** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Thank cod! at long last, this thread has descended into puns.

Call yourself a Moderator? You're too moderate by half. I want you to be tough on silliness and tough on the causes of silliness. We're heading for Soft Moderation, I tell you, when we all voted overwhelmingly for Hard Moderation and all the many benefits that it brings. About time we brought silliness home after years of Euro silliness if you ask me. I'm not having those Euro-peans telling me how to be silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIVilRyWzO4

Do it properly will you?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lefP0_ZM-Lw
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Indeed!
A sharkish eye for problems is required.
Though I might say I think you've been a whale of a moderator.
Though trawling thought the whole thread your catch seems rather meagre.

Perhaps you not been using EU regulation net mesh?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Indeed!

Yep,she's a moderator with porpoise :wink:
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

reohn2 wrote:

Oh yes!! :D
The humour's sealed in now.

I hope no-one gets crabby about it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Oh yes!! :D
The humour's sealed in now.

Watertight :wink:

I hope no-one gets crabby about it.

I think we nipped that one in the bud :wink:
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

do you believe the sunday express ?
"Brexit shock: No deal will cost EU £500billion"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/904339/brexit-news-eu-uk-no-deal-free-trade-agreement-economists-for-free-trade
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Not normally, it's worse than the mail. The mail at least is fairly rational in the perspective of its agenda. The express just comes across as rather demented.

Anyway, isn't that just the minford/EFT analysis again? He's a bit of a lone voice and relies on outdated models (his classic Liverpool trade model for example does not take account of proximity).

Minford/EFT are very much in the ultra libertarian camp when it comes to economic policy and support the kind of singapore model that will lead to vastly increased inequality and relies on an any fin goes attitude to immigration.

Edit: Shoehorned a fish pun in there..
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Stevek76 wrote:
......Edit: Shoehorned a fish pun in there..

Dutifuly noted :wink:
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:Thank cod! at long last, this thread has descended into puns.

+1 but:
Should one not write "ascended into puns"? Could soon be a pun-net problem at Wombledon cos there will be no-one to pick the strawberries
Let them eat parsnips!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Getting back on track...................will the discussion of Brexit ever go away.............probably not even in 50 years time.
IIRC but it was Juncker or another high ranking EU, actually used the word fear, not to describe the UK but their own situation.
Makes we wonder if all the EU rhetoric has finally come home.
Well when I woke that morning after counting and was surprised at the result, the hatred started, no one could deny that there was a switch in the way the UK was described by the EU from that day.................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Getting back on track...................will the discussion of Brexit ever go away.............probably not even in 50 years time.
IIRC but it was Juncker or another high ranking EU, actually used the word fear, not to describe the UK but their own situation.
Well when I woke that morning after counting and was surprised at the result, the hatred started, no one could deny that there was a switch in the way the UK was described by the EU from that day.................

Except they also realise that giving the UK a sweetheart deal is worse for them than maintaining their rules and regs
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/19/europe-wake-up-drastic-financial-consequences-hard-brexit-netherlands-uk wrote:The Netherlands knows what it will lose if the UK crashes out. It is less than the price of giving Britain a sweet deal
On Thursday the Dutch government published a report drawn up by the consultancy firm KPMG analysing the consequences of a “no-deal” Brexit in which the UK leaves the EU without an agreement on 29 March 2019. Here are the practical implications and cold numbers behind the hot-headed rhetoric about no deal with the EU being “better than a bad deal” for Britain ...

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:do you believe the sunday express ?
"Brexit shock: No deal will cost EU £500billion"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/904339/brexit-news-eu-uk-no-deal-free-trade-agreement-economists-for-free-trade

They say Britain will gain £433 billion in tariffs on goods imported from the EU.
The tariffs will be added onto the price of the goods and will be paid by British consumers as is normal with customs duties. All that would happen is £433 billion would be transferred from our pockets to the government. This new "tax" would be highly regressive as the same rate would apply to both both rich and poor. Probably enable the Tories to reduce income tax for the wealthy though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Easy to miss this...

A poll conducted by the manufacturer’s organisation, EEF, found that 40 per cent of the companies questioned were planning for growth in 2018. Britain’s manufacturers are more upbeat about the state of the global economy than at any time since 2014 and believe demand from overseas will sustain their businesses. Investment into the UK’s tech sector reached an all-time high in 2017, creating more opportunities. UK-based firms attracted £2.99 billion of new funding – almost twice as much as 2016’s total of £1.63 billion. This was almost four times more funding in 2017 than in Germany, where investment totalled £694 million last year, and more than France, Ireland and Sweden combined. In the UK film industry, big films in 2016 contributed £7.7 billion to the UK economy – 80 per cent more than five years earlier. The Markit/CIPS UK Manufacturing purchasing managers' index showed a 51-month high. Manufacturing output and new orders have both expanded throughout the past 17 months. In addition, more businesses were established in the UK last year than in any of the world’s other developed economies - some 218,000 new businesses in the UK last year, a 6 per cent rise year-on-year. The UK is also the world’s best prepared country to make the most of Artificial Intelligence and high-tech industries, which create higher paying jobs in communities across the UK. Finally, the UK topped the Forbes annual survey for the first time of the best countries in which to do business.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

It would have been forgotten by now if it had gone the other way :(
But I fear it will be remembered in 500 years
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Macron has admitted to Andrew Marr in an interview the other day that France would vote out if they had a referendum. *If* that's the case, why doesn't he submit to the will of the people, have a vote and let them decide? Its ironic considering how hard DeGaulle worked to keep Britain from joining the EEC.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.