaria.

Al

Who reckoned?

Our neighbours who have run a charity there for the last 20 years, and spend 6 months a year there. Romania is similarly affected

Al

Yet you propose the many millions who support EU membership leave the UK. Is political cleansing a post Brexit policy?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

al_yrpal wrote:Mogg is on record promoting the idea that all social care should be publicly funded.

Wow.
Not only have you answered something you're actually right!
However my take on the current state of funding is correct.

Social care should be government funded, no reason my friend having paid taxes all his life and saved up a little nest egg should be in the position he's in now.
Poor bloke has aged so fast that even if he had some savings they're not going to do him any good.

Neither should we be in a position where folk incapable of work should be forced to beg for money, schools shouldn't have to beg parents for cash, students shouldn't be indebted for most of their working lives just to get a decent education, I shouldn't have to spend my day weaving around pot holes in the road, councils shouldn't be selling playing fields, parks and woods to make enough cash to cover their shortfalls, there should be enough police to make a difference instead of simply firefighting and ignoring all but the more serious crimes.

It's an endless list. We're not a third world country so why are we funded like one?
What's going to happen when councils have spent the cash they've earned by selling the family silver?

More importantly where does all the money go? Why do we subside employers by topping up their employees wages? Why do we allow large companies to choose how much tax they're going to pay?

There's a lot wrong with the system as it stands, so much in fact I no longer believe in tweaking around the edges to fix it.
A sea change is required and I think a growing number of people realise this.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

pete75 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Who reckoned?

Al

Yet you propose the many millions who support EU membership leave the UK. Is political cleansing a post Brexit policy?

I have never suggested that. My stance is on controlled immigration to mitigate the housing crisis and force the government to train more people here so that we don't need to import skilled people particularly from places like Bulgaria.

Al
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

kwackers wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Mogg is on record promoting the idea that all social care should be publicly funded.

Wow.
Not only have you answered something you're actually right!
However my take on the current state of funding is correct.

Social care should be government funded, no reason my friend having paid taxes all his life and saved up a little nest egg should be in the position he's in now.
Poor bloke has aged so fast that even if he had some savings they're not going to do him any good.

Neither should we be in a position where folk incapable of work should be forced to beg for money, schools shouldn't have to beg parents for cash, students shouldn't be indebted for most of their working lives just to get a decent education, I shouldn't have to spend my day weaving around pot holes in the road, councils shouldn't be selling playing fields, parks and woods to make enough cash to cover their shortfalls, there should be enough police to make a difference instead of simply firefighting and ignoring all but the more serious crimes.

It's an endless list. We're not a third world country so why are we funded like one?
What's going to happen when councils have spent the cash they've earned by selling the family silver?

More importantly where does all the money go? Why do we subside employers by topping up their employees wages? Why do we allow large companies to choose how much tax they're going to pay?

There's a lot wrong with the system as it stands, so much in fact I no longer believe in tweaking around the edges to fix it.
A sea change is required and I think a growing number of people realise this.

Trouble is the money... If pigs had wings

Al
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

al_yrpal wrote:Trouble is the money... If pigs had wings

Al

Money is never a problem when it's needed for other things.
Anyway you were pro-currency depreciation. Why not simply print more? Sure it devalues currency but that's a good thing right?

In other news, seems like our duly elected representatives have "taken back control" yet again by blocking an attempt to prorogue parliament.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49030225
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:
pete75 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:

Al

I have never suggested that. My stance is on controlled immigration to mitigate the housing crisis and force the government to train more people here so that we don't need to import skilled people particularly from places like Bulgaria.

Al

Yes you have. You've suggested here that those who support EU membership should leave the UK and there are many millions of us. That's what I was referring to as political cleansing.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes Pete, if they feel they can't stand home rule. That sounds sensible. It's an option

Al
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote:Yes Pete, if they feel they can't stand home rule. That sounds sensible. It's an option

Al

So why didn't the millions who didn't like the EU leave rather than bring this mess on us?
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Things did not go well for Charles I after he prorogued Parliament. One can only hope history repeats itself, this time as farce.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

al_yrpal wrote:Yes Pete, if they feel they can't stand home rule. That sounds sensible. It's an option

There will never be home rule. Control of our nuclear weapons, energy supplies, foreign policy, food supply, food standards, farming, oil supplies, transport systems, surveillance systems, human rights, science research, ... ...have all been outsourced to, or shared with, foreigners to some degree. In many cases (US/UK extradition for example) the relationship is unbalanced, not in our favour. You may argue about the pros and cons of each of those relationships, case by case. But there is literally no prospect that the UK government - still less UK citizens - will ever be in a position to make unilateral decisions about all those things.

And as a weakened state we will be compelled to bend to the will of foreign states more than ever before. Promises of home rule, sovereignty and independence are simplistic.