** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by 661-Pete »

Cunobelin wrote:Must admit that I fail to see the correlation between General and Local elections.

Locally people are more likely to vote for an individual, than be Party based
I think the main difference is that Locals are largely ignored by the voters. The turnout can by abysmal.

But where else do you start? With a fair voting system (not yet in place in England, not even for Locals), none of this would have happened.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:In bad light or smoke one might not be able to identify them
Best to have great big simple text in black/white/fluorescent
Post 9 999 :wink:

In bad light or smoke it's harder to read the text which isn't usually very big.

Why are you so argumentative? :wink:
I wrote: great - big- simple text in b/w/f
(You could have just Plus Oned my post)
They could be colour coded as well, and with tactile marks in case of complete darkness, why not? Colour-coding is ableism, comparable to racism, increases danger. The EU did me some good, got me thinking about fire-extinguishers (answer to mm)

I was merely pointing out the text on these isnt usually very big. astonishing is ableism?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Common sense Aussies-

I'm not going through 600 pages to see if this has been posted so apologies if it has:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s9eHb3WUqg
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:Image

Plus One, God shave Her Majesty
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

cycleruk wrote:Common sense Aussies-

I'm not going through 600 pages to see if this has been posted so apologies if it has:-
No 'common sense' detected on my radar. Just more pro-Brex**it Sky bullsh*t. But what else might one expect from that source?

I note that the report, early on (I didn't listen through the whole lot of it), comes up with the words "democratic vote to leave". I do wish people wouldn't chuck around this word "democratic" so much! Where's the word "democratic" bandied about most often? Remind me...

...Ah yes. "Democratic People's Republic of Korea". Fine specimen, that! And then there's "Democratic Republic of the Congo". Another perfect model, I suppose.... :? And until a few years ago, we had "Deutsche Demokratische Republik". Excellent! Couldn't ask for more - but I bet there are more....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm trying hard to figure out which "one of her relatives" it was that "gave us the gift of democracy". Without success.

Some might argue - perversely - that democracy in this country "began" with the Commonwealth back in 1649. I seem to recall that ER's "relative" of the time was somewhat against it....

Then there was the Glorious Revolution of 1688 - which at least established a Constitutional as opposed to Absolute Monarchy. I think another ancestor, one James IIRC, was rather against that - too - though he didn't suffer the fate of his Dad....

I would argue that true democracy didn't happen until 1918 with women's suffrage. Although it didn't become on equal terms until 1928. And even today there is something suspect in the word "democracy" - as I mentioned elsewhere.

So what about it, your Maj.? I seem to recall you stuck your finger in, early on, possibly with detrimental consequences. Naughty naughty!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cycleruk wrote:Common sense Aussies-

Oh,but were it that simple.
About the only thing correct about that broadcast was that the UK government and parliament is a useless entity
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

We have a sort of demockracy a bit twisted by financial interests :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Whilst I like HM, in general monarchy doesn't actually 'give' you anything. They might, under duress, and when their future is under threat, concede something.

Having said that, our current chief lady generally makes a lot of sense in her Xmas broadcasts, imho.
John
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Having said that, our current chief lady generally makes a lot of sense in her Xmas broadcasts, imho.

Hmm. Always the same.
Without much real substance or inventiveness, unless it's been an "anus horriblis"!
Though or some of us it has been just that given the chaos and division over Brexit

Uninspiring doesn't come close.

Still it would seem it was the most watched programme on the box Xmas Day, which may say something about the rest of the fare on offer rather than anything else?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Oldjohnw wrote:Having said that, our current chief lady generally makes a lot of sense in her Xmas broadcasts, imho.
Not really. Just repeating the same old mantra as in previous years.

Can't say I blame her though. It ain't much fun I suppose, being a head-of-state with circumscribed powers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Having said that, our current chief lady generally makes a lot of sense in her Xmas broadcasts, imho.
Not really. Just repeating the same old mantra as in previous years.

Can't say I blame her though. It ain't much fun I suppose, being a head-of-state with circumscribed powers.

I thought she was the head of the Church of England . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ? ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:
I'm trying hard to figure out which "one of her relatives" it was that "gave us the gift of democracy". Without success.

Some might argue - perversely - that democracy in this country "began" with the Commonwealth back in 1649. I seem to recall that ER's "relative" of the time was somewhat against it....

Then there was the Glorious Revolution of 1688 - which at least established a Constitutional as opposed to Absolute Monarchy. I think another ancestor, one James IIRC, was rather against that - too - though he didn't suffer the fate of his Dad....

I would argue that true democracy didn't happen until 1918 with women's suffrage. Although it didn't become on equal terms until 1928. And even today there is something suspect in the word "democracy" - as I mentioned elsewhere.

So what about it, your Maj.? I seem to recall you stuck your finger in, early on, possibly with detrimental consequences. Naughty naughty!

yes she is one deluded woman. she certainly has some nice things as in the picture?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:We have a sort of demockracy a bit twisted by financial interests :?

Do you mean financial interests of the rich?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden