** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bet I am not the only one here who went to a [minor] public school. Anyone else care to own up?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:With sourdough you dont need any yeast anyway.
You need to regularly 'feed' the starter. We use rye flour for that. Will that run short? Oh and also water. Will the water run dry? :shock:

We are ramping up the pressure and it will bring the EU to the table sooner or later.
Who's this "we"? If you mean Bozo, he's got a funny way of 'ramping up' - refusing to even talk to them....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Bet I am not the only one here who went to a [minor] public school. Anyone else care to own up?
+1. But it was only a day school - no boarders. My parents put me in for the entrance exam because they'd been warned I might fail the 11-plus (I was a very slow writer). I passed the entrance exam with a scholarship. I never got to sit the 11-plus....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:We are ramping up the pressure and it will bring the EU to the table sooner or later.

Al

In case you hadn't noticed they've been to the table and an agreement made with the UK government, one supported in parliament by all but two of the present cabinet including the so called Prime Minister.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
tony_mm

Post by tony_mm »

al_yrpal wrote:
According to the papers it will be mediteranean fruit and veg that will run short. Answer is buy African produce, thats what I do anyway right now. The EU could lose a lot of business long term. As for the rest, theres always copies of the daily fascist, dont use tinned soups or sugar. Dont drive much, eat muesli, its all part of project fear and no doubt Carney is trying to up the sales of Canadian wheat flour. With sourdough you dont need any yeast anyway.
We are ramping up the pressure and it will bring the EU to the table sooner or later.

Al

How cool is that we get back to WWII in the 21st century? LOL
The European must just laugh at us...[emoji26]
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:According to the papers it will be mediteranean fruit and veg that will run short. Answer is buy African produce, thats what I do anyway right now......

Food miles? Carbon footprint? Transport environmental impacts?

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Psamathe wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:According to the papers it will be mediteranean fruit and veg that will run short. Answer is buy African produce, thats what I do anyway right now......

None of that is of the least concern to the current regime. After all, their mantra is "Brex*it do or die". Nothing else matters to them.

What some didn't realise, maybe, was that their wish is for the entire planet to "do or die". And preferably the latter. :evil:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:
There are idiots in every social class or do you think there are none in the lower social class?
You know perfectly well what merc meant by using those words - and what I meant by objecting to their use. Conflating those voters, of whatever social class, who voted for Brexit, with "idiots", however indirectly, would serve only to make me many enemies - as it will you.

On the other hand, I have no compunctions about calling certain of our politicians, "idiots". These are individuals who have taken on a responsibility: if they fail to live up to that responsibility, it's their look-out.

Of course I disagree with Brexit supporters. There are civilised ways of showing one's disagreement.

So you're attacking me because my interpretation of what he said differs from yours? I guess in your world everyone should think the same.

That's what a private education and piano lessons does for you :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:You know perfectly well what merc meant by using those words - and what I meant by objecting to their use. Conflating those voters, of whatever social class, who voted for Brexit, with "idiots", however indirectly, would serve only to make me many enemies - as it will you.

On the other hand, I have no compunctions about calling certain of our politicians, "idiots". These are individuals who have taken on a responsibility: if they fail to live up to that responsibility, it's their look-out.

Of course I disagree with Brexit supporters. There are civilised ways of showing one's disagreement.

So you're attacking me because my interpretation of what he said differs from yours? I guess in your world everyone should think the same.

That's what a private education and piano lessons does for you :mrgreen:

I guess so - the whole point of private education is to get them all to think the same.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Psamathe wrote:

Ian

The food from Africa is 'better all round argument' is a long standing one from Al.

There are a good number of reasons why such food is less desirable than that from the EU.
Some of those reasons have already been given. The transport distance notable amongst them.
One might add, less pesticide regulation, dodgy political regimes, uncertainty of supply, and food from a continent that has suffered severe famines in recent times.

Al has an irrational hated of the EU.
It blinds him to anything good about it.
One of his stated reasons for buying from Africa is that, quote (from just above):-
"the EU could lose a lot of business long term".

Actually it will be the farmers and producers of the Mediterranean that lose business not the EU.
Now given that Al has often cited the high unemployment in that region as one of the big negatives of the EU it strikes me as pretty hypocritical to suggest African food is a sensible alternative.

His historical pronouncements on the currency markets are also proving totally erroneous.

al_yrpal wrote:Who says? There is a two year exit period, a lot can happen in that time. If the EU decides not to do anything we will leave and the EU and the Euro will slowly disintegrate.
Al

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=103902&hilit=Eu+referendum&start=1080

I went back to that old thread for a look at what had bern said.
Generally it is the remain side of the argument that has been correct in its predictions.
Many of the pronouncements of the leavers have been shown to be quite wrong.

How one can prefer to do (pie in the sky) business with the Trump regime is totally beyond me.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:So you're attacking me because my interpretation of what he said differs from yours?
I was attacking the tone of language used. I wasn't attacking your interpretation.
I guess in your world everyone should think the same.
Absolute rubbish.

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:That's what a private education and piano lessons does for you :mrgreen:
Who are you addressing please? Is this your recipe for a load of personal insults?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

In other news Spudulike has collapsed https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -continues

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what I will say is what is happening now with Boris and his gang refusing to be EU patsys like May, should have happened 2-3 years ago when this game started?
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mercalia wrote:what I will say is what is happening now with Boris and his gang refusing to be EU patsys like May, should have happened 2-3 years ago when this game started?

The description 'EU patsies' plays into the victimhood narrative that has got us into this mess. And it's nothing like the truth.