** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:It's Reece Moggie and other far rightwingers in the Tory party who caused the referendum in the first place,then May(who should be renamed Mayhem the stupid )who then determined that it would be Mayday(sorry) and now looks as if it will actually be Mayday 21st going of the news as that's all that the EU are willing to extend A50 to :?

This is not the time to be discussing road building, shirley?

Not a bad idea actually. Extend the A50 east to the A1 and it would improve east/west travel a lot.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Maybe - but Brexit hasn't happened yet. It could yet be that Brexiters won the first battle but lose the war - to put it into the we won you lost context that leavers seem to like.

Bit of a playground jab?

Hardly - it's what may yet happen.

That remain win? Yes that's possible. The playground jab was the last remark you made about leave supporters. You can't resist having a pop at us. If and when all this is over people will have to bridge the gaps and bring society back together. How about we start that now by not chucking flippant abuse around when it really isn't necessary? Let's be a bit more constructive.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:
pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:Bit of a playground jab?

Hardly - it's what may yet happen.

That remain win? Yes that's possible. The playground jab was the last remark you made about leave supporters. You can't resist having a pop at us. If and when all this is over people will have to bridge the gaps and bring society back together. How about we start that now by not chucking flippant abuse around when it really isn't necessary? Let's be a bit more constructive.

After the referendum it was leave supporters who made we won you lost remarks. It's still going on. As a keen leaver I thought you might appreciate it what may happen being expressed like that.
If, as seems likely, Brexit will cause a lot of problems Brexit supporters will deserve any and all abuse that comes their way.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote:....
If, as seems likely, Brexit will cause a lot of problems Brexit supporters will deserve any and all abuse that comes their way.

The difficult comes in the lies that the electorate were told. Can you blame people for believing what their elected MPs were telling them?

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pwa wrote:That remain win? Yes that's possible. The playground jab was the last remark you made about leave supporters. You can't resist having a pop at us. If and when all this is over people will have to bridge the gaps and bring society back together. How about we start that now by not chucking flippant abuse around when it really isn't necessary? Let's be a bit more constructive.
I may have lapsed on occasion, but my intention is not to have a pop at individuals who happen to support Brex**it - apart from the politico ringleaders of the Rees-Smog and Bojo ilk, with whom I 'take no prisoners' and make no apology!

I am well aware that there are people who loathe the EU for whatever reason and want to be rid of it. I'm asking them - some of them at least - to go on hating it if you must - but to live with it.

You may detest seat belts in cars (I've known people who do), but you know they're there for a reason - so you wear them....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

661-Pete wrote:You may detest seat belts in cars (I've known people who do), but you know they're there for a reason - so you wear them....
What reason is that?
Legal reasons of course, but cars are so safe nowadays in comparison to when seatbelts first became the norm and compulsory, so you could argue that they aren't needed now.

Whilst we're on the subject ............. what about cycle helmets? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

Given the massive publicity one petition is today having on the Gov's petition website I thought I'd start my own, give it a name, a bit of background information and see what happens.

Sign if you believe Brexit means Brexit.

Arrange a Deal with the European Union - Post-Brexit

In the 2016 Referendum the people of the UK made a binary choice in leaving the European Union. They did not vote for whether any kind of deal should be struck. Any sort of deal can be arranged with the European Union at any future date leaving the EU does not require a deal.

It is clear that our MPs have other ideas about what is best for the UK. It is not essential that we leave with a deal, the world does not suddenly come to end on Brexit day! There will be plenty of opportunities to negotiate a trading arrangement whether it's in 6 months time, a year from now - or even 2, 5, 10, 15 years down the road. Generations of people from across the UK voted for the country to leave the EU; everything else can be negotiated in confidence that life still goes on.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... IIlBPyLwQW
Last edited by djrikki on 21 Mar 2019, 9:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Opens straight onto the signature page?
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

Yeah I found that out later - it appears I need to garner 5 signatures at first to get the ball rolling.
RickH

Post by RickH »

djrikki wrote:Yeah I found that out later - it appears I need to garner 5 signatures at first to get the ball rolling.

Meanwhile... the other petition has passed 1.5 million signatures!
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

djrikki wrote:Yeah I found that out later - it appears I need to garner 5 signatures at first to get the ball rolling.

Things are often not as straightforward as they seem.
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

Indeed :lol:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

There is a petition started by someone else, still running, that might more or less serve your needs, given your stated opinions:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/229963
Save you the trouble of bothering about your own. In nearly six months, the above has garnered the grand total of 375,654 signatures.

An impressive number, OK, but not quite so impressive as the 1.75+ million (latest figure) amassed in little more than a day ......
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

djrikki wrote:Given the massive publicity one petition is today having on the Gov's petition website I thought I'd start my own, give it a name, a bit of background information and see what happens.

Sign if you believe Brexit means Brexit.

Arrange a Deal with the European Union - Post-Brexit
<snip>

Simply saying we'll leave has left the country in a worse position, even if we cancelled it now there are things we've lost and can never get back.

Folk didn't make a binary choice, they were told we'd sign a deal like 'X' or 'Y' or that this or that would happen. They didn't vote for brexit thinking we wouldn't do any of that stuff, that we'd simply fall off the edge without a clue.
Leaving without doing anything is as big if not bigger betrayal than not leaving, if you want that as an option then the only real solution is another referendum where people get to vote on just that.

We're 5 to 10 years away from a post-brexit deal with the EU - providing we don't simply sign up for all the goodies we're in at the moment.
We've got no deals with anyone else, WTO terms aren't great and the idea we'll simply reduce import tariffs to zero to keep stuff cheap is so nonsensical I'm not even sure there's anyone out there daft enough to believe it.

Fundamentally the problem with "leave" is it was never defined. Everyone and their dog had a different idea of what it was so in that respect why would you expect any consensus now?

The other problem is the idea that a little over half represents some sort of majority. Every MP has half their constituents threatening never to vote for them if they don't leave and the other half threatening never to vote for them if they do - and combined with question of what leave means even that breaks down further.
How can an MP win? Simple answer; they can't.
That's the trouble with a parliamentary democracy, they have to make as many people happy as they can and since half the people don't know what they want then you can argue the best thing they can do is make the other half who all want the same thing happy because that's were the numbers really lie.

P.S. There's already a leave means leave petition up there. Last time I looked it wasn't doing that great so a bit like Farage's "March to Leave" protest it seems leavers in general can't really be bothered which makes me wonder why we take any notice of them at all.
<edit> I see 661-Pete has posted a link to it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:

Meanwhile... the other petition has passed 1.5 million signatures!

Now 1,753,000 at time of my posting.That's 353,000 signatures in 3hours :shock: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden