** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vorpal

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Vorpal »

AlaninWales wrote:
meic wrote:If the Council Tax isnt paid they will put a charge on the property, then it cant be sold without paying off that which is owed.

How does the Council know when it is sold when it cannot identify the owner? Only once an owner is identified can they know if the property is being transferred.

A property cannot be transferred without a name or company listed as seller and buyer. Conveyancers check if there are charges, leins, or outstanding debts on a property. Normally, no one would be unwilling to buy with those kinds of issues unresolved.

Also, it is legally impossible to transfer or register a property without a name. And the public have the right to obtain land registry records. Soe the magazine article linked above makes abig deal out of not finding out. I'm not suggesting that what was done was right or fair, but the buyer(s) are not untraceable and untaxable. It just takes some work to find out who they are.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Your faith in International Law is touching.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

AlaninWales wrote:Your faith in International Law is touching.

I'm not sure what this has to do with international law.

If you agree that government needs to raise taxes, then you agree it has to come from somewhere. Sure, people try to hide their assets and income. Government has to deal with that.

But, of all assets, property in the UK is the hardest asset to hide. If the government wanted to, it could identify the owner of every property and tax them accordingly. It is domestic law that allows people to buy properties through shell companies based in tax havens. It doesn't have to be.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:

If you agree that government needs to raise taxes, then you agree it has to come from somewhere. Sure, people try to hide their assets and income. Government has to deal with that.

But, of all assets, property in the UK is the hardest asset to hide. If the government wanted to, it could identify the owner of every property and tax them accordingly. It is domestic law that allows people to buy properties through shell companies based in tax havens. It doesn't have to be.

+1
A system set up by those who are funded by the rich for the rich.
Loopholes can be closed if there's a will to close them,however......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

bovlomov wrote:

All properties in the link were purchased in Singapore, all are listed as c/o a single solicitor. The ownership in Singapore of a valueable asset with high earnings (taxed at Singapore rates) can change in Singapore without reference to UK law or land registration.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

AlaninWales wrote:All properties in the link were purchased in Singapore, all are listed as c/o a single solicitor. The ownership in Singapore of a valueable asset with high earnings (taxed at Singapore rates) can change in Singapore without reference to UK law or land registration.

Some countries have rules about property ownership by non residents. It can be done.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

bovlomov wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:All properties in the link were purchased in Singapore, all are listed as c/o a single solicitor. The ownership in Singapore of a valueable asset with high earnings (taxed at Singapore rates) can change in Singapore without reference to UK law or land registration.

Some countries have rules about property ownership by non residents. It can be done.

It could be done. We could also requisition them for social housing, using the existing law which allowed the properties in the area to be bought from the previous owners for a fraction of their market value in order to sell to the development company.

As it is though and unless something like the above is done, these properties are earning money which cannot be taxed by UK by letting at prohibitive rates. Existing "normal procedures" won't touch the current owners of these properties and local people never had a look-in. So much for the integrity of the council's Development Plans. :(
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

AlaninWales wrote:Existing "normal procedures" won't touch the current owners of these properties and local people never had a look-in. So much for the integrity of the council's Development Plans. :(

I feel local authorities could do more. Battersea power station developers are asking Wandsworth Council whether the proportion of affordable housing can be reduced. Will it be allowed? Does the council have any leverage? Was the original application properly scrutinised?

A google search of the project throws up all sorts of promises, going back years, and as many concerns raised. Yet, from the outset, the flats were being marketed in the far east. Wasn't the council making any requirements about housing locals, rather than having the development merely as an investment opportunity for Malaysians?

By the way, I read a report that Sting had played at the New York sales launch, and that he had bought one of the flats. That's one native housed.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

bovlomov wrote:I feel local authorities could do more. Battersea power station developers are asking Wandsworth Council whether the proportion of affordable housing can be reduced. Will it be allowed? Does the council have any leverage? Was the original application properly scrutinised?

A google search of the project throws up all sorts of promises, going back years, and as many concerns raised. Yet, from the outset, the flats were being marketed in the far east. Wasn't the council making any requirements about housing locals, rather than having the development merely as an investment opportunity for Malaysians?

By the way, I read a report that Sting had played at the New York sales launch, and that he had bought one of the flats. That's one native housed.

Presumably through the same solicitors as the Singapore buyers then?
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/every-flat-in-a-new-south-london-development-has-been-sold-to-foreign-investors wrote:from the 51 bought so far, many appear to be offshore – untraceable and untaxable. Every single one of the 51 purchases made is listed as "care of 2 Tower Street, WC2H 9NP". Helpfully, that's Riseam Sharples' office address.

With regard to the promises made and the council's commitment to those
In 2002, the council – which sold the land for just £50 million, yet spent almost as much on forcing through the development itself – announced that the new site of around 2,530 homes would host 500 social housing units. Yet by the time successful bidder, Lendlease, unveiled its final plans, just 82 were put aside for the people they'd turfed out.

82 ... in the same ball-park as the much-lauded 68 being "made available" for the Grenfell survivors in an up-market Kensington development. I wonder how large the whole development is and whether the 68 'token social houses' was originally promised to be a few hundred (or is that too cynical :wink: ?).

I wonder too, about the selling to the developers at a loss to the council, in order that these developers can make £500m profit! Honestly, why would any responsible council do that?
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/selling-heygate-flats-to-overseas-buyers-is-insult-8582422.html wrote:Confidential documents showed that Southwark council spent about £44 million emptying the Heygate Estate but will receive just £50 million from Lend Lease. Other costs to the council could leave it out of pocket.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

AlaninWales wrote:
meic wrote:If the Council Tax isnt paid they will put a charge on the property, then it cant be sold without paying off that which is owed.

How does the Council know when it is sold when it cannot identify the owner? Only once an owner is identified can they know if the property is being transferred.

What I don't understand (not being familiar with shell companies, etc.) is why the UK Gov. could not say that, as every property has some name/address on the Land Registry (real person, real company, shell company, etc.) why we can't say that whoever or whatever is on the Land Registry is liable for taxes. And add that if the taxes due are not paid reach a certain threshold (fixed amount, %age of property value or average property vale or something) then notice will be served to the property that it will be seized and sold to pay the outstanding debt (the registered owner can then receive the balance).

Set a law that all notices are served to the property itself and any address registered on Land Registry, etc. Somebody or company then has every fair opportunity to pay what they owe and whilst they can hide behind whatever shell arrangement they set-up, bottom line is name on Land Registry gets the bills and the property is ultimately the government's security against debts.

When laws (in necessary) are created, have a one-time global runs where any properties with missing information are served notice to the registered property address (including an open field if necessary) and owner warned of new laws and given a fair time to register sensible information.

I suspect that when a property is to be seized by the Government and sold for speed not value that somebody will "crawl out of the woodwork" pretty quickly to protect their asset.

Ian
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Tomorrow is the anniversary of our decision to advise the government to leave the EU.

I'll dedicate my Friday night drinks as a celebration of that wonderful day.

Of course, the real anniversary is 1st Feb 2018, a year after parliament, after accepting our advice, voted overwhelmingly to leave the EU by allowing Article 50 to be invoked by the PM.

That'll probably be the day when Gina Miller, that great admirer of the sovereignty of our national parliament, celebrates the anniversary and I'll probably have another celebration of my own on that day too.

Then there's 29th March, the anniversary of the day our government triggered Article 50.

I'll celebrate on that day as well.

So many Brexit related happy anniversaries!
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

bovlomov wrote:
AlaninWales wrote:Existing "normal procedures" won't touch the current owners of these properties and local people never had a look-in. So much for the integrity of the council's Development Plans. :(

I feel local authorities could do more. Battersea power station developers are asking Wandsworth Council whether the proportion of affordable housing can be reduced. Will it be allowed? Does the council have any leverage? Was the original application properly scrutinised?

Locally (Stafford) a developer in a posh part of town (secondary school has next to no terraced properties in its catchment area, for example) has applied to build their 'affordable' housing requirements for it on different land on the opposite (poorer) side of town. And as we have a tory council, they have said yes. Stafford seems to be in favour of a financial version of ethnic cleansing.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

blackbike wrote:Tomorrow is the anniversary of our decision to advise the government to leave the EU.

Of course, the real anniversary is 1st Feb 2018, a year after parliament, after accepting our advice, voted overwhelmingly to leave the EU by allowing Article 50 to be invoked by the PM.

That'll probably be the day when Gina Miller, that great admirer of the sovereignty of our national parliament, celebrates the anniversary and I'll probably have another celebration of my own on that day too.

Then there's 29th March, the anniversary of the day our government triggered Article 50.

When you are celebrating the anniversary of losing your job as a result of us leaving the EU, let us know and we'll all join in. Especially those who will be losing their jobs as a result of this stupid leave vote but who themselves voted remain.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

blackbike wrote:Tomorrow is the anniversary of our decision to advise the government to leave the EU.

You will be not have much time to do anything else but celebrate :wink:

I will be joining the Pulse of Europe demo again the Sunday after next, we parade through the town and sing the European anthem. The police feel the need to accompany and protect us :P
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Drinking alone is never a good thing. You should really try and avoid it.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker