** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:May I just say that I am sure Mickf is lover of the UK.
I would say he loves it profoundly.

The tragedy for me is that some of this love does not extend over the Channel.
For there is much good (and some bad) on both sides.

We will be stronger in the coming years if we remain closely affiliated with Europe, IMV.

Para 1. Thank you.
Para 2. I don't dislike the Europeans in the slightest.
Para 3. Agree, but it depends on what you mean by "closely affiliated". That is the issue here ............... not casting UK adrift.

The UK has decided to cast itself adrift. Johnson's cake and eat it fantasy was dismissed long ago.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Psamathe wrote:All this debate about "loving your country" or "hating your country" seems a bit weird to me. I don't "love my country" nor do I hate it. I often think that strong nationalism can be the cause of so many problems in the world and with humanity.

Why should I love my country and more than I might love France or Germany or Peru or anywhere else. People are people and in any group there will be some you get on with and some you don't - and I don't see the bit of land you happen to have been born on as being a bit determinator n that regard.

Ian

Good questions.

Nations are inventions of aristocrats and other dominant collectives intent on collecting more. More territory, more subjects, more resources, more power. Historically they've exuded royals, emperors, tyrants, dictators and similar. The lower orders are subsumed into these nations whether they like it or not.

That's not to say that the lower orders can't, eventually, gain advantages of their own from belonging to a nation - assuming they aren't amongst those winnowed by being cannon-fodder or the other victims of internecine warfare between the nations and their rapacious kings & aristocracy. Nevertheless, a nation is an artificial construct,

Some nations are more obviously artificial in that they consist of many different tribes, ethnicities, religious collectives, different language speakers and so forth. Britain is one of those. One of the motives of the builders of such nations, aside from their primary motive for more power and riches, is to establish a greater stability, a longer peace and (as a consequence) a greater prosperity and well-being for all. Late in British history that motive became primary, as democracy superseded royalty.

The trend, then, has been away from tribalism and internecine warfare between competing little nations to larger nations which achieve peace and prosperity by means of overarching agreements (perhaps established as an empire, even) between competing interests, which operate via cooperation and tolerance for each other, rather than wars of dominance. The EU is perhaps one of the best modern cooperatives of this kind since it doesn't run as an empire, despite what the foolish Borisgraph readers believe. The United States is another example (or was until Trump revived the toxin of White Supremacy).

Brexit is a reversion to tribalism. It seems to have been engendered by New Aristocrats who prefer the chaos of dominance competitions & war, since they prosper win or lose. They are, these days, international; or, to be more accurate, without nationality. The very rich funding the efforts to achieve Brexit are, in fact, as unpatriotic as you can imagine, in that they're more than happy to sacrifice the wider nation in order to make a greater lump of personal power and riches for themselves.

This is as clear as day, if one cares to examine the evidence of who is funding Brexit propaganda and who or what else they are associated with. They've developed many of the old rhetorical rabble-rousing techniques to suit the modern methods of communication, which allow them a far greater reach and effectiveness in creating and swaying mob opinions. They often employ the sort of extreme and faux nationalism found in the likes of an Al post. They themselves care not a hoot for the country, it's traditions or the lower orders inhabiting it.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:The UK has decided to cast itself adrift. Johnson's cake and eat it fantasy was dismissed long ago.

The scatalogical reality of that metaphor: https://pic.twitter.com/TyUayUvOCC

Meanwhile, this weekend has seen:
· our prime mini-stirrer make the UK an international laughing stock yet again https://www.independent.ie/business/bre ... 00868.html by comparing himself to a green anger monster who had to keep moving to a new town after messing stuff up https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/s ... e-metaphor
· Brexit Minister Stephen Barclay go on TV to profess his support for a "best in class free trade deal" with the EU - errr, that'll be remaining a member of the European Union, then? We can't get a trade deal as good as that one any other way :lol:
· road signs start warning of disruption at ports on 1st November https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... g-16921633
· and most people polled in strongly-Leave-voting Grimsby repeat last November's YouGov poll result and still seem to want the second vote originally promised by Rees-Mogg and others. https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news ... te-3319804

The Leave disaster snowball just keeps on rolling on towards the edge of the frying pan, doesn't it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:......
· road signs start warning of disruption at ports on 1st November https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... 21633......

I was on the A14 around Ipswich area yesterday and the big traffic hazard warning signs were being used for warnings about ports and No-Deal Brexit. I felt it was something of a misuse of the system.

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:
mjr wrote:......
· road signs start warning of disruption at ports on 1st November https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... 21633......

I was on the A14 around Ipswich area yesterday and the big traffic hazard warning signs were being used for warnings about ports and No-Deal Brexit. I felt it was something of a misuse of the system.

Keep 'em scared = keep 'em pliable and easy to rule.

On that note, Dominic Cummings has demanded all tracking info from Government websites be fed to his office. https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexspence/bor ... voter-data
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well Jo Swinson made me laugh, the BBC reports on World at One, she wont support either a Boris or Corbyn govt. Seems like Boris is not the only one living in a fantasy world if she thinks the Liberals stand a chance of winning an election? She has only doubled the number of MPs she "has" by defections? And furthermore she wants to revoke article 50 without another referendum :roll: I wonder what funny juice she is on :lol:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:And furthermore [Jo Swinson] wants to revoke article 50 without another referendum :roll: I wonder what funny juice she is on :lol:
Not the first insult flung at Ms Swinson. People still don't get it! Were the LibDems to win a majority in a GE, this would be tantamount to a second referendum in itself, calling for the revocation of art.50. Simple as that!

And remember also that over six million signed the petition to revoke Art.50, a few months ago. This wasn't a call for a second referendum. It was a direct appeal to remain in the EU, no ifs or buts.

Moreover, the motion at the LibDem conference was overwhelmingly carried by the members in attendance. Are they all on that 'funny juice' as you put it?

Personally, I still favour (albeit reluctantly) the second referendum approach, because I think it's beyond the bounds of likelihood that the LibDems would gain an overall majority (although watch out for surprises!). The best they can hope for is to hold the balance of power. In that eventuality they would call for a second referendum, as Jo Swinson has made perfectly clear.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:well Jo Swinson made me laugh, the BBC reports on World at One, she wont support either a Boris or Corbyn govt. Seems like Boris is not the only one living in a fantasy world if she thinks the Liberals stand a chance of winning an election?

You and that BBC reporter make me laugh. The UK electorate has a bit of a problem with political pragmatism in the past, so if she says she's open to coalitions, then Cummings will run "Vote Jo = Get Chicken" ads and Labour will run "Vote Jo = Get Lying Hulk" ads. What else could she do at this point but make what I suspect are carefully-worded denials?

mercalia wrote:She has only doubled the number of MPs she "has" by defections?

Is that not part of being a successful parliamentary party leader? Do they count any less? Haven't both Conservatives and Labour accepted "defections" like Winston Churchill and "the awful Shaun Woodward" in the past? All the major parties claim to be "broad churches" or "big tents" after all, to perpetuate the myth that they can govern alone.

mercalia wrote:And furthermore she wants to revoke article 50 without another referendum :roll: I wonder what funny juice she is on :lol:

As I understand it, the theory is that a Lib Dem election win would be a stronger mandate. What funny juice are you on if you think an advisory referendum overrules a later election result?
Last edited by mjr on 16 Sep 2019, 1:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

661-Pete wrote:
mercalia wrote:And furthermore [Jo Swinson] wants to revoke article 50 without another referendum :roll: I wonder what funny juice she is on :lol:
Not the first insult flung at Ms Swinson. People still don't get it! Were the LibDems to win a majority in a GE, this would be tantamount to a second referendum in itself, calling for the revocation of art.50. Simple as that!......

I would completely agree. Particularly given the e.g. Piffle and his declining number of conservative MPs are declaring that they need an election to give them a mandate for whatever they want to do over our membership. If the Conservatives can use a General Election as a firm mandate then why not the Lib Dems?

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pete75 wrote:
Mick F wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:May I just say that I am sure Mickf is lover of the UK.
I would say he loves it profoundly.

The tragedy for me is that some of this love does not extend over the Channel.
For there is much good (and some bad) on both sides.

We will be stronger in the coming years if we remain closely affiliated with Europe, IMV.

Para 1. Thank you.
Para 3. Agree, but it depends on what you mean by "closely affiliated". That is the issue here ............... not casting UK adrift.

The UK has decided to cast itself adrift. Johnson's cake and eat it fantasy was dismissed long ago.
I was talking about MY thoughts on the matter, and MY position on Leave/Remain issues.
I don't want the UK cast adrift. Never have done.
Mick F. Cornwall
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Cugel wrote:
Psamathe wrote:All this debate about "loving your country" or "hating your country" seems a bit weird to me. I don't "love my country" nor do I hate it. I often think that strong nationalism can be the cause of so many problems in the world and with humanity.

Why should I love my country and more than I might love France or Germany or Peru or anywhere else. People are people and in any group there will be some you get on with and some you don't - and I don't see the bit of land you happen to have been born on as being a bit determinator n that regard.

Ian

Good questions.

Nations are inventions of aristocrats and other dominant collectives intent on collecting more. More territory, more subjects, more resources, more power. Historically they've exuded royals, emperors, tyrants, dictators and similar. The lower orders are subsumed into these nations whether they like it or not.

That's not to say that the lower orders can't, eventually, gain advantages of their own from belonging to a nation - assuming they aren't amongst those winnowed by being cannon-fodder or the other victims of internecine warfare between the nations and their rapacious kings & aristocracy. Nevertheless, a nation is an artificial construct,

Some nations are more obviously artificial in that they consist of many different tribes, ethnicities, religious collectives, different language speakers and so forth. Britain is one of those. One of the motives of the builders of such nations, aside from their primary motive for more power and riches, is to establish a greater stability, a longer peace and (as a consequence) a greater prosperity and well-being for all. Late in British history that motive became primary, as democracy superseded royalty.

The trend, then, has been away from tribalism and internecine warfare between competing little nations to larger nations which achieve peace and prosperity by means of overarching agreements (perhaps established as an empire, even) between competing interests, which operate via cooperation and tolerance for each other, rather than wars of dominance. The EU is perhaps one of the best modern cooperatives of this kind since it doesn't run as an empire, despite what the foolish Borisgraph readers believe. The United States is another example (or was until Trump revived the toxin of White Supremacy).

Brexit is a reversion to tribalism. It seems to have been engendered by New Aristocrats who prefer the chaos of dominance competitions & war, since they prosper win or lose. They are, these days, international; or, to be more accurate, without nationality. The very rich funding the efforts to achieve Brexit are, in fact, as unpatriotic as you can imagine, in that they're more than happy to sacrifice the wider nation in order to make a greater lump of personal power and riches for themselves.

This is as clear as day, if one cares to examine the evidence of who is funding Brexit propaganda and who or what else they are associated with. They've developed many of the old rhetorical rabble-rousing techniques to suit the modern methods of communication, which allow them a far greater reach and effectiveness in creating and swaying mob opinions. They often employ the sort of extreme and faux nationalism found in the likes of an Al post. They themselves care not a hoot for the country, it's traditions or the lower orders inhabiting it.

Cugel

Some good points here (in particular the final two paras). And whilst I consider myself a patriot, I refuse and object to be associated with the views of Little Englanders (unfortunately some reside on this thread) or those of an extreme right wing persuasion: e.g the English National Party led by Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

I am intolerant of the intolerant. I am, for example (and I have mentioned this before), ashamed of how the government has treated the Windrush generation(s).

Just an example.

John.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Cugel wrote:

Ian

Good questions.

Cugel

+1
Nice one Cudgel, the example that resonates most clearly is Yugoslavia where Milosevic, Karadzic and Co. blatantly fomented racial hatred purely to fulfill their own political ambitions. They were adjudged war criminals - I see Boris Johnson doing exactly the same, where will Boris face his accusers?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Are you saying Boris is a war criminal?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Para 1. Thank you.

I was talking about MY thoughts on the matter, and MY position on Leave/Remain issues.
I don't want the UK cast adrift. Never have done.

Well you shouldn't have voted for that to happen should you?
The have cake and eat it fantasies propounded by the leave campaign in order to get the result they wanted were abandoned by tehm once they'd served their purpose.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok.
(shrugs shoulders)

I want us out. Should have done it years and years ago. Should never have joined in the first place.
Probably too late now.

I have no issues in co-operation, no issues in trade and easy accesses, or living and working etc. Passport controls and work visas please.
We can have all these things without being united with Europe. Small step to a USE. Get out whilst we can.

It's the Tory governments that are to blame for the mess we're in.
Mick F. Cornwall