** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote: The general public don't get a say.
The trouble is, we did.
Had the Remain vote won, Cameron would probably still be PM.

As we voted Leave, it's a complete mess.

The whole issue with remainers which amounted to 48% of voters in the referendum is that the leave campaing was illegally funded and posted and boast abject lies.
Add to that the overwhelming evidence that leaving will to a greater or lesser extent leave the UK worse f economically,environmentally and as a result socially.
That's why it's so hard for remain voters to accept it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

So the LibDems are right after all:

"[rude word removed] to Brexit!
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I'm a moderate sort of person but not in a political sense I suppose. I still want us out of the EU, but there must be a way to extricate us from it in a moderate sort of way and not an extremist sort of way.

For my part, I'd like us to leave in a Slowly Slowly Catchee Monkey sort of way. Unwind us from it, and not cut the ropes and set us adrift.

I still want us out though, and the sooner we can slowly unwind ourselves from it, the better.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Taking back control: letting 125000 (or thereabouts) Conservative Party members decide who will the PM that takes the country forward (or not) into Bexit.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:the leave campaing was illegally funded and posted and boast abject lies.
This is where many folk are wrong, not in the facts, but the funding made no difference to much of the vote IMHO.

Millions of us have wanted us Out for donkey's years. Farage and his ilk had never been heard of twenty or thirty years ago.
I paid no attention to any of the campaigns. I had no need to as I knew how to vote, and given the opportunity, I would continue to vote Out just like I would have done since I was eighteen years old.
Mick F. Cornwall
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Vorpal wrote:Taking back control: letting 125000 (or thereabouts) Conservative Party members decide who will the PM that takes the country forward (or not) into Bexit.

Hopefully Parliament will decide the outcome, regardless of who is chosen by Tory members.

By the way, I recently heard that there's been a huge wave of entryists. But Brexit Party supporters won't be excluded because the Brexit Party has no members - it only has supporters. Another way in which UK democratic structures are unfit for the modern world.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Mick F wrote:Millions of us have wanted us Out for donkey's years. Farage and his ilk had never been heard of twenty or thirty years ago. I paid no attention to any of the campaigns. I had no need to as I knew how to vote, and given the opportunity, I would continue to vote Out just like I would have done since I was eighteen years old.

All polls and elections over the previous decade suggest that leaving the EU was a minority interest. Most people didn't care that much.

They were made to care by a concerted - and partly illegal - campaign by billionaire media operators, and advertising. I know everyone thinks it doesn't affect them, but the evidence shows that it does. That's why advertisers advertise. It works.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

So what? I didn't hear you complaining all the other times lies were told at the ballot box or in parliament. It seems you only see fit to complain about such things when the vote doesn't go your way.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:So the LibDems are right after all:

"<i>[rude word removed]</i> to Brexit!

Quite right and why I(along with Alister Campbell :shock: )voted LibDem last Thursday :wink:
W H Auden
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:So what? I didn't hear you complaining all the other times lies were told at the ballot box or in parliament. It seems you only see fit to complain about such things when the vote doesn't go your way.

What an odd thing to say.

I do complain about lies. Most other people on this forum do the same.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
reohn2 wrote:the leave campaing was illegally funded and posted and boast abject lies.
This is where many folk are wrong, not in the facts, but the funding made no difference to much of the vote IMHO.

Millions of us have wanted us Out for donkey's years. Farage and his ilk had never been heard of twenty or thirty years ago.
I paid no attention to any of the campaigns. I had no need to as I knew how to vote, and given the opportunity, I would continue to vote Out just like I would have done since I was eighteen years old.

I think you'll find that the millions you mention were in a minority of the electorate and which was swelled to 52% by the leave party's lies and threats of being overun by foreigners stealing our jobs and housing,claiming benefits,along with further erroneos claims of the UK being run from Brussels.
W H Auden
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

Mick F wrote:This is where many folk are wrong, not in the facts, but the funding made no difference to much of the vote IMHO.

Mick, if somebody else had said this, would you not wonder why that money was spent if it wasn't going to make any difference?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:So what? I didn't hear you complaining all the other times lies were told at the ballot box or in parliament. It seems you only see fit to complain about such things when the vote doesn't go your way.

I think you'll find that some of us do complain about abject p*** poor excuse for politicians not being truthful.The other thing is that those politicians can be voted out in five years or less,not so brexit which is a once in a lifetime chance.
That's why it's more important than a GE to get it right for the good of all the people in the nation and not just a few.
Last edited by reohn2 on 29 May 2019, 10:27am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so the wannabe PM list goes on and on now some guy called James Cleverly who has only been an MP for 4 years thinks he will have a go and compares himself to Cameron and Blair

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48439908

Not delivering Brexit at all would be "significantly more damaging" than no deal, Conservative leadership candidate James Cleverly has said.

god help us with these never-wases.

any one here might like to add their name to the Leadership List - seems like any one can as long as you can speak tough

why cannt one of these so-and-sos say that the referendum has been respected by parliament, found to be impossible and the 17M who voted for Brexit are WRONG
georgew

Post by georgew »

I find it interesting that in this whole thread, there is scant if any interest expressed in Scotland's position in the Brexit debacle. As is the case with the British media, everything, and I mean everything, is about England and this at a time when every council area in Scotland, apart from Orkney and Shetland (traditionally Lib Dems) voted for the SNP's EU remain position. The Labour Party was completely wiped out with a derisory vote and with no MEPs elected, but again this is not worthy of interest. Now, this is an extraordinary result but evokes no interest, not a whit or a jottle from those south of the border.
The truth of the matter seems to be that in England, nobody cares about Scotland. Down south everyone, as here in this forum, is completely wrapped up in this battle of political personalities and infighting which in England now passes for politics. I imagine that this will be the case here in this forum and elsewhere until once more the Independence issue is raised and then we become for a little while, worthy of attention.