** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:+123 for Owen Smith, he wants a third referendum

He was the NI Secretary but he is Welsh (MP for Pontypridd/Pontypandy), his successor (68 years old*) is a bit Welsh too
* when should politrickians retire?

Gladstone was PM at 84. Wonder how many would have had the courage to say you're too old to this man. He looks more formidable than Mrs May and her entire cabinet combined.

I a great admirer of the people's William, I was thinking of the new NI Secretary who just got another safe seat
I would not want to be working so hard at 68, I would give up my job for someone younger
Generally I think decisions should be taken by mixed committees, I am not especially smart but I have found myself getting wiser over time without trying :wink:

Winston Churchill was very old too of course..
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Interesting report today about a "No Deal" (WTO) Brexit and the impact it would have on retail prices
‘No deal’ Brexit could cost UK retail industry £7.8bn in extra tariffs, new research shows
Almost three-quarters of what we eat is imported from the European Union
The UK’s food and drink industry will be hit with higher tariffs more than any other sector should the UK fail to agree a trade deal with the European Union, with tariffs of up to 80 per cent on imported goods, according to analyst Retail Economics and law firm Squire Patton Boggs.

Almost three-quarters of the UK’s food and drinks imports are from the European Union, totalling £30bn in 2017.
Meat and dairy products could be hit with tariffs of up to 80 per cent, translating to £6bn of additional costs for businesses. Chocolates could be hit with tariffs of around 30 per cent.

The study warns that alterative non-EU sources of food and drink imports will be limited by high tariffs and other non-tariff related barriers.

Although there are weaknesses in the article (ambiguous/conflicting statements e.g. "Almost three-quarters of what we eat" vs Almost three-quarters of the UK’s food and drinks imports) - but either way it seems WTO trading would have a significant impact on inflation.

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:well thats the victorian look and the slow speed of photography then, you couldnt move for a few seconds or you got a blurred image - he was probably a pussy cat in real life :wink:
FYI.

Eadweard Muybridge, one of the earliest pioneers of motion photography, was taking frames, especially of galloping horses, exposure times of 1/2000 sec or thereabouts, back in the 1870s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eadweard_ ... imated.gif

The horse's legs do not appear at all blurred in this animation. So I reckon Mr Gladstone had no problems posing for his piccy...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

661-Pete wrote:
mercalia wrote:well thats the victorian look and the slow speed of photography then, you couldnt move for a few seconds or you got a blurred image - he was probably a pussy cat in real life :wink:
FYI.

Eadweard Muybridge, one of the earliest pioneers of motion photography, was taking frames, especially of galloping horses, exposure times of 1/2000 sec or thereabouts, back in the 1870s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eadweard_ ... imated.gif

The horse's legs do not appear at all blurred in this animation. So I reckon Mr Gladstone had no problems posing for his piccy...

Muybridge was using special kit, and the images are very, very tiny and not very sharp; at least, not in my copies. Not within light years of portrait quality like the one above.
Funny, but the books of his pics are widely used by people like artists and hand animators even now, and nobody has even done exactly the same thing with modern cameras, so we are stuck with 1880s quality images. I heard once that he horse in the red triangle road warning sign was from Muybridge....
RickH

Post by RickH »

francovendee wrote:New BLUE British passport to be printed in the EU. Don't you just love it, you couldn't make it up :lol: :lol:

Let the French make them they said. What could possibly go wrong they said? :lol:
New passport design<br />(Click to enlarge)
New passport design
(Click to enlarge)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

"Fetchez la vache!"
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I just hope they get the spelling right and dont print "PISSPORT" as the bottom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Looks like honouring our commitments is already more expensive that MayBot led us to believe
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-divorce-bill-brexit-theresa-may-estimate-eu-exchange-rate-pac-a8312776.html wrote: The government has also deliberately excluded a £2.9bn commitment to continue paying foreign aid through the EU’s European Development Fund (EDF), the National Audit Office (NAO) points out.

Although the main issue raised by the article is about small economic changes having significant impacts of UK payments
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-divorce-bill-brexit-theresa-may-estimate-eu-exchange-rate-pac-a8312776.html wrote:The “divorce bill” Theresa May has agreed to pay as part of the Brexit deal could cost billions more than her £39bn estimate, auditors warn today.

Even “relatively small changes” to government assumptions – on economic performance, ongoing payments into EU schemes or the exchange rate – would throw out the calculation, their report says.

(And I hate the term "divorce bill" as I don't regard it as a "bill" in that we are not paying or buying something but just honouring previous commitments).

Ian
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I nearly posted under the "problem with Aluminium" thread!
For readers of German ( or google translate?) the Swiss media reports that the EU is to be exempted from the USA Aluminum Import Tax and that Washington will not listen to the(non EU) Swiss case.
https://m.srf.ch/news/wirtschaft/us-zoe ... ein-gehoer

I wondered how that tallies with the Uk's position?
Neither in or out of the EU at the moment.

Still we have a special relationship with the USA, yes?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Ah well - Christmas has come early.....

.....and we are the turkeys. :lol:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so there is a tassle between hard brexit-eers and soft ones at the moment .

realy though is a soft brexit a brexit? still have freedom of movement + we pay them subs + we still follow their rules. dont seem like a Brexit to me. I would like another referendum now that the issues have been argued about for months and we know what it all really means rather than the nonsense both sides regurgitated at the start? I think all we can get from the politicians is a fudge that aint worth having?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I hope you're not seriously suggesting that all the promises made for Brexit were pure fantasy??

Say it ain't so!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

BrianFox wrote:I hope you're not seriously suggesting that all the promises made for Brexit were pure fantasy??

Say it ain't so!

now now. both sides lied one promising a Utopia, the other Dantes the 8th or 10th ( or maybe a 11th ) circle of hell?
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Dunno exactly which circle of hell British politics is in now.

More purgatory perhaps?

It's really not utopia though, is it?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

George Soros is coming to the rescue, he plans to force a new referendum inside a year
+51%!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies