** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by Cugel »

RickH wrote:
horizon wrote:As the Irishman* said to the person asking directions: "Well, I wouldn't start from here if I were you!".

* Why does it always have to be an Irishman?

When I first heard it, it was a Liverpudlian!

It was Jessie, who also warned that there might be owls. He never mentioned that there might be a BoJo!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote:Fear, uncertainty and emotional attachment could equally apply to Remainers too. As for the other slurs and unwarranted insults its just par for the course in a stream of bile and hate that those who voted leave have had to put up with. Personally its like water off a ducks back. I am quite clear and confident that we are leaving which suits me fine, with or without a deal.

Al :lol:

More like a warning about Christmas off a turkey's ear. :-)

Cugel, wondering why you can't smell the stuffing either.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Re: Remainers Angst thread

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:My 'snide' laugh, as you put it, was in response to a snide laugh from one of your Remainer mates. Personally I am happy to pay a bit more for a chicken, most chickens are raised in inhumane conditions. All this intergenerational rubbish is just.....rubbish. As everyone gets older their views change, a well known fact. You can claim someone is robbing someone else of something but the truth is we all pursue the conclusion we believe in. I believe in exiting the EU like the clear majority who voted for it.

Al

What clear majority was that then?
52.9% isn't anywhere near a clear majority.

Still waiting for your sound reasons for leaving but suspecting there won't be any forthcoming as per usual
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Folk, I don't recall the issue of an E.U. Army being on the agenda in Brussels?
But apparently one of the Crony Place -Men at the Super State is talking up the need? Certainly wasn't mentioned during the Euro Elections. Or was the small print smaller than usual?
It is always said that Leavers never understood the nature of the situation if we leave, but surely the same must apply to Remainers at the ongoing morphing of the E.U.? Only the "Insiders" i.e. cronies of the Council have seen the agenda :twisted: . IGIMNCB MM

Myself, I favour the notion of an EU army. Also a navy and airforce. Perhaps most important of all, a cyberwar force. After all, they will be bigger and perhaps better than the Little England ones, which have already been cut to the bone. But perhaps you feel there is no risk from Vladimir or even that Donald? How about China? Can we Blighters see-orf a Chinese force of a few millions, perhaps with a couple of subs and a dud Yank missile?

Yes - The Empire of Europe! I would like to see it and may even erect its new flag next to my new red dragon one! :-)

Cugel, just teasing.
John Maynard Keynes
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

al_yrpal wrote:My 'snide' laugh, as you put it, was in response to a snide laugh from one of your Remainer mates. Personally I am happy to pay a bit more for a chicken, most chickens are raised in inhumane conditions. All this intergenerational rubbish is just.....rubbish. As everyone gets older their views change, a well known fact. You can claim someone is robbing someone else of something but the truth is we all pursue the conclusion we believe in. I believe in exiting the EU like the clear majority who voted for it.

Al

That's as maybe but you use it a great deal and IMPV often in a snide manner.
As for intergenerational, you suggested some had never lived without being in the EU.
Undoubtedly true but doesn't apply to me and AIUI many others on here.

It is a fact that a younger generation will not have those opportunities you used if we leave with no deal or perhaps a partial deal.
What I don't understand is why you wish to do that?

Change as we get older?
Some more than others, perhaps.
I am much as I was at 30 I think.
Still happy go lucky!
Though (slightly) less fit and nimble.
Wiser but not meaner.

I don't think the majority is that clear.
Let's test it.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

al_yrpal wrote:
100%JR wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:The EU costs us lots...

Gut feeling again :wink:
I wish I'd know this in 2016 I would have voted leave :lol:

Wouldnt have made the slightest difference. The majority felt the same and voted leave!

Al :lol:

...and ..... https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... xit-delay/

Er no they didn't.Stop spouting your bile :roll:

Al

There you go again spouting garbage."Clear" majority?Give it a rest.You're beginning to sound like a broken record.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

At least I'm consistent! Please point out the bile I must have missed it?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

reohn2 wrote:

Al

Still waiting for your sound reasons for leaving but suspecting there won't be any forthcoming as per usual

Look back at my posts and you will see them again and again. I thought you said you werent going to engage in this thread again some time back? Clue... my reasons dont need evidence or proof.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

al_yrpal wrote:my reasons dont need evidence or proof.

Which is handy, so why bother commenting?

If you have nothing to discuss one can only assume you're here because your local bridge has been taken over by homeless folk.
Debs

Post by Debs »

reohn2 wrote:

Al

51.9% even lesser so :wink:

The 37% of the electorate voted for it, the other 63% didn't.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:
Look back at my posts and you will see them again and again. I thought you said you werent going to engage in this thread again some time back? Clue... my reasons dont need evidence or proof.

Al

I've seen nothing that you've posted that convinces me(or any other remainer)that you've looked at the problems facing the UK outside the EU and moreso with the way things are being handled.
As for engaging,well TBH I can't help myself when people post so much tripe about how the UK will fare outside the EU.
Yours and any other Brexit supporter's reasons for leaving do need evidence and proof to convince the 48% of the country who voted remain.
Your attitude on such a potentially catastrophic decision for the future of the UK is one of "we won you lost get over it" which isn't constructive or one to unite the country,only to divide.But then going off your posts on this thread it doesn't surprise me in the least.

As for the way the current PM is handling the issue I wouldn't trust him to run the proverbial in a brewery YVMV mine won't.

This is a country NOT a private enterprise that makes profit for the owners and management to reap the benefits of on the backs of people who inhabit and work in it,you seem to have lost that sense of realism somewhere along the way,it you ever had it in the first place,which again doesn't surprise me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

kwackers wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:my reasons dont need evidence or proof.

Which is handy, so why bother commenting?

If you have nothing to discuss one can only assume you're here because your local bridge has been taken over by homeless folk.

All reasons need evidence or proof, as the nature of reasoning is based on such concepts. What Al means is that he has feelings - emotional responses to things - which have no evidence or proof as they are self-generated and self-contained things.

It might be possible to get at the reasons for Al having those feelings. He emits the odd clue....... Al feels foreigner-fear and an associated need to vote to leave the EU but knows not why. What we need is a trick-cyclist to dig out the hidden mental drivers for those feelings and their general expression as fear of, and intolerance for, the different.

Myself I fear the intolerant who can only tolerate "like minded folk". They have a nasty habit of ensuring there are only like-minded folk by eliminating the non-like-minded folk, one way another. Al will just shut a border and avoid Blighters who are "not one of us", Thatcher-style. Others with more drastic "solutions" to those not like themselves have been emboldened by this foolish referendum and are now openly flaunting their intolerance, from BoJo Trumpishness to football hooligan racist or islamophobic rants rendered as some sort of political journalism.

Al will reject the more extreme Jingos of course. Yes, of course.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

What Remainers will achieve is a no deal Brexit and Tory government with a massive majority lead by Boris. Well done chaps its the things that the vast majority of us didnt want. Nor did you......

Al
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:What Remainers will achieve is a no deal Brexit and Tory government with a massive majority lead by Boris. Well done chaps its the things that the vast majority of us didnt want. Nor did you......
We didn't vote for Bojo as PM - it was the extremists in the Tory party who did that.

Yes I agree he's playing the populist card for all its worth. The resemblance to Hitler (who did likewise early on in his career) grows stronger every day. I just hope he's stopped in his tracks...

What do we want? Well I can't speak for every Remainer, but I don't want either a Deal or a No-Deal. What I want is the abandonment of this whole fiasco. And I'm pretty sure, so does everyone else who doesn't pander to the populist ideal.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

al_yrpal wrote:What Remainers will achieve is a no deal Brexit and Tory government with a massive majority lead by Boris. Well done chaps its the things that the vast majority of us didnt want. Nor did you......
Al

If you don't want it then vote for Farage?
He doesn't have a manifesto but he's got a big mouth and you believed what came out of it once before (at least).
Or?