** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pete75 »

kwackers wrote:
pete75 wrote:
kwackers wrote:Gaming simply means using the optimal strategy by playing the system - which is exactly what she did.

Would I have complained if the Tories won? Nope.
I complain about the system, imo it simply doesn't work which is why I was entertained by her saying the system is broken and she simply played it.
As she said; people had the chance to fix it and didn't so this is how it is at the moment.

So why are you complaining about the system when the Lib Dems won?

What?

I'm simply complaining about the system.
I don't give a monkeys who won.

Yaeh but you said you wouldn't have complained if the Tories had won.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bowedw wrote:I stand corrected, it seems that mercalia was not singling out people by location only those that voted for Brexit wherever they live. What about the comment the Labour supporters up North having something in their drinking water. Does this apply to all Labour supporters all over the UK?

If you look at any analysis of the Brexit Vote such as that by Lord Ashcroft you'll see that the majority of lower social classes C2, D and E voted for Brexit whilst a majority of the higher social class A and B voted remain. Mercalia is merely stating what happened in June 2016. https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/h ... d-and-why/
He also points out that it will be the worst off in society ie the lower social classes who will be hardest hit by any recession caused by the looming no deal Brexit.
I don't think there's any doubt about what he said.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Cugel wrote:Boris makes it up (everything he says) and always has done.

This is the key. It isn't that Johnson lies in pursuit of any coherent goal. Johnson says any thing. Whatever he promises and whatever he threatens are irrelevant to how events will unfold.

We should be less worried by a PM who relishes No Deal Brexit (not Johnson) than by a PM who could do or say anything, and who is utterly careless of the consequences (Johnson).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:If you look at any analysis of the Brexit Vote such as that by Lord Ashcroft you'll see that the majority of lower social classes C2, D and E voted for Brexit whilst a majority of the higher social class A and B voted remain. Mercalia is merely stating what happened in June 2016.
That may well be so. However I take exception to merc's using the words "lower class idiots". As bowedw did - and surely others on this forum. Whichever 'side' we're on, we won't get anywhere by hurling insults at those we disagree with...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

pete75 wrote:
Bowedw wrote:I stand corrected, it seems that mercalia was not singling out people by location only those that voted for Brexit wherever they live. What about the comment the Labour supporters up North having something in their drinking water. Does this apply to all Labour supporters all over the UK?

If you look at any analysis of the Brexit Vote such as that by Lord Ashcroft you'll see that the majority of lower social classes C2, D and E voted for Brexit whilst a majority of the higher social class A and B voted remain. Mercalia is merely stating what happened in June 2016. https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/h ... d-and-why/
He also points out that it will be the worst off in society ie the lower social classes who will be hardest hit by any recession caused by the looming no deal Brexit.

A poll conducted by a Lord worth over a billion $$, commenting on the injustice of a recession on the lower social classes. The "predicted recession" that is. I wonder if this caring Lord was so concerned about the devastation to the lower social classes by all the actual real pre Brexit recessions.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

661-Pete wrote: However I take exception to merc's using the words "lower class idiots".

Most people aren't idiots. There's a lot of bad education, but that cuts across all demographics.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pete75 wrote:Yaeh but you said you wouldn't have complained if the Tories had won.

If you want to take it out of context then be my guest.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:

what I had in mind in particular in the last sentence was the constituencys in the north that voted for Brexit and also are Labour, whose Labour MPs are so against a new referendum as a result( thats where they seem to be?) - why Corbyn is having to walk a tightrope and equivocate, making him appear indecisive and weak, that is damaging the party so much. and allowing the Liberals to provide leadership against the Torys, where it should be Labour. This is common knowledge? They also have my ire
pete75

Post by pete75 »

661-Pete wrote:
pete75 wrote:If you look at any analysis of the Brexit Vote such as that by Lord Ashcroft you'll see that the majority of lower social classes C2, D and E voted for Brexit whilst a majority of the higher social class A and B voted remain. Mercalia is merely stating what happened in June 2016.
That may well be so. However I take exception to merc's using the words "lower class idiots". As bowedw did - and surely others on this forum. Whichever 'side' we're on, we won't get anywhere by hurling insults at those we disagree with...

There are idiots in every social class or do you think there are none in the lower social class?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:

A poll conducted by a Lord worth over a billion $$, commenting on the injustice of a recession on the lower social classes. The "predicted recession" that is. I wonder if this caring Lord was so concerned about the devastation to the lower social classes by all the actual real pre Brexit recessions.

The man's a tory so will care nothing about the lower social classes. He's also a brexit supporter.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:If you look at any analysis of the Brexit Vote such as that by Lord Ashcroft you'll see that the majority of lower social classes C2, D and E voted for Brexit whilst a majority of the higher social class A and B voted remain. Mercalia is merely stating what happened in June 2016. https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/h ... d-and-why/

The man's a tory so will care nothing about the lower social classes. He's also a brexit supporter.

Which invalidates your quote and his assessment completely.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

windmiller wrote:
pete75 wrote:
windmiller wrote:

Which invalidates your quote and his assessment completely.

In what way? Lord Ashcroft is well know for conducting well funded and usually accurate opinion polls. I reported on his findings about which way different social classes voted in the referendum. How does the fact he is a Tory invalidate the results of his poll?

My sentence "He also points out that it will be the worst off in society ie the lower social classes who will be hardest hit by any recession caused by the looming no deal Brexit. " was referring to what Mercalia said.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pete75 wrote:
661-Pete wrote:However I take exception to merc's using the words "lower class idiots". As bowedw did - and surely others on this forum. Whichever 'side' we're on, we won't get anywhere by hurling insults at those we disagree with...

There are idiots in every social class or do you think there are none in the lower social class?
You know perfectly well what merc meant by using those words - and what I meant by objecting to their use. Conflating those voters, of whatever social class, who voted for Brexit, with "idiots", however indirectly, would serve only to make me many enemies - as it will you.

On the other hand, I have no compunctions about calling certain of our politicians, "idiots". These are individuals who have taken on a responsibility: if they fail to live up to that responsibility, it's their look-out.

Of course I disagree with Brexit supporters. There are civilised ways of showing one's disagreement.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

bovlomov wrote:
661-Pete wrote: However I take exception to merc's using the words "lower class idiots".

Most people aren't idiots. There's a lot of bad education, but that cuts across all demographics.

well I think you are trading on the association of "education" with some thing being done to you by an educator? so if you receive a faulty education its not your fault?

Since the Crash of 2008 we have been BATHED in a sea stories or information that only a hermit would not have been exposed to without much personal assistance - about the welfare system being degraded by Osborne Economics, the faulty Universal Credit , individual stories of how it is failing ( I remember a story of a grown man turning up at one of the periodic meetings a few minutes late and being sanctioned and losing his money and breaking down into tears), food banks, bureaucratic incompetance of the DWP ( latest re EU nationals being illegally denied UC) The naivety of the Referendum with false claims or scare mongering, homelessness - being squeezed out of rented accomodation, Housing assocations being made to sell their properties under the Buy To Let scheme, parts of the country receiving grants from the EU to deal with the loss of the industrial base ( was it ) who never less vote for Brexit( ! ), The damage to EU scientific enterprises and grants and being frozen out of them, Policing and the access to criminal data as a result of being in the EU, The European arrest warrant. The ineptitude of Mrs May becoming a patsey for the EU agreeing a leave that undermines the UKs sovereignty ( the backstop) and attempts to steam roller it through parliament, Boris' claim we will leave the EU come what may with out an agreement, even screwing parliament to get it, The falling value of the pound, Companies claiming , they cant function in a no deal Brexit . Companies going bankrupt due to the uncertainties of the Brexit process with the loss of jobs. The cosying up to the USA with its mad president who claims to be our friend but really sees it as an opportunity to exploit our weakness as they have always done

Drip drip drip the stories mount up

You can add your own of stories you have heard or read that are related to the whats been happening since 2008 which paint the backcloth against which Brexit is happening

If you are not one of the well but just one of the just managing, you must have a very thick skull to not see the damage thats been happening and how you are unlikely to benefit from brexit. Of course if you are well off a home owner like a tory lady who was asked why she voted for Brexit said it would be a nice change, it dont matter if you are an ******* idiot.

if your trade has been affected by the EU like the fishing industry with its quotas and foreign fishing in our waters leaving the EU may seem a good idea ( I can remember when my home town was a major fishing port full of trawlers and drifters - I even worked over the summer for one of the companies on the docks buying the fish and made the mistake of filling in an invoice in red and the fisherman went ballistic as red was a bad omen - but now the port is empty, just a few long shore boats and servicing the oil platforms) But the industrial north? What has the EU done to them?

SO I think the claim of idiots still hold. The sign of Intelligence is a willingness to change your views. We have been immersed in so much unavoidable information now. If you looked at my last post I was only concerned with those Labour supporters who voted for Brexit causing so much trouble in the Labour Party, (mainly in the north - Wales also?). As for convincing them to change their mind, Good Luck on that, its become religeon.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mercalia wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

well I think you are trading on the association of "education" with some thing being done to you by an educator? so if you receive a faulty education its not your fault?
<snip>
SO I think the claim of idiots still hold. The sign of Intelligence is a willingness to change your views.

Well, perhaps it's a matter of definition. I don't believe most people are incapable of comprehending these things. But why don't they?

It is partly to do with school education. Most of us, for generations, have left school with no understanding of the things that would help us see through the propaganda. With little grasp of logic (especially common logical fallacies), statistics, basic maths, language, psychology, the physical world, we are vulnerable. And while we may learn some of those defences in adult life, it might not be enough to counter the tsunami of misinformation and psychological manipulation that we face each day.

That covers all classes and income groups. Even most of the people on the winning side are victims of poor education (look at Rees Mogg!). Their ignorance and delusion happens to be working in their favour, but most give no impression of understanding the mechanisms.