** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pete75 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
The EU fisheries have just past a law which says that you can no longer return your over quota catch to the sea.
This some says means that to not face fines means that once a quota is reached you would have to stop fishing or face fines?

Quotas are designed to preserve fish stocks. When the quota is reached a boat would stop fishing. What's the point of fishing over the quota limit and then throwing the fish caught back into the sea when they are most likely dead?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Cunobelin wrote:
bovlomov wrote:All this underlines the idiocy of Parliament in cheering on the triggering of Article 50. The referendum dictated no timescale and Brexit could have been undertaken over any period....

There were two factors here.

The first was pressure from the more extreme elements of supporters of brexit to sign the document and start the process off, and the timescale was imposed by the conditions set by the exit process

Yes. This is what the experts were saying at the time. No hindsight required.

Hannan, for one, couldn't see the problem with an early triggering of A50. That was then, when he dismissed all those concerns, in a short tweet. Now he's complaining - in another tweet - that it shouldn't have been done without proper planning. Naturally, he is not blaming himself, even though Twitter would be the perfect medium for it: "mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa. I'm dreadfully sorry for all the trouble I have caused and all the lies I have told. I will commit the remainder of my life to charitable works. You won't hear from me again.".

This continual rewriting of Brexit history is what we are up against, but few broadcasters challenge it.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pete75 wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
The EU fisheries have just past a law which says that you can no longer return your over quota catch to the sea.
This some says means that to not face fines means that once a quota is reached you would have to stop fishing or face fines?

Quotas are designed to preserve fish stocks. When the quota is reached a boat would stop fishing. What's the point of fishing over the quota limit and then throwing the fish caught back into the sea when they are most likely dead?

It' wonderful that we ( leavers and remainers) finally agree that the EU's fisheries policy has some merit particularly with regard to preserving precious fish stocks.

On another maritime note the BBC had an item about Chris Grayling's statment on the new ferry company subsidy.
It contained a link to the contract which it said had been published online.
I was just a mite curious but when I clicked on said link I got a message stating:-
" the requested site could not be found as too many redirects occured".

https://ted.europa.eu/TED/notice/udl?ur ... HTML&src=0

Beware fisherman of the channel, a new unnavigable ferry boat is about to plow your waters!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Hannan, for one, couldn't see the problem with an early triggering of A50. That was then, when he dismissed all those concerns, in a short tweet. Now he's complaining - in another tweet - that it shouldn't have been done without proper planning. Naturally, he is not blaming himself, even though Twitter would be the perfect medium for it: "mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa. I'm dreadfully sorry for all the trouble I have caused and all the lies I have told. I will commit the remainder of my life to charitable works. You won't hear from me again.".

This gentleman, who has been a remarkably ineffective MEP for many years, is the one who, on the day after the referendum stated, in a film clip which went viral in social media, that "anyone who thinks we will leave the Customs Union needs their head examined".

I believe it is time for him to visit a head examiner. His end of office payout, which he will receive from the body he so despises, should enable him to obtain the very best private medical care. The NHS is another body he despises, although he shouldn't worry: it will soon be flogged off to the USA as part of the price for a trade deal.

Ah well
John
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

mjr

Post by mjr »

Cunobelin wrote:As I understand it......

Fishing is indiscriminate, but the quotas are not

So you can catch 100 cod, but only 2 rare fish

If your first net has 2 cod and two rare fish, your quota is full and you have to stop, even though technically you are entitled to another 98 cod

Previously you would have simply put the two dead rare fish back in the water and carried in regardless, catching and discarding more and more until your cod quota was reached

It is to protect these rare sources

Indeed. So, anyone objecting to this, please could you outline what you would prefer to happen?

If it's to continue the bad old practice of discarding, then do you feel that rarer fish dying out in the wild is a price worth paying? Also, there was the rather big www.FishFight.net campaign against discarding - are you going against the will of the people?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Canuk wrote:

Is this the list of all the good reasons for Brexit? :D
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Debs wrote:
Canuk wrote:

Its a comprehensive list...
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Canuk wrote:
Debs wrote:
Canuk wrote:

Its a comprehensive list...

That's a bit unfair. You missed the blue passports and the freedom to strike a trade deal with North Korea.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Canuk wrote:

I really appreciate this. It's even more comprehensive than the set of instructions for how to play Mornington Crescent.

Incidentally, will it still be possible to play Mornington Crescent in accordance with the notorious Pimlico Proviso rules, especially seeing as satnav will no longer be permitted?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:
Canuk wrote:

I really appreciate this. It's even more comprehensive than the set of instructions for how to play Mornington Crescent.

Incidentally, will it still be possible to play Mornington Crescent in accordance with the notorious Pimlico Proviso rules, especially seeing as satnav will no longer be permitted?

Hmm, but I can see your cunning plan, however I must point out that you will most likely be baulked by Ulster Place which leads on from Union Street.
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Only 85 days to go till the exit from the EU, at what point do we hit 'squeaky bum time', ie the point where the average Joe begin to realise its actually happening, and no longer just a series of hyperbolic, gory headlines in the red tops? When will they be aware of the impact on their collective quality/way of life?

40 days to go? 20? 10?

Nigel Farage today:

http://brexitcountdowntimer.com/
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Incidentally, will it still be possible to play Mornington Crescent in accordance with the notorious Pimlico Proviso rules, especially seeing as satnav will no longer be permitted?

Hmm, but I can see your cunning plan, however I must point out that you will most likely be baulked by Ulster Place which leads on from Union Street.
But then I can invoke the Finsbury Finagle, can't I? Or perhaps, with only down escalators available, that'll make it impossible to reach Raynes Park?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:But then I can invoke the Finsbury Finagle, can't I? Or perhaps, with only down escalators available, that'll make it impossible to reach Raynes Park?

Your devious cunning leaves me no other option, I must consult Mrs Trellis, (she lives just round the corner). Her origins are Irish however and her methodology sometimes outlandish, so beware.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

After careful study, over a nice cup of tea, Mrs Trellis has suggested - The River Approach!
(Celtic cunning at its finest.(I can find nothing in the rules to prevent this?))

Via the Thames to Londonderry Wharf! (A naval vessel has been newly imported from the Med to facilitate this!)
Then through the little known, or used, back passage known as Farage Way leading to Pimplico.

Care will now be required on your part, as Mrs Trellis and myself are but one move from our goal.