** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote:All those 'experts' with their reasonable logical opinions and so called proven facts are being ignored by a substantial majority after being seen to be biased and consistently wrong peddling snake oil time and again. Havent you Remain guys ever asked yourselves why?

Al

Asked and found the answers (well, many of them). Of course, it did involve using logical opinions and proven facts, this discovery.

I suppose we could all just make stuff up, in Al fashion, to please our queer and inexplicable mental itches and irritations. But why make wild and inaccurate guesses and allegations when it's so much easier to assemble something truthful, meaningful, demonstrable and testable?

Perhaps, though, you have taken agin' the scientific method when attempting an understanding of this or that? It isn't a perfect method - what is? But somehow it seems so much more convincing than crazed rants from swivel-eyed loons with pockets full of conspiracy theories or a laughably bad ideology entirely disconnected from the events presented to us all by reality on a daily basis.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Cugel wrote:Perhaps, though, you have taken agin' the scientific method when attempting an understanding of this or that? It isn't a perfect method - what is? But somehow it seems so much more convincing than crazed rants from swivel-eyed loons with pockets full of conspiracy theories or a laughably bad ideology entirely disconnected from the events presented to us all by reality on a daily basis.

Cugel

I've followed this thread since it started and it has been entertaining.Its purpose seems to be as a place for increasingly desperate Remainers to give us their low opinions of those who don't agree with them, opinions which would be possibly be considered impolite if said to someone's face.

Dissenters don't last long if they offer similar opinions about them.

Its like the Guardian's comments section.I'll miss this topic after Brexit.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:
As for the voting if there was a better alternative to the Tories folk including me would be voting for it, but again I find myself aligned with the majority intending to vote for what the majority see as the least damaging option. I note that the top 1% are paying 30% of all income tax collected whilst taxi drivers and b&b owners are identified as the UKs top tax evaders.

Al

You're a Tory stop trying to hide it.
As for taxes the top 1% aren't paying enough,and there are too many loopholes for multinationals and the rich to drive a coach and horses through.
Whilst you may be right about taxi drivers and B&B owners(though a citation would be good) their tax evasion is peanuts compared with the likes of O2,Google,Facebook,etc,etc.

A couple questions,why would a Russian oligarch donate £1.2m to the Tory party?
And why won't the present PM release the report into it?

As for a Tory government led by an abject liar and racist,being the best bet for the country,in Al world that's a given.

The "top 1%" are not properly described as "earners" but rather as bloated parasites who have arranged matters (including the law) to their own advantage, such that they can pretend (to themselves at least) that they somehow deserve all the gravy whilst those who actually produce the gravy don't deserve anything more than the dregs left in the bottom of the gravy pan after the 1% have sucked it all up.

The laws arranging the distribution and use of property and capital are skewed entirely to the benefit of those who already have these things. And the more they have, the greater the skew enabling them to acquire yet more&more, at an ever-increasing rate.

The 30% or whatever of tax revenue taken from these parasitic rascals would be more equitable if it were 99%. In fact, why bother with such a byzantine arrangement when we could simply pay those who actually produce the real goods and services (not the money acquired merely via various financial shenanigans of the gamble-with-other-peoples'-efforts kind) a more equitable share to start with?

But perhaps Al would care to make the case that hedge fund managers, CEOs of failing organisations (failing largely due to their inflated salaries and bonuses despite incompetence) and monopolists of various electronic services deserve their billions-each? I suspect, mind, that he will have no "case" merely a feeling in his id.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:As a floating voter I vote for what I see as the best option for me, my family and the country's future as a whole, at the moment I am with the Tories, yes. I know you R2 live in a " four legs good, two legs bad" environment do try to look at things a bit more objectively. Freed of the Superstate the UK will leap forward. We dont want to be dragged back to the dismal 70s, a time best forgotten which damaged the UK below the waterline leaving us still suffering today.

Al

Up thread I mentioned voting for the best of the evils on offer,the BoJo cult us the worst IMO.
As for a superstate please do us all a favour and stop trying to peddle that erroneous tale it doesn't wash against sound argument, you've been proven wrong too many times on the issue.
There'll be no dragging of the country back to the '70's as any right thinking person knows.
The past ten years has put this country on the skids other than for the rich and multinationals,thanks to your mates.
Last edited by reohn2 on 14 Nov 2019, 2:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

reohn2 wrote:...There'll be no dragging of the country back to the '70's as any right thinking person knows...

The complaints of being dragged back to the '70s by Corbyn is quite amusing given that the avowed policy of the Govt is to deny the existence of the modern world and drag us back to the 1950s.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

As usual not one fact, just a bunch of unsubstantiated assertions and slurs :lol: Wake up...!

Al :lol:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote:As usual not one fact, just a bunch of unsubstantiated assertions and slurs :lol: Wake up...!

I know Al, but there is time for you to redeem yourself by providing the references requested to substantiate your assertions, and your can withdraw your slurs.

Have at it!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:As usual not one fact, just a bunch of unsubstantiated assertions and slurs :lol: Wake up...!

Well that's rich coming from you,given the many,many facts posted by remainers on this looonnnngggggg thead,which have been met with the most unsubstantiated nonsense posted by leavers without a single argument that's stood up to scrutiny.
WAKEY,WAKEY as Bill Cotton used to say :D
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

al_yrpal wrote:All those 'experts' with their reasonable logical opinions and so called proven facts are being ignored by a substantial majority after being seen to be biased and consistently wrong peddling snake oil time and again. Havent you Remain guys ever asked yourselves why?

Al

I've frequently asked myself why you seem to ignore actual events and data that demonstrate why you're wrong.
Or why you're so quick to ignore experts instead relying on your somewhat dated and decidedly middle class viewpoint (and splattering of right wing propaganda) to explain the way the current world works.

But then the flat earth thread appeared again on the tea shop and I made the connection so now I know.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:......But then the flat earth thread appeared again on the tea shop and I made the connection so now I know.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

A message which neatly describes itself. Well done Al.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

al_yrpal wrote:Well, its our money that we have had to give to the Superstate to distribute to dodgy schemes all over Europe. Sorting the flood damage is an ideal opportunity to get some of it back. Well done Boris! :D

Al

It's not our money. Successive governments, freely elected, agreed to these payments. Just like you can't decide you're not paying your mortgage. The fund is doing exactly what it's meant to do: in a community of nations, when there is need, you help.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Oldjohnw wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Well, its our money that we have had to give to the Superstate to distribute to dodgy schemes all over Europe. Sorting the flood damage is an ideal opportunity to get some of it back. Well done Boris! :D

Al

It's not our money. Successive governments, freely elected, agreed to these payments. Just like you can't decide you're not paying your mortgage. The fund is doing exactly what it's meant to do: in a community of nations, when there is need, you help.

All taxes are OUR money, the government and the Superstate dont have any they just spend ours. Get it back... Are you saying we shouldnt apply to squeeze cash out of the EU? I would rather see it spent on our flood victims than the Brussels/Strasbourg gravy train and Junkers wine fridge, subsidising inefficient German strip farmers, cheating Italians and various other dodgy EU causes like legislating against our industries.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

Al

All taxes are OUR money, the government and the Superstate dont have any they just spend ours. Get it back... Are you saying we shouldnt apply to squeeze cash out of the EU? I would rather see it spent on our flood victims than the Brussels/Strasbourg gravy train and Junkers wine fridge, subsidising inefficient German strip farmers, cheating Italians and various other dodgy EU causes like legislating against our industries.

Al

Or. In other words...

al_yrpal wrote:As usual not one fact, just a bunch of unsubstantiated assertions and slurs