** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
andrec

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by andrec »

Oldjohnw wrote:I never have been ruled by a foreign government or parliament.

I was just being polite and maintaining the pretence that the EU parliament has power. Of course we all know it doesn't - that's why the turnout at EU elections is always low, nobody can name their local MEPs and why interest in the sessions of the EU parliament is effectively zero with even the BBC totally ignoring them. The power in the EU is held by a small group of unelected people and their obedient unelected bureaucracy. I'm pleased that Brexit means these people will no longer have any authority in the UK. Not long now. We'll soon be like the vast majority of countries in the world, ruled by our own law makers in our domestic parliament. Anyone who laments this happy development has many options available to them, including of course staying in the UK and complaining about it to the amusement of everyone else.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Hobbs1951 wrote:....with no interest except their own self interest and narrow flat earther, science denier, little England views.
Must confess, I'm sort of drifting towards the "flat earther" persuasion, myself. It's all good fun! Mind you, I was a bit perplexed on my recent South American trip when I discovered that all the constellations in the sky had changed. That oughtn't to happen if the Earth is flat.... :shock:

Ah well, at least I've discovered where the Moon landings were faked :roll: :lol: . And probably the Mars missions too. Here, in the midst of the Atacama desert.
atacama 01.jpg

with not a life-form in sight, as you can see! Of course, they'd have had to photoshop in the dark sky and all that stuff. :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

And Buzz Aldrin told me in person he walked on the moon.

John.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

One good things about Boris taking over - there cant be 2 jerks in the cabinet so Chris Grayling Good Bye. Here a review of this achievments

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... GTUK_email
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I see the moon landing deniers are coming out to play again.
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Oldjohnw wrote:I see the moon landing deniers are coming out to play again.

I used to feel that such folk only needed to be shown why they were wrong to get them onto the straight and narrow.

It turned out that even when confronted by irrefutable proof that one or other of their theories was in fact nonsense they'd only temporarily accept it and then it'd be back the next day all arguments against forgotten.
So you can't win, or at least you can't win simply by presenting them with evidence.
Fortunately they're a small group, the internet just makes them seem bigger than they really are.

As an aside we have a huge conspiracy theorist at work. He also believes the moon landings are a hoax.
Somewhat bizarrely he was talking about a video where Stanley Kubrick openly admits to filming them, he even claims to have seen it.
I asked to see this so called admission but he can't find it. He claims it's been taken down by the powers-that-be.
So not only does he believe he's seen something that doesn't exist but he and everyone else involved have lost what could be a fairly important piece of evidence in their favour. How have they managed that?
He's not stupid but it just goes to show how delusional humans can be.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

kwackers wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I see the moon landing deniers are coming out to play again.

I used to feel that such folk only needed to be shown why they were wrong to get them onto the straight and narrow.

It turned out that even when confronted by irrefutable proof that one or other of their theories was in fact nonsense they'd only temporarily accept it and then it'd be back the next day all arguments against forgotten.
So you can't win, or at least you can't win simply by presenting them with evidence.
Fortunately they're a small group, the internet just makes them seem bigger than they really are.

As an aside we have a huge conspiracy theorist at work. He also believes the moon landings are a hoax.
Somewhat bizarrely he was talking about a video where Stanley Kubrick openly admits to filming them, he even claims to have seen it.
I asked to see this so called admission but he can't find it. He claims it's been taken down by the powers-that-be.
So not only does he believe he's seen something that doesn't exist but he and everyone else involved have lost what could be a fairly important piece of evidence in their favour. How have they managed that?
He's not stupid but it just goes to show how delusional humans can be.

These must the same "folks" that screamed the remain didn't really lose the vote because Putin brainwashed 17,410,742 voters, but that was only his practise run before he did the same to America and put Trump in power. 3 years later there is still no credible evidence that any of this even remotely happened. The most embarrassing lickspittle conspiracy theories have been spewed by the largely left controlled media and their hysterical frothing supporters on the web.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

windmiller wrote:These must the same "folks" that screamed the remain didn't really lose the vote because Putin brainwashed 17,410,742 voters, but that was only his practise run before he did the same to America and put Trump in power. 3 years later there is still no credible evidence that any of this even remotely happened. The most embarrassing lickspittle conspiracy theories have been spewed by the largely left controlled media and their hysterical frothing supporters on the web.

No one has suggested 17,410,742 voters were brainwashed. That's not how advertising and propaganda work.

There is evidence of Russian involvement, both in Brexit and in Trump's campaign. There is evidence of collusion and there is evidence for Russian based troll farms.

I don't understand the context for the word 'lickspittle'.

The 'largely left controlled media' does not exist and the left does not have a huge web presence (at least according to normal definitions). At present, many on the left are supporters of Brexit.

In summary, I'd argue with just about everything you have posted.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

windmiller wrote:These must the same "folks" that screamed the remain didn't really lose the vote because Putin brainwashed 17,410,742 voters, but that was only his practise run before he did the same to America and put Trump in power. 3 years later there is still no credible evidence that any of this even remotely happened. The most embarrassing lickspittle conspiracy theories have been spewed by the largely left controlled media and their hysterical frothing supporters on the web.

Everything's a conspiracy these days. Left, right, middle - doesn't matter. Folk gather the "evidence" that suits and repeat it ad-nauseam until both they and their followers believe it.

Was it true? No idea.
My limited understanding is that significant Russian traffic was detected by social media and internet providers and some of the nonsense was traced back to them.
Is it likely? Yeah why not? Both them and us have played these games now for many decades, I doubt given the chance they'd pass up on it.

Your statement seems just as sensationalist and hysterical as you claim the remainers where.
"Putin brainwashed 17,410,742 voters" - is that actually a quote or did you make it up? How do you know it wasn't 17,410,741?
Perhaps it was just Boris...

Maybe we just brainwashed ourselves, there's no doubt that I kept reading the same daft claims day after day after day regardless of whether they'd been discredited or not.
Last edited by kwackers on 19 Jul 2019, 5:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

"screamed"
"lickspittle"
"spewed"

Now, what were you saying about hysterical frothing?
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

roubaixtuesday wrote:

"screamed"
"lickspittle"
"spewed"

Now, what were you saying about hysterical frothing?

I used the words in logical context, while you used them to pad out your outrage.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

bovlomov wrote:

No one has suggested 17,410,742 voters were brainwashed. That's not how advertising and propaganda work.

There is evidence of Russian involvement, both in Brexit and in Trump's campaign. There is evidence of collusion and there is evidence for Russian based troll farms.

I don't understand the context for the word 'lickspittle'.

The 'largely left controlled media' does not exist and the left does not have a huge web presence (at least according to normal definitions). At present, many on the left are supporters of Brexit.

In summary, I'd argue with just about everything you have posted.

Well given your previous posts I would be surprised if you didn't
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

windmiller wrote:
bovlomov wrote:In summary, I'd argue with just about everything you have posted.

Well given your previous posts I would be surprised if you didn't

Yes, but there's quite a lot of evidence to support my view. I'm not so sure about yours.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

windmiller wrote:...because Putin brainwashed 17,410,742 voters
Among crazy ideas, that really takes the biscuit! Do you really think Remainers are accusing Putin (or anyone else) of 'brainwashing' millions of people? What about the sizeable proportion of those 17 million who have since changed their minds (according to polls)? Have they been 'un-brainwashed'? 'Brain-dirtied' or whatever the correct phrase is? :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

661-Pete wrote:
windmiller wrote:...because Putin brainwashed 17,410,742 voters
Among crazy ideas, that really takes the biscuit! Do you really think Remainers are accusing Putin (or anyone else) of 'brainwashing' millions of people? What about the sizeable proportion of those 17 million who have since changed their minds (according to polls)? Have they been 'un-brainwashed'? 'Brain-dirtied' or whatever the correct phrase is? :lol:

ok so is there some kind of remainer amnesia of this thread history going on, because it sure looks like it :roll:

Oh so the polls have decided that many of us have changed our minds. Those accurate mind reading polls that have been so great at predicticting future events so far have just got to be right :lol: