** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:It is a joint problem, but another problem has been the view is some quarters that the remaining 27 EU countries will be so desperate to please the UK that they will slide on their bellies to accommodate whatever we want, with the fallback position being that if they don't capitulate it just illustrates what a nasty - garlic-eating - bunch they are.

Nail,head,on
The arrogance of the leave campaign and some of it's supporters is beyond belief at times.
To think the UK can just walk away from the EU,without such as a glance over it's shoulder is infantile and ignorant in the extreme yet some are still professing such beliefs.
Incredible!

Let's not forget the eye watering mortgage settlement.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
reohn2 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:It is a joint problem, but another problem has been the view is some quarters that the remaining 27 EU countries will be so desperate to please the UK that they will slide on their bellies to accommodate whatever we want, with the fallback position being that if they don't capitulate it just illustrates what a nasty - garlic-eating - bunch they are.

Nail,head,on
The arrogance of the leave campaign and some of it's supporters is beyond belief at times.
To think the UK can just walk away from the EU,without such as a glance over it's shoulder is infantile and ignorant in the extreme yet some are still professing such beliefs.
Incredible!

It's peanuts compared to the cost to the country of a crash and burn no deal brexit,personally I cant see why people fail to see that :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
reohn2 wrote:Nail,head,on
Incredible!

It's peanuts compared to the cost to the country of a crash and burn no deal brexit,personally I cant see why people fail to see that :?

And it's only about half of the £1000ish per person that Brexit has cost the UK so far: https://costofbrexit.netlify.com/

Independent confirmation: https://www.businessinsider.com/price-o ... &r=US&IR=T

The meter's still running. When will Leavers accept that it's time to stop burning our money and fund the NHS instead?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

A guy on radio 4 The world at One I think it is called said the country voted for Brexit Did they? Just over half did, the rest didnt. these deliberate fallacies are whats keeping the manipulative politicians in work?

Its about time that they admitted THEY got it wrong and stopped directing attention to US, the public that WE shouldnt be asked to change our minds, that WE got it wrong?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

And so many got it wrong on false promises and abject lies from the likes of Farage et al.

What I find astoundingly mad is the Tories forecasting BoJo as hot favourite for PM,wonderously crazy bunch of people :? :shock: :lol :lol:
W H Auden
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

reohn2 wrote:What I find astoundingly mad is the Tories forecasting BoJo as hot favourite for PM,wonderously crazy bunch of people :? :shock: :lol :lol:

That would be the result of an election by a shrinking Tory membership, not by the public. You have to wonder how a party that built its brand on perceived reliability arrived at this. These people are lunatics.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:...... These people are lunatics.

Quite right!
They howl at the moon more with each passing day,or should that each passing phase? :D
Nutters the lot of 'em,if the voting public can't see the damage they've done to the country during their time in office,or what more rightwing lunatic governments will do,we're in dire straights as a country.
They're so many Talking Heads..... .......We're on the road to nowhere :?
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:

Quite right!
They howl at the moon more with each passing day,or should that each passing phase? :D
Nutters the lot of 'em,if the voting public can't see the damage they've done to the country during their time in office,or what more rightwing lunatic governments will do,we're in dire straights as a country.

Those rightwing lunatics of the Tory stripe are not so daft, as they see the opportunity to turn Britain into a facist state in which they are the bigwigs. Of course, that won't be the label they choose to stick on their ascendancy but that's what their actions will be should they attain power via Brexit and the ensuing populist panic with a search for "a strong man". Facist. We're already halfway there, with social degradations for millions as an elite become ever more powerful and immune to the public will or the law of the land.

A long look at history from our present world-wide political context and condition would suggest that humans are slowly rejecting the various liberalisms of The Enlightement and it's various philodophies, political theories, political parties and political institutions to return to more usual modes. Many would now like a more definite kind of government in which "right thinking" folk are favoured whilst all the rest are got rid of one way or another. These longers after rightness fail to understand that they too will be subject to the rightness tests of the strongman, who will change the defintion of rightness almost every week to suit his latest whim.

Perhaps our generation will benefit from the last fizzles and splutters of the former Liberal hegemony, as it's consumerist pleasure garden is over-run with political decay and the rank weeds of populist mobs of various aspects? What about our children and grandchildren? I fear they are doomed to Bojo or Mogg-style "government" which will inept, toxic yet somehow result in Bojo or Mogg having ever such a good time whilst becoming very rich indeed.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

mercalia wrote:A guy on radio 4 The world at One I think it is called said the country voted for Brexit Did they? Just over half did, the rest didnt. these deliberate fallacies are whats keeping the manipulative politicians in work?

Its about time that they admitted THEY got it wrong and stopped directing attention to US, the public that WE shouldnt be asked to change our minds, that WE got it wrong?

If there's one thing Theresa May has been consistent about, it's that brexit is 'the will of the people', it's 'what the British public voted for'. Since she became PM she has made sure she can eventually blame the people for brexit.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote:And so many got it wrong on false promises and abject lies from the likes of Farage et al.

What I find astoundingly mad is the Tories forecasting BoJo as hot favourite for PM,wonderously crazy bunch of people :? :shock: :lol :lol:

Interesting (maybe related) article about some US research applicable to the situation "these" imbeciles have created in the UK
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/posh-people-think-theyre-better-university-of-virginia-social-inequality-a8921876.html wrote:Posh people really do think they’re better than others, psychologists find
People in higher social classes are “overconfident” about their abilities which means they come across as more competent – even when they don’t know what they’re talking about, psychologists found.

Or maybe just another Dunning–Kruger
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect[/url] wrote:In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

News Flash ( why isnt there a flashing colour?)

here is Mays latest Big Idea: A customs Union until the next GE

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48339923

Is she just a Moron? Does PM stand for Purely Mad? Is she living in some kind of alternative universe?

One glimmer of hope

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48357017

but not the referendum reference which is a con as last time it was defeated - it is just a way to manipulate a few weak mps who might be persuaded to go along with her deal?

Oh on another matter with all thes e companies going to teh wall now is the time to NATIONALISE THEM? eg British Steel? Wont cost us much as the last time it was sold for £1 I think?

What will it take for Parliament to recognise they got it wrong to activate article 50?
Last edited by mercalia on 21 May 2019, 4:54pm, edited 3 times in total.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Cugel wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Quite right!

Those rightwing lunatics of the Tory stripe are not so daft, as they see the opportunity to turn Britain into a facist state in which they are the bigwigs.

There are pretty nasty people leading the way, but I'm not sure the Boris-supporting Tory members fit that description. I think the No Deal Tories are mostly scared, deluded, insular, and not a little selfish. They probably have no idea what kind of project they are supporting.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

bovlomov wrote:
Cugel wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Quite right!

Those rightwing lunatics of the Tory stripe are not so daft, as they see the opportunity to turn Britain into a facist state in which they are the bigwigs.

There are pretty nasty people leading the way, but I'm not sure the Boris-supporting Tory members fit that description. I think the No Deal Tories are mostly scared, deluded, insular, and not a little selfish. They probably have no idea what kind of project they are supporting.

It dont matter to them as they are well off and can afford to indulge their fantasies without them coming back to haunt them
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

bovlomov wrote:
Cugel wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Quite right!

I don't agree with the use of "fascist". No-one expects a knock on the door in the middle of the night, although we should guard against any movement in that direction.

But i think many of the politically active do know exactly what they are supporting: a low regulation, high inequality, small government state. They helpfully wrote a book to describe it, calling the British "among the worst idlers in the world." - a fact those believing these ideologues are on the side of the working class might do well to note.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Unchained
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

reohn2 wrote:

Quite right!

It is those liberals that foolishly imagine that you can have countries without borders. those people from nowhere, that have made sure we have arrived at nowhere. EU Superstate brainwashing has it's tentacles in every vestige of the establishment, time to wean ourselves away from its' toxic nipple.