** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by 661-Pete »

Quickly. Let's take a step back from government/parliament/politician-bashing and look at the basics.

To me it's stark and simple. Theresa's deal[s] were bad. Bojo's deal is worse. No-deal is worst of all. Everyone knows what I want.

If I were an MP, I would still vote against Bojo's deal. Even if this brought about the worst outcome. There's always hope of recovery, given time.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You've summed it up for me too. Thanks.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

There you are. Agreement (sort of) - even if our ultimate objectives are quite the opposite..
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

One thing's for sure,the whole debacle has shown up UK politics for what it is,a class ridden mess.
To think anyone would vote in a GE for such a complete and utter self seeking moron,clown and liar for one thing-Brexit-,goes to show how shortsighted the UK electorate really is.
Still waiting for any facts that show the UK will benefit in any way by leaving the EU,leaves me in no doubt that half the country will believe any jaded bluster and lies without any facts to back up such trope,told to them by self seeking millionaires and billionaires,some of whom don't even live in the UK,and whose sole remit is to make themselves richer and more powerful.
People wishing to turn this country into a corrupt tax haven for anyone who wishes aviod paying tax and accumulate more of wealth and power whilst the ordinary wo/man beg for whatever crumbs fall from their table.
I find the whole circus utterly bizarre and the people supporting such a mess as bad as the authors of it,you're being hoodwinked and can't even see it!

Rant over.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:
To me it's stark and simple. Theresa's deal[s] were bad. Bojo's deal is worse. No-deal is worst of all. Everyone knows what I want.

While I would like the same as you, I wonder if you would care to expand on why you think it's worse than Ms May's?

As I read , it is much the same with the exception of the Irish question.
Personally I can see some benefits to having a customs frontier in the Irish Sea rather than across the island of Ireland.
The mere irony of the mess there is enough to make one weep.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Just reading the "Live" article from Guardian (updated throughout day as events occur) and Johnson makes statements and my first thought every time is "lies" - not because of what he says but because he is now so untrustworthy I think he can no longer tell the differenc ebetween truth and lies. Either that or he is so ready to reneg on an agreement anything he agrees to might be void 20 seconds later.
e.g just reported
“Our National Health Service will not be on the table” in future trade talks, Johnson tells MPs.

Does anybody believe that will hold true at lunchtime?

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:Just reading the "Live" article from Guardian (updated throughout day as events occur) and Johnson makes statements and my first thought every time is "lies" - not because of what he says but because he is now so untrustworthy I think he can no longer tell the differenc ebetween truth and lies. Either that or he is so ready to reneg on an agreement anything he agrees to might be void 20 seconds later.
e.g just reported
“Our National Health Service will not be on the table” in future trade talks, Johnson tells MPs.

Does anybody believe that will hold true at lunchtime?

Ian

He's like Trump in that respect,I don't think he even cares.His lies are 'in the moment' quite simply he makes it up as he goes along.I don't believe he has any kind of strategy other than saying what comes to mind at the time.
There's no future projection with such people they just hope people will forget what they've said because it was yesterday and as yesterday doesn't exist anymore it isn't there.
So long as those around them allow them to carry on in their lies and don't nail them on it they'll trip merrily along in their self made world of lies and deceit.
Such people are never wrong and so don't need to conform to any standard set for the job they do or position they hold.
The worst of it is that it's contagious to those around them or the people who support them,they actually begin to believe the lies they themselves tell.
The brexit cult(for that is what it is) is a classic example of belief in outright barefaced liars,Davies,Farage,BoJo,Fox,Gove and Raab's,and lie peddlers who funded and backed these people are their heroes and saviors :shock: .

The whole shebang is built on a foundation of lies and deciet,believed and swallowed by the poor schmucks who'll suffer the most when or if the brown smelly stuff all hits the fan.
Those instigators of such lunacy and lies won't feel a thing because their £millions will cushion them from the impact,£millions made from the schmucks who believe in them,money that can be moved around to where it best serves them to retain their elevated positions,and all done under the auspices of upright decency,these people are gutter rats in thousand £ suites whisked around in expensive cars with blacked out windows,Sickening.
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The NHS was not the biggest worry, there is still the danger that we will no longer be able to cap the price of drugs
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:The NHS was not the biggest worry, there is still the danger that we will no longer be able to cap the price of drugs

Thats one of the big faulures of USA health care?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:The NHS was not the biggest worry, there is still the danger that we will no longer be able to cap the price of drugs

Thats one of the big faulures of USA health care?

All depending which side of the fence you're on,the drugs companies would claim it's legitimate business practice to make as much money as possible from sick suffering people by providing eyewatering prices for the products.
Whilst the health insurance companies also do the same,whilst similarly using any small print in their well written policies to escape paying out for such treatment.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so any one here think Boris has done a good job? I do . ( though I hope he fails to get it thru ) Most here have presented him as some kind of buffoon, well he has managed to get rid of the backstop that gave the EU a veto that was intrinsic to Mays deal & her demise. Now Nth Ireland have control and can change it every 4 years. Of course the EU thinks there will never be a majority to exit the arrangement & it does undermine the power sharing between the 2 factions, but it is better than May's? So quite an accomplishment? I still do wonder though how it all works with any trade deals the UK agrees eg Trumps chickens, if Nth Ireland has to follow EU regulations. puzzled.
horizon

Post by horizon »

mercalia wrote:so any one here think Boris has done a good job? I do .

AIUI, Johnson won the backing of the ERG by going for a harder Brexit; he won the backing of the EU by creating the border in the Irish Sea. So he shafts the Unionists (no skin off my nose but they might feel differently) and gets a harder Brexit and he gets his deal. The gamble is that the ERG stay on board and compensate for the loss of DUP votes. So it's tight but if he loses then he has a winning hand for the General Election. Yes, clever, if you think that turning Britain (not the UK, that's gone) into a Third World banana state is a good thing.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:so any one here think Boris has done a good job? I do . ( though I hope he fails to get it thru ) Most here have presented him as some kind of buffoon, well he has managed to get rid of the backstop that gave the EU a veto that was intrinsic to Mays deal & her demise. Now Nth Ireland have control and can change it every 4 years. Of course the EU thinks there will never be a majority to exit the arrangement & it does undermine the power sharing between the 2 factions, but it is better than May's? So quite an accomplishment? I still do wonder though how it all works with any trade deals the UK agrees eg Trumps chickens, if Nth Ireland has to follow EU regulations. puzzled.

All he did was to revert to something the EU previously proposed but was rejected by Ms May (and revert to something he had previously forcefully said "no Prime Minister could ever agree to" - a Customs Border in the Irish Sea). NI's control is not quite what it seems because should they ever vote to discontinue the arrangements then that kicks of a period of negotiation with the EU about the border arrangements.

The biggest changes are to the Political Statement (non-binding) which the EU always said they were happy to change. The political statement has changed to a position that will be better for the ERG and worse for UK business, economy, jobs - I don't call that an "achievement".

Ian
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mercalia wrote:so any one here think Boris has done a good job.

His deal required him to do something he said, only a few weeks ago, was utterly unacceptable, and something May said no PM could ever do.

I know Johnson has no beliefs beyond self interest, but discarding even his pretended principles so casually surely can't be seen as a triumph. Still, the BBC is cheering him along, so it's all good.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

horizon wrote:
mercalia wrote:so any one here think Boris has done a good job? I do .

AIUI, Johnson won the backing of the ERG by going for a harder Brexit; he won the backing of the EU by creating the border in the Irish Sea. So he shafts the Unionists (no skin off my nose but they might feel differently) and gets a harder Brexit and he gets his deal. The gamble is that the ERG stay on board and compensate for the loss of DUP votes. So it's tight but if he loses then he has a winning hand for the General Election. Yes, clever, if you think that turning Britain (not the UK, that's gone) into a Third World banana state is a good thing.

is it a harder Brexit? That is only true if the trade talks go a certain way?. This is only the exit agreement? So every thing is up for grabs later? We can if we want have a free trade deal that aligns us with the EU as Labour wants or not. The fear over May's deal is it denied us these options? So it is an achievment to separate the two phases that the EU tried to connect to the Uks detriment?
Last edited by mercalia on 19 Oct 2019, 12:33pm, edited 2 times in total.